G-Major LXXXII

Denniz

Where's my breakfast?
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:
  • Expansion: Brave New World
  • Victory Condition: Culture (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Prince
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Map Type: Archipelago
  • Speed: Marathon
  • Leader: Venice (Enrico Dandolo)
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: SV8
  • Date: 18th March to 1st May 2017
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Note: 3 update rather than 2

Hi! I submitted my first HOF game today, on this theme, am I right to think that just submitting as a regular game will get noted on the gauntlet?
Thanks for making this challenge, I may be new and my gameplay cranky but I like to give things my best. :)

HooperJ, glad to see you give this a go! I have had very little time to play the last couple weeks, so I will try this one in the next month.
Did you conquer any Ai civs along the way to the culture victory?

To answer your question: Yes, if you used the settings above, your game will qualify for the gauntlet, as long as you followed the rules at http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ5/rules.php

Looking at these settings more closely, I would think a conquest-based culture victory is probably the way to go. Conquest on Marathon is easier than on slower speeds, and Venice's Great Galleasses pack a mean punch.

Develop enough tourism with Wonders/Great Works to beat the lowest culture AI civ after wiping out everybody else. Or else, do a modified Greek Liberation Strategy where you conquer an AI civ early, then sell/gift it to Alexander late so that it has very low culture for sure, while still building your tourism through Wonders/Great Works. Have to give that a shot.

As a matter of fact, that is what I ended up doing (almost to that effect) - my write-up is here https://justpaste.it/14wop. I ended up using the Great Galleys to conquer all but one of the AI capitals - as I figured that taking each civ's top 1-2 strongest cities should set them back culturally enough for when I got great works. I didn't think of completely wiping out all but 1 civ, and come to think of it France did delay my victory a bit (from an efficiency point of view) though wasn't too much trouble for a couple musicians. I guess I wasn't feeling that mean, and didn't want to be alone, Venice needs subjects to rule! (I played this one with historic Mediterranean civ's).
Btw how come your second strategy only works for Alexander?

Last edited:
Well, vadalaz discovered that the Greeks ALMOST always (like 95+% of the time regardless of game state) liberate a totally wiped out civ's capital if you sell or gift them that capital, thus reviving that AI civ in the game. If you conquer that first civ early enough (hard to do in this gauntlet), you don't even need any tourism points from Great Works or Wonders. If you complete Liberty and get a Great Musician, the Great Musician will do a default concert tour of 100 tourism in the revived civ in a standard speed game if you have zero tourism points. Thus, you can have Alexander revive that capital near game end, and then get the concert tour in that civ and wipe out Alexander as soon as possible (provided you already wiped out everyone else) to earn a culture win!

Nice strategy by you, and great historical synergy!

Nice, interesting strat.
Hey thanks. Just realised the deadline for this challenge is 1st of May, not 1st April like the G-Minor, means I didn't have to cram-play it last weekend :crazyeye:.
Much more sensible though, I had thought 2 weeks for a marathon game was a bit intense!
Also, what's the thinking behind the rule of having play-sessions at least 30 mins long?

FWIW, first try was > 800 turns... Second was ~150 better. Some of the war-gods might be able to do a CB/XB rush much earlier? Not sure.

There are 104-120 turn (marathon!) culture victories by "The usual suspects" in the table viewer. These seem to be all from an earlier gauntlet, where a GM bomb was used, and it was Great Plains. The discussion for that one might help people:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/g-major-lviii.544203/

With Archipelago, there's no way I can see of doing the same. On std speed 255 is the quickest cult/archi in the viewer.

I found that Galleasses were great, but teched to Navigation as fast as possible as Frigates could get to each new victim so much faster. if you only have one G fleet, upon upgrade to frigates, you can probably split it in two :)

Enjoyed Marathon much more than I was expecting. They do not seem to take 3x the time, as there is less to do each turn,

Thanks Zlither I had a read.
So I've had a second attempt, trying for using great galleys to take out all except Greece, then use a GM bomb on liberated AI as I take out Greece - however this is ineffective (in terms of getting a CV early) - as by the time Great Galleys are out, most AI's have at least 1500 culture under their belt, making the 300 from GM irrelevant.
I took out all civ's by turn 450, and had morocco cap liberated on its own remaining, but with 8 tourism it was predicting CV in 500 turns.
On reflection I realise my mistake was taking out the civ's with high culture first, as the low culture ones were allowed to keep accumulating. So if going a Galley-reliant route I'd recommend taking out the least cultured first - to put their culture on pause, ideally before they go over 300 culture (realistic?), till you liberate them at the end. Either that or you would need to rush one civ early on in the game - either hope they're on your island, or rush embark Tech and land units.
I'd be interested to know how a Sacred Sites strategy compares.

Last edited:
@Zlither,

Agree that Marathon is cool because it is somewhat relaxing! I hate playing "Quick" because everything is so compressed and there is little margin for error. Everything just feels rushed. Marathon is breezy in comparison :). And yes, Frigates are awesome! The be-all end-all of naval warfare. The tough part is that if you Galleas "rush" with a beeline to Compass, then you have to go back and work through the tech tree to Education and beyond which takes a bit of time to work through.

@HooperJ,

Your instincts and observations are spot on! I just got a full game in and I'll do a write-up in the next post.

A Sacred Sites strategy is always faster than a straight "build up tourism" victory, except in the case of Venice (as they cannot really city spam) and on some Deity settings. Perhaps some Immortal settings too, but Sacred Sites has proven to be fastest on some Deity settings as well.

The "Greek liberation" culture win can beat Sacred Sites culture wins on smaller maps or on standard or larger maps with easy conquest terrain (like Great Plains). With Venice, conquest-driven culture wins are still probably the way to go except at very high difficulty levels.

Of course, OCC (One City Challenge) culture wins would basically force you to "build up tourism" to beat at least one AI civ, as conquered caps are automatically destroyed (so no Greek liberation) and Sacred Sites is worthless with a max of 1 city... I am not sure I ever played an OCC culture game.

Write-up on sub-T400 win and tries that preceded it
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Historical Flavor - Whenever I play Venice, I make it a point to backstab at least 1 ally and crowd someone's borders so I can lie about intention to invade when pressed by AI civs about the troops on the border! The numerous trade routes and required diplomatic manipulations at times to play Venice effectively match up to history quite nicely!

Annoying new facet of the game I have never seen before: In my final game, my early puppet city refused to build a building I had the tech for. It could build a barracks (which would have been very helpful when I purchased Great Galleasses later), but it refused to! It sat there with a blank build queue instead. What is up with that?

Settings: My first three tries were with

3 billion years (for maximum hills/mountains for production)
Temperate (Hot gives too many plains and blank desert for my liking)
High Sea Level - My thinking was that Venice has only one city anyway, so the size of the initial island is not crucial. You may be giving up an increased chance for huts or sharing an island with an AI, but there is a bit less land and space for AI civs to expand, which is helpful. A little safeguard to avoid having a non-coastal capital or expansion city from the AI civs, as well. This turned out to be not the best idea!

AI civs: Germany, Mongolia, Denmark, Portugal, Songhai, Morocco, Greece
(Greece for the potential late liberation, and a general mix of non-crazy expansion, non-hyper wonder builders, and non-culture focused AI leaders.)

------------------------------

Try 01:

As usual, I took the first reasonably playable map and played a while to get a feel for the settings. As is too often the case, the map layout looks great in hindsight, but I screwed up things without a good feel for the settings. A bunch of Gauntlets have seemed to have my first test map be the best one I would ever get, and of course I screwed most or all of them up with suboptimal play :)

There were a bunch of city-states nearby for trade routes and potential Great Merchant takeovers, and at least 3 pretty close AI civs for trade routes and later early conquests. Had two huts on my island that yielded Faith and Culture, so pretty ideal...

I went full Liberty, in order to get the free Great Musician if needed (probably) or else to get Great Scientist Liberty finisher to speed up rush to Compass (as I usually do with Galleas rushes) with the added bonus of getting the free Great Merchant with the "free Settler" social policy in the tree.

The big problem was, I rushed the 2 Great Merchants to take over city-states ASAP to get internal trade routes going. Nice in theory, but terrible in practice on Prince difficulty and Marathon speed. Prince is the difficulty level where happiness issues start cropping up relatively early in your expansion. At Marathon speed, city-states advance extremely slowly. Thus, early grabbing of city-states yields you unhappiness issues. along with a small, weak expansion city with little infrastructure. And you cannot choose the build orders, which means walls and caravansaries get built before more useful buildings at a slow marathon pace.

Just had to give the game up, hamstrung by happiness as much as anything else.

----------------------------

Try 02:

Got a start with decent food and hills and two salt, so I ran with it. Amended my plan to only grab one city-state with a Great Merchant, and use the other Great Merchant to get cash and influence. Stayed with Full Liberty strategy.

Played all the way through teching Compass but gave it up after finding that I could not reach the last three AI civs via shallow water connections. Had to wait until Frigates, and my tech was pretty weak. Perhaps High Sea Level was not the way to go, though I still stuck with it afterward.

With only one Great Merchant giving cash, I only had enough money to buy two Great Galleasses upon reaching Compass. Had to hard-build the rest, which slowed down tech acquisition as well. Prince is a high enough level that it takes a pretty decent force to demand tribute from city-states, so that did not supply any income. Also, there were precious few city states in our region of the world and the AI civs were kind of far away, so there were no good early trade routes for cash.

-----------------------------

Try 03: sub-T500 victory

Was hoping to get a better map layout with a good starting island, but lo and behold, Portugal started on my same island, so it was even better.

A lot of good news/bad news in this weird game. I started cranking out archers hoping to take Lisbon before their civ reached 300 culture.
Well, Maria the First went Honor, which meant she had a Great General, a spearman (from an upgrade?) and an archer! Plus, Lisbon was like a fortified camp, on the coast surrounded by flat hexes yet having forest on all hexes two spaces away except one. I had to build four archers and assault the city patiently. Meaning I captured it after it had amassed 380+ culture, so an early 300 Tourism Great Musician Concert tour would not be enough to achieve cultural influence..

The brilliant thing about this was that captured Lisbon had two luxuries nearby, and it allowed me to have a couple internal trade routes without having to spend a Great Merchant on purchasing a city-state.

The bad news? I was in an isolated region of the world with no shallow water connections to any other AI civs! High Sea Level was not a good call. I contacted Mongolia and Germany by seeing them across ocean water, but that was it. Also, there were only 4 city-states in our ocean. 2 were Maritime hostile, 1 was Maritime neutral, and 1 was Mercantile friendly. The luck which saved this situation was that the Mercantile friendly civ Vilnius had iron. Thus. my two Great Merchants went to Vilnius in time, amassing influence and garnering 6000 gold.

My other strategy change for this game was to go Tradition instead of full Liberty at the start. Liberty had yielded little reward for my Venetian Empire for its culture costs, so I decided to start a bit in Tradition and then work to the free Great Merchant in Liberty, once I saw I shared an island with Portugal. I figured I could generate enough tourism to beat an early conquered and revived Portugal without the free Great Musician if need be. Once it was certain I was isolated from all the other AI civs, I knew I needed to tech to Navigation for the Frigates and Caravels ASAP, so finishing Tradition was the way to go. The free Great Merchant from Liberty thus came pretty late, but it still arrived before conquest began. Besides, as the Doge of Venice, I was not so concerned for the liberty of my subjects; tradition and control were the keys! This meant no early free worker, but fortunately I got a worker from capturing a Portuguese Settler and later stole a worker from a city state after one had finally built a worker.

My early archer rush meant that my capital was very small and lacked early infrastructure. After the archers, I snuck out only two triremes to scout before rushing the Great Library which was in peril of being lost at that late stage.

My scouting thus was slow, and I didn't realize I was isolated until I was almost done with Theology. No shallow water connections meant that I had to wait until Astronomy to start conquest, so I geared up to start conquest with Frigates from the start. I skipped going straight to Compass from Theology and rushed to get Education ASAP for the University to boost toward Compass/Astronomy/Navigation and it was on the needed pathway to those techs anyway.

My Great Merchant from Optics got 3000 gold. I spent about 1000 on a lighthouse as a needed population/production boost for Lisbon and saved the rest to buy my capital's University.

Lisbon was a pain. It had already started building a granary before I had enough gold to buy one for it. It built the granary painfully slowly, so my internal food trade route to Venice had to wait a very long time.

Along with the 3000 gold trade mission obtained by my free Great Merchant from Liberty, I had two external trade routes bringing in gold, so by the time I reached Navigation, I had amassed 5000+ gold, enough to buy 3 Frigates and upgrade a trireme. I would only hardbuild one more Frigate, as I had to get my Musician's Guild up ASAP to beat Portugal quickly in the endgame. I bought 1 more Frigate after some conquest and used the rest of my gold to keep Happiness up above zero on my late binge of conquest.

Build order was roughly: Monument, Archers, Shrine to get God-King pantheon (no faith huts and no Sailing yet), granary, trireme, trireme, Great Library, National College, cargo ship, Parthenon, 3 cargo ships + Writers Guild, Oxford University, Frigate, Musician's Guild, circus, Colossus.

Tech Order was roughly: Archery, Mining, Pottery, Calendar, Sailing, Writing... worked Bronze Working in relatively early to find iron and Optics to get the Great Merchant... use Great Library to grab Philosophy, then beelined to Theology. Found I was isolated then backfilled a beeline to Education. Compass, Astronomy, Navigation (via Oxford), Acoustics (via Great Scientist research rush bulbing), bottom of tech tree until the end.

Social Policy Order was Full Tradition, Liberty left side to the free Great Merchant, Exploration starter (for the extra naval movement and sight). Having no culture city-states hurt but the early Parthenon, Writer's Guild, and God-King pantheon helped.

One conquering fleet of 3 to 5 Frigates was not ideal but there weren't too many expansion cities and Frigates/Caravels move FAST.

Completed the supreme ascension of Venetian culture before 1000 AD. The Doges would have been proud, yet...

-------------------------------------------------------------

Try 04 (Final?): sub-T400 victory

... Machiavelli would have scoffed at my victory, saying I could have been more ruthless and efficient. I was going to wait until later in the month, but cued up a map randomly when I had some time, and the first map I rolled was a winner. So, OK, after 3 tries I now knew exactly what needed to happen to assert Venetian cultural dominance earlier. How much earlier, I didn't know. Turned out to be about 100 turns earlier! Great Galleasses rule.

For me, exploring the settings of each gauntlet is the fun of it. A map type to explore, and a map and cope with, different every time. A civilization with special strengths to work with. A difficulty level which provides its own set of challenges. For those of you still exploring this, I will put my key findings to assist fast victory times in this gauntlet in the following spoiler box. My game had a couple challenges to overcome, so I am sure my victory speed can be beat. For those giving this a go, good luck!

Spoiler Keys for fast victory on this gauntlet :

Key Initial Setting: Sea level Medium --> High has too much of a risk of blocked coastal access. Low allows too much AI expansion, possible non-coastal cities, and worse navigation lanes

Key AI Civ to include: Greece --> You should conquer the nearest AI civ ASAP, use it as a puppet, and then trade it to Alexander near game end so it revives with little culture built up.

Key Exploration Finding: Another AI civ shares your island --> This is the only way to keep an AI civ's culture low enough to attain cultural dominance mostly or totally with a 300 Tourism Great Musician.

Key first technology: Archery --> You should execute an archer rush to conquer the nearest AI civ ASAP.

Key first/early Social Policy: Tradition Opener --> I have found Venice really needs this to access all its usable tiles during the game. You will still have enough culture to complete Liberty and get 1 more SP, with Oracle.

Key Social Policy: Liberty Finisher --> You should get the free Great Musician to use with a 300 point concert tour at the end of the game. Get this SP BEFORE acquiring tourism in any way if you need 300 Tourism or less or else acquire at least 4 tourism before getting it. (2 tourism at spawn of Great Musician generates 180 Tourism Concert tour. Don't want that. Zero at spawn generates 300, 4 Tourism at spawn generates 360... Formula for Concert Tour strength on Marathon Speed seems to be (Civ Tourism at spawn time of Great Musician * 30) * 3. If Zero tourism at Spawn, GM gets 300 by default.)

Key Wonders: Great Library, National College, Oracle --> The GL and NC are vital to teching to Compass as soon as possible. Oracle is not absolutely necessary, but will speed up your conquest as it will allow you to get the Exploration opener faster for added naval movement and sight.

Key tech order: Get to Compass --> To earn a victory most effectively, you should execute a Galleas Rush with Venice's Great Galleasses. Essentially, get to Compass ASAP with as much cash in hand as to buy as many Galleasses as possible when reaching the Compass technology.

Key strategy: Greek Liberation --> Conquer first AI civ (not Greece) ASAP. Use it as a puppet. Wipe out all the other AI civs except Greece. BEFORE declaring war on Greece, trade/gift Alexander the early conquered AI capital. Alexander almost always liberates it, reviving that civ in the game. Wipe out Greece as soon as possible, and send your Great Musician on a concert tour in the newly revived AI civ. (Need to get Open Borders with it or just declare war on it to let the GM enter.) Thus your cultural dominance will be assured.

Good luck!

Well done on victory, and very in depth thinking about each of the settings and strategies, I like it.
I was about to ask if you think legendary resources would be a good choice setting, but if I remember right I think resources have to be on normal by HOF rules?

That's correct, you have to use standard resources.

I just submitted a turn 224 victory on this beautiful map. That's pretty close to an ideal starting location for this gauntlet in my book:
20170409092902_1.jpg
There's a lot of room for improvement here and I'm pretty sure sub-200 is doable with 2 cultural CS allies and some map luck. I only had one cultural CS ally, but in this game the limiting factor for me was conquest. In retrospect I should've built a third army to kill Greece, but I realized this too late. Didn't help that all the AIs except my neighbour went Tradition and had garrisons... Hill cities with Oligarchy can really slow you down when you're attacking with archers.

It would've been great to get Sailing/Mining/Pottery from a ruin. Techs take forever to research on Marathon, waiting over 30 turns for Optics feels really slow.

Congrats. And yeah nice start location. From the sounds of it you went full conquer from the get-go with land unit invasion? Did you still go tradition / liberty? Or honour?
If I could download you guy's brains knowledge / experience to mine, that would be great. :king: I only joined the Civilisation series as of a year and a half ago, so though I like to think I'm experienced, I'd imagine my experience is nowhere as deep as someone who's been there from the first games in the series, eg knowing what to be thinking about.
I'd imagine it would be a whole different experience depending which stage in the series you started playing.
How long have you guys been playing the series?

Last edited:
Great game vadalaz! It had not even occurres to me that Archipelago could give you a land conquest path. I have so many memories of trying to get all shallow water connections (and failing) on Small Continents maps, that I assumed Archipelago was even worse.

Marathon would be the best speed to do it on too! Were you worried that archers wouldn't be able to cross the seas? Is Low Sea level on Archipelago pretty connected? Great work!

Played all the Civs (Civ 1 and 2 a lot back in school, Civ 3 and Civ 4 to a reasonable degree. Liked the 1 unit per hex of Civ 5, so was most excited by that evolution. I have been a board wargamer, and the stacks o' doom combat of the old Civs were just completely unsatisfying to me. 1 unit per hex allowed tactics to matter.

I played some "vanilla" Civ 5 right after it came out. Had plenty of exploits players could take advantage of, unbalanced units (at some point horsemen were juggernauts that could take the whole map very quickly), and general unpolished feel. I gave it up for a long while and came back to it after the Brave New World version came out. All the systems fixed, balance excellent. Been playing it as basically my only electronic game of choice to this day. Still finding it fun and learning new things all the time. I know Civ 6 is out (I own it) and have been monitoring the forums a bit, but my experience with Civ 5 is making me wait until the kinks are worked out before playing it. It took months/years for Brave New World to make Civ 5 great, so I have doubts Civ 6 is all it can and will be at this point. In no rush to get to trying it.

Great game vadalaz! It had not even occurres to me that Archipelago could give you a land conquest path. I have so many memories of trying to get all shallow water connections (and failing) on Small Continents maps, that I assumed Archipelago was even worse.

Marathon would be the best speed to do it on too! Were you worried that archers wouldn't be able to cross the seas? Is Low Sea level on Archipelago pretty connected? Great work!
IIRC Archipelago is actually one of the better island maps for getting shallow water connections. On the map I played I had to send both armies in the same direction though, as the only other way was to go through a polar region with its obligatory barb camps.

I played Civ 4 in school and liked it so much that I bought Civ 5 as soon as it was released. I can barely remember my Civ 4 experience, and in Civ 5 I didn't really think about all the strategies too much until I joined this forum in 2014. I was mostly playing OCC games on Emperor before that. :)

I assume Vadalaz used medium sea level?

In my experience after I started looking up guides my enjoyment deteriorated, I am quite fond of perfection so all the tips I listened to pros (deity players) talking about over-complicated decision making, making me miss natural common sense decisions.

I like how these gauntlets aren't all for deity players to show off, yet still offer a challenge for all, and chance to learn strategies. :)

And Zenmaster let me know when you do think Civ 6 is ready to try out, I'm in the same boat, still learning from Civ 5. I guess it could be a year or even more time period.

I'm not quite up to scratch with how these HOF boards work, is it worth submitting sub-sub-optimal games, just to show you gave it a go? Or is it worth just noting to yourself how you did, giving it another go on the same / next gauntlet, talking about how you did, but not necessarily posting it for the scoreboard?
Also I've heard the term VVV a few times, and seen the scoreboard, however I could not find a summary page explaining it, it's purpose and its subcategories.

Last edited:
HooperJ,

these gauntlets are one of the best places to practice and learn strategies because the various difficulty levels play VERY differently. The Gauntlets give such a variety over time, that you learn how various settings affect your play. Strategies that rock on one level may be terrible on another level.

You will find on the forums and HoF that many players get into one kind of groove and roll with it. Some play exclusively Domination victories. Some play exclusively Science victories. Some play always at Marathon or Epic Speeds. Some play exclusively Deity Science for the challenge, but to be honest, Deity is actually easier than lower levels for faster Science victories due to the crazy amounts of cash that can be obtained from the AI civs on Deity. In addition, many will play Deity only on more helpful maps such as Great Plains and Pangaea to try to push the envelope of faster win times. They want to see how fast they can push the envelope, which is cool! That is what actually makes Civ 5 so great. There is something for everyone, and people can enjoy it in many different ways!

Yes, by playing the gauntlets, I am shooting to play "better" all the time, meaning faster and more efficiently; however I also do care about score and doing awesome, weird, and historical stuff while playing. I am just as happy having a lot of high score medals as doing well in the gauntlets. I don't enjoy conquest as much as some players, so I have been doing more peaceful style Science and Diplomatic victories lately, even though I know sometimes I can speed things along a bit with some conquest. I love variety more than anything, so I enjoy playing civs like the Iroquois and Morocco instead of always playing the biggest "gamebreakers" like Poland or Korea. I would go nuts playing Great Plains or Pangaea maps all the time (I have had my fill of them in gauntlets already :).)

The other great thing about Civ 5 is that there are many approaches to playing well. Nobody has all the "right" answers. For maximum Science, some players can go superwide and make it work. Others run a tight 4 city Tradition game and turn in incredible times. There are a few supertall 3 city games I have seen with wonders out the wazzoo that have been really great wins. Some leverage AIs through cash from peace deals and taking over their cities. On Deity, some players use Research Agreements to boost science and do well. Sometimes, and especially with certain civs, maximizing Diplomacy can reap a lot of benefits from city-states to turn in fast victories. You can focus on Religion to boost Science by either buying Great people with Faith, getting happiness to fuel crazy city growth, getting city growth aids, getting culture aids to speed through Rationalism, and/or using faith to purchase Science buildings. There are so many ways to play Religion. How and when to use Great Scientists for academies or bulb research is another factor that no one has all the answers for. I am still exploring going wide vs going tall (as I used to do regularly.)

For ideologies, some great players swear by Freedom, others swear by Order, and others will use either with no sweat given the game circumstances. You can get to an ideology through teching to the Modern Era through Radio usually or teching to Industrialization earlier and building/buying 3 factories. Players have had great games doing both. Some love Liberty, some love Tradition, some do a mix, and there are good choices over commerce/piety/the diplomacy track for other policies.

Thus, any advice on the forums has to be taken with a grain of salt. Some advice works only on certain levels or for very specific maps or strategies. That same advice may not be effective on games with other settings.

Acken's guides are very good, as his advice works in general and doesn't usually give any absolutes. I didn't look at any guides as I was learning (just played gauntlets and read HoF forums), but when I occasionally checked the strategy thread, I often found that his advice jibed with what my experience showed very well. Many old gauntlet threads (especially when Cromagnus was offering advice) were extremely helpful in learning the ins and outs of conquest/science/culture/diplomacy. When I find the time, I will hunt down some of the best ones and link them. Oh, and listen closely to any advice vadalaz has to give :) . He has not been content to play one certain way all the time and has constantly improved, finding new original strategies or implementing variations of strategies with great efficiency.

Just my two cents. Have fun exploring the game!

As for the VVV (Veni Vidi Vici), this welcome thread https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/welcome-to-the-civ5-hall-of-fame.380080/
has very basic info.

All Hall of Fame games you submit count toward the VVV. You get ranked according to how many of the VVV categories you have "completed". Your ranking is determined by the number of T-score points you achieve in your games as per the Formulas tabs at the HoF and VVV sites. Basically, you are rewarded with higher T-scores for playing higher difficulty levels and larger maps, as those games generally take longer and are more challenging. You also earn more T-score points for playing on table settings that others have tried. The more entries in a table, the higher everyone's T-score gets. It is also helpful to see how you rank compared to others' games on that setting.

Some VVV categories are easy to complete. Tempi Trophy (Win at least one game at Quick, Standard, Epic, and Marathon), Machiavelli ( Win at least one game with each different victory type: Science,Diplomacy, Culture, Domination, Time)

Others are hard. League of Nations (Get a victory with each of the 43 civs in the game), Map Quest (Get a victory on each of the 20 different HoF map types)

So, yes, submit every game you win, unless you know for sure you will play the exact same civ, settings, and victory type again to improve on that victory. They will all count toward the VVV!

Top Bottom