1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

G-Major LXXXVIII

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Denniz, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Denniz

Denniz Where's my breakfast? Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:
    • Expansion: Brave New World
    • Victory Condition: Diplomacy (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
    • Difficulty: Emperor
    • Map Size: Standard
    • Map Type: Inland Sea
    • Speed: Quick
    • Leader: Ethiopia (Haile Selassie)
    • Opponents: Any
    • Version: SV8
    • Date: 3rd January to 1st March 2018
    The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

2. zenmaster

zenmaster Chieftain

This sould be interesting. Inland Sea maps are good both for conquest and for Science, so going for Globalization might be able to give a conquest Diplomacy game a run for the money at Emperor, especially at quick speed, which makes conquest a bit harder.

3. aafritz17

aafritz17 Chieftain Supporter

Don't remember exactly how it works. Would it be advantageous (or not) to include Venice and/or Austria as opponents?

4. aafritz17

Maybe it doesn't matter. El Dorado on T4. Yeah, that El Dorado.

5. aafritz17

Promise, cross my heart, it's a legal map. T22, Fountain...

6. vadalaz

vadalaz Chieftain

It wouldn't, when a CS is gone you lose two potential votes, but the world leader requirement only goes down by one.

7. aafritz17

Thanks. I knew it was something squirrelly like that, just wasn't sure what.

8. zenmaster

zenmaster Chieftain

Unreal. It is not just that you saw both in the same game-- T4 and T22??? The odds make the mind boggle. Too bad you weren't Spain ;-)
    Hope it turned out well in the end!

9. Zlither

Zlither Chieftain

FWIW I saw FoY 3 times for re-rolling for this - more than all of the last year put together. And I didn't re-roll that much.

Unfortunately they were in the artic, barren dessert and already w/i a city-state border.

10. aafritz17

Nah, it didn't go far. The NWs were both next to city states, so of no use (thought about conquering, but Diplo requirement), and there were few good expo sites. Think I abandoned it 50-60 turns in.

And, yeah, if Spain...

11. zenmaster

zenmaster Chieftain

That is always the lament of the natural wonders, when you see them inside the city state territory upon discovery. I have often sped settlers to race to try to landgrab good wonders before the city state ensnares them if they are 2-3 spaces away from their city. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't :).

I haven't started this one up yet, but I think i am going to try a run to Globalization. I hate conquest on Quick, and I think a good Ethiopia UB-assisted religious start (Desert Folklore ideally) can snowball into some good stuff for science on the Inland Sea.

12. vadalaz

vadalaz Chieftain

Yeah, I went for a Globalization game early in the month too. Bit of an odd game, the map had one cultural CS which I captured (couldn't resist, I think it was coastal with a unique lux, 2 wheat and 2 or 3 Horses). Luckily you don't need much culture for Diplo, so the Gold/Silver pantheon and some wonder spam was enough to get all the necessary policies in time. I'll probably try a warlike game in February.

13. aafritz17

Something about this setup. I just found Fountain again, in a game I started this morning. I wonder if we have any common opponents (if you know who yours were). Carthage, Morocco, Inca, Portugal, Indonesia, Russia, Arabia. Otherwise, just that it's standard-sized Inland Sea? (I've played a bunch of Inland Sea, but usually large or huge, not standard.)

14. Zlither

Zlither Chieftain

And I've seen it again while not trying this gauntlet. My opponent list had null overlap with yours. Maybe bad RNG? Or maybe just randomness?

Again, it was in the tundra, thought not too surprising on an ice-age map.

15. zenmaster

zenmaster Chieftain

This thread gives a quick relative overview of its rarity:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/natural-wonders-and-fountain-of-youth.494887/

This Reddit thread gives a lot more details:

https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/49ovow/what_are_the_odds_of_finding_fountain_of_youth/

FoY is the rarest wonder by far!

16. aafritz17

Ah, so it's gonna be those specifics ("must be next to hills" or "avoids ocean") that's affecting the proliferation. I am repeating the same terrain settings (3 billion, arid, etc.) on the same map type. Probably several NWs are simply always prohibited, and then those remaining have a both a higher chance for selection, and a higher frequency of qualifying locations. He didn't state any tile specifications for either Fountain or El Dorado, but there's probably other coding that gets involved and affects the selection.

17. Denniz

Denniz Where's my breakfast? Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Gauntlet Results:
    G-Major LXXXVIII - Diplomacy, Emperor, Standard, Inland Sea, Quick, Ethiopia (Haile Selassie)

1st vadalaz - 1460 AD T-136
    2nd dinanipedro - 1700 AD T-165
    3rd zlither - 1825 AD T-190