1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

G-Major XCII

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by aafritz17, Jan 6, 2019.

1. aafritz17

aafritz17 Chieftain Hall of Fame Staff Supporter

While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:
    • Expansion: Brave New World
    • Victory Condition: Domination (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
    • Difficulty: Warlord
    • Map Size: Large
    • Map Type: Large Islands
    • Speed: Standard
    • Leader: Carthage (Dido)
    • Opponents: Any
    • Version: SV8
    • Date: 6th January to 9th February 2019
    The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2019
  2. zenmaster

zenmaster Chieftain

OK, great to have a major!

The only issues are the xth of February is a bit vague and the gauntlet section of the Hall of Fame is not showing this at all.

These settings hearken back to
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/g-minor-lxxxviii.537906/

That one was standard size, tiny islands, and chieftain, so the kamikaze quinquereme action will likely not get it done on its own!

3. aafritz17

aafritz17 Chieftain Hall of Fame Staff Supporter

Yeah, saw that this morning before I left for work, didn't have time to do anything about it. I don't do the actual update, so can't choose the date very well, left it for NZ to edit. He probably hadn't figured out when he'll do it (I Iknow he has some time constraints), but I'll ask him about it.

Also, I think the wrong Minor got stickied, I'll check that as well.

4. zenmaster

zenmaster Chieftain

Going to post this here:

As I normally play in offline mode on Steam, I hadn't dealt with the "new launcher" issue yet. Ugh. My first issue may not even be related to that.

Somehow, my game crashed, and when I got out of the game and tried to reload from the previous autosave, I got Visual C runtime error messages. Went online mode at Steam. Got the new launcher.
    Still get Visual C runtime error messages every time I try to load a game.

I saw this forum posting on Steam:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/8930/discussions/0/3374780959399986368/

Apparently, the new launcher for Civ 5 is screwed up. To make it work, you need to get a legacy beta version of the game on Steam.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Did anyone else get the Visual C runtime errors?

I am still going through the process of verifying files, etc. Hope it works...

UPDATE: The legacy launcher works fine. The runtime errors maybe were only connected to a corrupted autosave file. When I uploaded the previous autosave file, it worked. Anyway, hope the game is working for everyone else.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  5. Lernon

Lernon Chieftain

Submitted a turn 111 domination victory.

Tech order was Sailing, Mining, Optics, then tile improvements.
    Social Policies were Liberty, Honor, Discipline (adjacent friendly), Military Tradition (+50% XP), then Republic much later. It turns out that quinqeremes don't benefit from the production bonus for melee units.

Does anyone know why some AI are willing to give gold in a peace deal and some aren't? Napoleon will always graciously accept peace for all his gold, while Gandhi won't give a dime. I don't think it relates to GPT since my GPT was negative all game.

6. vadalaz

vadalaz Chieftain

Did Gandhi have any expos? If an AI thinks it's losing badly, they'll offer you a city so you can take their gold instead, but when they don't have any expos or you're playing OCC, you get nothing.

7. Lernon

Lernon Chieftain

They both had one expo. I think it could be warmonger hatred. It is a domination game after all.

8. zenmaster

zenmaster Chieftain

Nice game! So with no early archery tech, you were able to bludgeon every capital with quinqueremes? I turned in a T120something win so far that was almost all archers/upgrades. Got to galleasses late game which helped speed up the last couple conquests. Had a tough map with some isolated civs and a couple mountain AI capitals that discouraged an all quinquereme approach. Was going to give it one more shot in hopes of a better map

As for the peace deals, my experience has been the same as vadalaz'. If the AI civ has an expansion city, they will eventually cough up money to secure a peace deal. Some leaders take longer than others to let this happen.

9. Lernon

Lernon Chieftain

Thanks zenmaster! I was just following the advise from the earlier gauntlet you had linked. I did all the conquering with quinqueremes. I think with archers the trade-off is slower movement vs. easier conquering on those single ocean tile capitals. If you are going with quins though, the only way to speed up the those capitals is with self-destructs. Maybe a hybrid approach of archers and quins could work?

10. vadalaz

vadalaz Chieftain

4 maps and 4 times I'm separated from at least 2 AIs by deep waters... This map script is inconsistent on standard size, on large it seems even worse. I don't think I'm going to try this again

The fastest way to win a similar gauntlet a year ago was to actually take AIs' expos in peace deals, annex them and and buy units there. See here https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/g-minor-cxlxiii.625104/