1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

G-Major LXXXVII

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Denniz, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Denniz

Denniz Where's my breakfast? Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:
    • Expansion: Brave New World
    • Victory Condition: Domination (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
    • Difficulty: Deity
    • Map Size: Standard
    • Map Type: Any
    • Speed: Standard
    • Leader: Any
    • Opponents: Any
    • Version: SV8
    • Date: 7th November 2017 to 1st January 2018
    The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

2. vadalaz

vadalaz Chieftain

Not sure if there are any setups that can compete with Huns/Lakes here. Spain/Lakes could be fun if you get a 2+ NW start. Maybe Great Plains is competitive, though the forest area can be super annoying.

I got T81 on my first try with Huns/Lakes which is 12 turns slower than my record, but I thought I played a lot better this time. I made some very questionable choices in the T69 game, so it should be quite beatable with some map and ruin luck.

One thing I did differently this time was capturing a CS early in order to:
    * raise the unit supply limit for the initial battering ram spam
    * sell that CS to the richest AI in a peace deal later

3. vadalaz

vadalaz Chieftain

Got it! Turn 60 DomV. :)

Build/buy order: Warrior -> 2 or 3 scouts -> Worker -> 6 Rams (3 "armies" of two) -> HAs
    Tech: BW -> Wheel -> Luxuries
    Policies: Trad opener -> Honor right side

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  4. zenmaster

zenmaster Chieftain

Awesome! Very well played!

Having 3 armies was the key, I think. I tried with just two BRam armies and it is just too slow to hit the 60's without some kind of amazing map.

Did you hit any good ruins to speed you along? Either culture/tech or upgrades? I feel you need BRs as fast as possible for those first couple conquests... there seems a tipping point in the 30's 40's where the 2 battering ram sneakup becomes tough, with any terrain issues. After those, you have horse archer support, which smooths things, but those initial conquests can be tricky.

5. vadalaz

vadalaz Chieftain

I got a culture ruin pretty early and a late warrior upgrade after I'd already researched Bronze Working, no relevant tech ruins.

Agreed about the third army, it feels optimal to have the first army take 3 capitals and the second and third army take 2 capitals each. The way Lakes is set up, you have two "lanes" of civs, 4 in the north and 4 in the south. I think it makes sense to clear the lane you spawned in with the first army.

Something you can do to get a faster DomV on lower difficulties is to send the first army to kill the farthest AIs and clear the neighbours with your second and third armies so they don't have to travel too much, but I'm not sure that'd work on Deity.

6. aafritz17

aafritz17 Chieftain Supporter

Granted, I'm not yet a Deity player (1 win), but I find 60T mind-boggling. I've made several attempts, don't know if I could finish in a 100 turns (although I haven't played any past 75 or so).

The earth is flat in your pic. 5 billion years?

I thought you typo'd, and meant H left side. But now I'm wondering if it's right side for the second policy down (at work, and can't remember name, but 15% for adjacent melee, I think).

And I'm sure you bullied every C/S in sight, and bought at least the worker and 1 or more BR, right?

7. vadalaz

vadalaz Chieftain

5 billion is a must-have and you still need to get lucky with the terrain. Hill capitals slow down the game since you can't take them with just 2 rams. Tradition capitals also make it harder with the rapid border expansion (can't DoW and ram the capital on the same turn) and Oligarchy.

I hard-built the worker and stole one from Brazil. You don't want to buy a worker here, save up and spend the gold on BRs instead. Tribute all the CSs, declare war on AIs in the early game and sell them your resources in the peace deals. Ideally you want to settle on a Mining luxury, DoW your neighbour while you're researching Mining, make peace and sell your luxury to them in the peace deal. Kill them after the 10 turns of the peace deal have elapsed, then sell that luxury to a different AI or just keep it for the happiness.

I chose Honor right side because of the policy you mentioned (it also gives a small production boost to melee units I believe) and I like the happiness bonus from the next policy as well. I didn't go for the Great General policy because in my game it'd spawn at an inconvenient time, as it would take a while for it to catch up to the rams, and it would also add one more unit over the supply limit.