1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

G-Major LXXXV

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Denniz, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Denniz

Denniz Where's my breakfast? Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:
    • Expansion: Brave New World
    • Victory Condition: Science (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
    • Difficulty: King
    • Map Size: Standard
    • Map Type: Pangaea
    • Speed: Marathon
    • Leader: Babylon (Nebuchadnezzar II)
    • Opponents: Any
    • Version: SV8
    • Date: 4th August to 16th September 2017
    The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

2. vadalaz

vadalaz Chieftain

Bulb calculations don't seem to work properly on Marathon. The overflow is capped at 5*bpt or the last tech cost on Standard, whichever is greater, so on Marathon when I bulbed an 18k tech with a 33k GS I expected to get the full 15k overflow. However, I only got ~8000 though which was roughly 5*bpt at the time. Why it didn't pick the tech cost as the greater value is beyond me, as well as the bpt overflow cap not scaling up to 15*bpt. This makes the endgame slower than it should be, bulbing cheap techs towards Rocketry becomes a mess.

Another gripe with Marathon scaling is the World's Fair which is still 20 turns long, yet the production cost does increase. I had to put 6700+ hammers into mine.

3. billybgame

billybgame Chieftain

I'm in the 1950s in this crazy long game.......having never even played a King game, thought I'd give it a whirl........awhile back, while doing pretty darned good and feeling I might be able to win this....I suddenly go to -15 unhappiness due to ideology public opinion......and now it's gone to -30!!!! I fear it's game over....having never seen this, I have done extensive reading. Wow....that's sort of a insta kill thing in this game. At least at harder difficulties. I am wondering if I might be able to take my army up and try to demolish the Iroquois, who are the big culture mongers in my game. Not sure I can survive all the negatives from the -30 unhappiness, long enough to do so, though.

When it first started happening, I really focused on clearing artifacts and building museums and have my tourism up to 20....but instead of helping, it doubled suddenly. I was shocked. I though my tourism rising so fast would help a lot.

It's one thing to suddenly learn about this, but after putting this many hours into a Marathon game, it's exponentially frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit again: Zounds....fought off the unhappiness....40 tourism.....got our head above water, researching rocketry...making $, and even got back to happiness......boom!....-21 unhappy....a total modifier of -59 unhappy.....holy &()^)&^ I wanted Freedom so I could buy my spaceship parts....but I may have to switch to Order, to have any chance.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  4. zenmaster

zenmaster Chieftain

Concur 100%! My 34K bulbs lost 5-10K overflow at least. Those World's Fair bonus 20 turns go by in an instant. :undecide: I just played one go near the deadline to sneak it in. Hardly optimal when I got to the bulbing!

5. zenmaster

zenmaster Chieftain

The happiness hits from having the "wrong" unpopular ideology are absolutely brutal. Any game King or above that goes long enough can put you in the hurt if it goes long enough. I will go Order in Deity games most if not all the time just to avoid that unhappiness blast. Not to mention the other ideology civs love to declare war!

I hear you about running into late game issues on MARATHON speed. Nothing more frustrating.

6. billybgame

billybgame Chieftain

I ran out of time, and didn't get this one done in time:(....but having never played a King game, I will finish and submit, anyhow. Well, if I win, at least.