G-Major XCI

Denniz

Where's my breakfast?
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:
  • Expansion: Brave New World
  • Victory Condition: Domination (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Emperor
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Map Type: Inland Sea
  • Speed: Epic
  • Leader: Japan (Oda Nobunaga)
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: SV8
  • Date: 6th July to 9th October 2018
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well...here it is. Hope it gets someone a medal, cuz it shore ain't no good for nothin' else! Dom V, T-freaking-297.

Autosave 257 is dated 7/13. I had taken 4 capitols at that point, and was about to take the 5th. But I was already thinking "this is way too long", and the terrain toward the last 2 caps was all tough for traveling. So I set it aside, and played a few starts of the G-minor game. I had NO intention of finishing this game. If I had returned to Oda, I totally would have given him a fresh start.

But then I encountered the Run Time Error, which prevented me from loading of any save file. Finally figured that out and got it fixed last weekend, but (like I said in the G-minor thread) I wasn't gonna submit a game for either current gauntlet. But @JoeSham educated me about the number of submissions needed to allow medals, so I decided I would finish this game today, 8 weeks later. I can tell ya - with that kinda gap in one's strategizing, one can sure make some stupid moves! All of a sudden my happy is -15, rebels are popping up, and all my building projects are gonna go waaaaay past their scheduled completion dates. I was so hated by then I couldn't even get a 3-for-1 lux trade. Scraped up enough gold to get a little influence with a merc city state, sold two cities (that I probably shouldn't have kept anyway) to the weakest civs for, like, 3 and 5 gpt. Within a half-dozen turns I was able to get my happy to single negative digits, but spent most of the last 40 turns fighting on that front as well as the actual warmongering.

But I will tell you what is fun... 5-promotion crossbows. Some of the terrain at the final two capitols was not great for Range, and it took some tinkering to find where a unit had a 3-tile line-of-sight, but once they are in place - they just stand there outta harm's way and double-tap that city to its proverbial knees!

Anyway, it's submitted. @Denniz, I have all the autosaves, but they've been backed-up, copied, and moved around some. I think it should be a good game, but it won't be a huge surprise if it's not.

Excellent! That might be enough time to take another swing at both of them!

Nice job aafritz! I tried a few times and gave up getting a decent time. Since the gauntlet was extended, I gave it one more chance and submitted a T392, and I was actually pretty happy with that.

The terrain definitely made this challenging, especially because none of the other Civs in my game settled a coastal cap. Maybe if I had hand-picked some opponents with coastal start bias, I would have had an easier time of it.

Looking forward to the next gauntlet.

Gauntlet Results:
G-Major XCI - Domination, Emperor, Standard, Inland Sea, Epic, Japan (Oda Nobunaga)

1st aafritz17 - 1385 AD T-297
2nd nika13 - 1762 AD T-391
(only two submissions)

Last edited:
Could that be right - there were only 2 submissions for this gauntlet? @JoeSham - did you have one? (I mean, I can see what the tables say, but...)

I did not play this one, I did not like the scenario too much and there was too much other stuff to do in the late summer, so I gave this one a pass.

Top Bottom