G-Major XCIX

aafritz17

Escaping
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

Each map can only be played once, though players are more than welcome to generate new maps and submit multiple games. Also, as everyone is playing their own distinct maps, there is no need for spoiler limitation within the forum.

Any games not finished before the submission cutoff may still be submitted to the Hall of Fame as general entries.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

G-Major XCIX

Settings:
  • Expansion: Brave New World
  • Victory Condition: Domination (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Emperor
  • Map Size: Small
  • Map Type: Tilted Axis
  • Speed: Standard
  • Leader: Any
  • Opponents: Must include Assyria (Ashurbanipal), Aztec (Montezuma), Huns (Attila), Mongolia (Genghis Khan), Zulu (Shaka)
  • Version: SV8
  • Date: 1st to 30th September 2019
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Not sure how many gave this a go, but Byzantium with the dromons and choosing islands in Tilted Axis was the right answer, at least for me :). Traveling by sea so much faster than traveling by land. With smart launching of nonmelee units in all directions and purchasing of them in conquered cities, you can get your city capturers around fast enough to keep pace with the dromons.

Dromons are great! The AI can't even fight back against them besides the city ranged attack and maybe a garrisoned archer. What other civs did you try? I didn't submit a game for this gauntlet, but I think my first choice here would be the Shoshone.

Dromons are great! The AI can't even fight back against them besides the city ranged attack and maybe a garrisoned archer. What other civs did you try? I didn't submit a game for this gauntlet, but I think my first choice here would be the Shoshone.

I just did the Greeks, as I tried them first as mentioned in the Update discussion a while back:

"I went Greece first for the Hoplites/Companions and city-state bonus which helps with happiness. Hoplites were useful as city-takers, but the Companions came too late to be of substantive help. In 1st try, Zulus were furthest and too much of an Impi buzzsaw populating rough terrain to beat in any reasonable time. The 2nd game, which I submitted, the Zulus were also last-- The good news is they sent their main force off to liberate Assur from me, allowing me an easy run at their capital. Bad news is I had to backtrack and retake Assur, but it wasn't too long."

I next tried Byzantium, and they were soooo much better to use than the land units that I did not try any other civs after that. I had thought of the Egyptian war chariots, but there are so many mountains on Tilted Axis, I did not think they could bridge the gap between the Greeks and the Byzantine Dromons enough.

Also, a quick public service announcement: Not sure how many of you run Windows 10, but the latest Win10 update wreaked havoc with Civ5 again. Eventually got it to launch but had an issue with the game shutting down. My advice is to deactivate sleep mode on your computer if you leave your game sitting for any time on it. Hope others have got it to launch.

Top Bottom