1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

G-Major VC

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by aafritz17, May 2, 2019.

1. aafritz17

aafritz17 Chieftain Hall of Fame Staff Supporter

While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:

• Expansion: Brave New World
    • Victory Condition: Culture (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
    • Difficulty: King
    • Map Size: Huge
    • Map Type: Archipelago
    • Speed: Standard
    • Leader: Maya (Pacal)
    • Opponents: Any
    • Version: SV8
    • Date: 1st to 31st May 2019
    The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

2. dinanipedro

dinanipedro highlander

feels like playing epic speed
    always get that one runaway civ that prolongs the game quite a bit - international games kicked in on the third vote and sped things up
    religion the hermitage bonus
    hotels
    aesthetics asap
    will do another attempt to compare 5-6 cities
    education t115
    Spoiler :
    20190504072621_1.jpg

printing press t166
    culture victory t279

3. zenmaster

zenmaster Chieftain Supporter

Nice peaceful hotel tourism game! I think wider is always better with tourism.
    I would want to build one kick-butt military force (navy makes sense in archipelago when you need to go the upper science path to hotels) to get tributes, get early cash from AIs and upgrade that force (navy to frigates) to take out the high culture civs if trying to get much faster winning through hotels and great works..

To be honest, low sea level can get you a nice religious sacred sites setup that will spread culture much faster. The Mayan pyramids totally rock religion. Also, to find all the civs faster, I think it helps a lot to go with a Great Admiral as the 2nd or 3rd Mayan great person on this one.

4. aafritz17

Wow, cannot believe I had TOTALLY forgotten this. Thanks for this reminder!

5. zenmaster

zenmaster Chieftain Supporter

A bit more Mayan GP talk:
    I went for Sacred Sites after going down the left side of Liberty to Collective Rule, so my Mayan GP order was

Engineer to rush Oracle
    Admiral to find all the AIs as fast as possible
    Merchant for cash and to gain alliance with a Mercantile CS (no need for Scientist as my Science was already hitting Civil Service)
    I got a Great Prophet to spread religion to a high culture civ
    Cannot remember clearly, but I think I may have sandwiched in a Great Writer for a bit of tourism and culture, waiting for more tourism before doing the final GP Great Musician, since the Great Musician's concert tour tourism yield is based on how much tourism you have when he is spawned. I ended up finishing Liberty for a 2nd great musician.

Bismarck was building a cultural paradise far far away from my cargo ships, prophets, and navy, so I needed those musicians to overcome the lack of tourism modifiers with Germany. Even those musicians only got me 25% of the concert tours effect on the Germans as it was too far to tour in Berlin! I tried offering him an outpost city near me for trade and concert purposes, but he would not keep it.

Interested to see how others went at the Mayan GPs.

6. aafritz17

Gauntlet Results
    G-Major VC - Culture, King, Large, Archipelago, Standard, Maya (Pacal)

1 zenmaster 1030 AD 163 1971
    2 dinanipedro 1818 AD 279 2260