G-Major XCIV

aafritz17

Escaping
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:

• Expansion: Brave New World
  • Victory Condition: Science (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Deity
  • Map Size: Huge
  • Map Type: Terra
  • Speed: Standard
  • Leader: Polynesia (Kamehameha)
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: SV8
  • Date: 1 April to 30 April 2019
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

opa, a deity science gauntlet...
and with a sea map!

looks like liberty and swimming for the new world to steal some native's gold and silver :king:

"Huge" map. Doesn't seem to be a fluke either, I keep spawning <10 tiles away from at least one AI and there's no land to expand to.

Attachments

• 20190409165137_1.jpg
    20190409165137_1.jpg
    345.7 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
gotta love salty starts , same thing in my opening attempt - had just enough space for the two city NC with the AI's really close
got across the atlantic, farther than ordinary - not a bunch of eyecatching expo spots, not many city states. looks like the huge map setting does stretch out a bit of the luxury/strategics more than one would expect.

Submitted a T229 win.

The default plan in my partial playthroughs was to go Liberty, beeline CB and take some cities along with founding 5-6 of my own. It actually worked quite well once, but then I got greedy and made a few mistakes which made me abandon the game. Typically with the conquest plan I'd get rather unlucky and have my targets focus entirely on units, which prolongs the war and makes their capitals less appealing. I also learned not to include Theodora as her UUs can be really frustrating to fight.

In the submitted run I ended up playing peacefully, as I had enough space for 7 cities of my own (although I had to settle them in a pattern somewhat reminiscent of a Sacred Sites game) and once again the nearby AI capitals just didn't seem worth taking at the time. The diplomacy ended up being a boring hugfest, I had 6 or 7 DoFs going throughout the game. Sadly never had enough money for RAs, I had to keep spending it on CS gifts to keep up the happiness. My half of the continent had no strong religions and noone ever actively spread to me, eventhough I opened my borders to the AIs that had the good stuff.

I'm convinced that killing things is the way to go here if you want a fast win, perhaps researching Machinery before Education. Another cool play that I didn't think of is getting Consulates early. As Polynesia you can be the first to meet like half of the city-states on the map and be the only major civ they know for a pretty long time, so having the extra 20 influence by the time you meet them is very nice. One barb camp quest and you're allies. It's important to send a bunch of units to explore early, swimming to the other continent does take quite long on a huge map. Scholasticism might be good too on a map with 24 CSs, assuming you can manage the culture.

Alternatively you could stay tall and go for an RA-heavy playthrough. You'd need some really good dirt and a lot of gold though, and the terrain generated by this map script generally seems to be quite poor.

Likely going to try again with a much more aggressive approach now that I've submitted a game that I played safe.

Attachments

• 20190416100446_1.jpg
    20190416100446_1.jpg
    595.1 KB · Views: 155
Gauntlet Results:
G-Major XCIV - Science, Deity, Huge, Terra, Standard, Polynesia (Kamehameha)
1 vadalaz 1595 AD T229

Congrats to vadalaz!

Have not had much time to play the last month, and Deity Huge is not a quick breeze to play :).
Would like to give this one a try at some point soon.

Top Bottom