1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

G-Major XCVII

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by aafritz17, Jul 4, 2019.

1. aafritz17

aafritz17 Chieftain Hall of Fame Staff Supporter

While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:

• Expansion: Brave New World
    • Victory Condition: Diplomacy (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
    • Difficulty: Emperor
    • Map Size: Huge
    • Map Type: Boreal
    • Speed: Standard
    • Leader: Sweden (Gustavus Adolphus)
    • Opponents: Any
    • Version: SV8
    • Date: 4th to 31st July 2019
    The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

2. zenmaster

zenmaster Chieftain Supporter

Hi, thanks for getting the gauntlets up, but the gauntlet results for the last month or two are not posting in the gauntlet major, minor, or list tabs on the gauntlet page, and the results of last month are absent from everywhere seemingly. Sure it is just a glitch in the system, but thought you should be aware. Thanks!

3. aafritz17

aafritz17 Chieftain Hall of Fame Staff Supporter

Please let me know if anything is missing now. There are a couple of "visible" boxes that have to be ticked after the actual update completes, and I just did those.

And there was a snafu last month that took a few days to sort out, guess I never circled back to put the results in the discussion threads, so just did last month's and this one's.

A couple of the gauntlets have only a game or two. We're not somehow skipping anybody's submissions, are we?

zenmaster likes this.
  4. zenmaster

All the gauntlet tabs look good now. Thanks!

The majors have had between 1 and 2 entrants the past few months. The minors have been doing much better as far as entrants.

Hopefully the Huge Boreal Diplomacy major can draw a few entrants this month. Sweden is a fun nation to play, with its Great People specials.

Cue up a bunch of friendly AI civs for a big Great Person bonus as well with all the friendships!

5. vadalaz

vadalaz Chieftain

Played to turn 135:

20190707153005_1.jpg

Emperor/Boreal is a rough combo. The AIs are good enough to get Horseback Riding fairly early, but not good enough to deal with the hordes of barb horsemen that spawn all over the place.

Scouting can be a bit difficult as well because of the barbs and the map size. Spawning at the edge of the map isn't optimal - even with three vision-upgraded scouts I still have 3 AIs to find, and I've only managed to secure 4 DoFs so far. Some of the AIs just refuse to become friends despite having the bright green "traded recently" modifier. Perhaps the AIs haven't been able to find each other, so getting chain DoFs is more difficult. My neighbours hated me for a very long time for having "too many cities" as well.

Very enjoyable endgame. In total I managed to get 9 DoFs (no luck with Siam or the Netherlands, I think both hated me for allying all the CSs). Final GP count:

- 4 prophets: generated 2 + Hagia + at one point I saw barbs capture Gandhi's prophet in his territory, so I bought open borders and grabbed the prophet. Easiest 90 influence with a CS ever
    - 13 GSs: generated 9 + 1 LToP + 1 Porcelain Tower + 1 Order + 1 faith. Stockholm had +47 GS points in the end without science funding.
    - 2 GEs: faith + Order
    - 4 GAs
    - 5 GWs: generated 4 + Globe
    - 5 GMus: generated 4 + Broadway
    - 3 GGs: generated one from barb hunting, + 1 from the Honor policy (too much culture so I figured I might as well take that and gift the general to a CS) + 1 Brandenburg

It took me a really long time to find the last AI, but that wasn't too detrimental to my finish time. I actually delayed meeting Theodora and researched Radio first, so that I'd advance the world to Industrial era before founding the World Congress. This shortens the vote cycle (25 turns vs 30) and saves 2 turns that you'd normally spend voting for the congress host. Later on I had so many scientists I managed to go from Modern to Info era in 1 turn, shaving off another 2 turns.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    zenmaster likes this.
  6. zenmaster

Great game, vadalaz! Thanks for sharing.

Those Swedish friendships are so powerful to crank out the great people. Boreal is not the easiest map for fast growth either, so kudos for getting a nice empire up so quickly!

I concur with the toughness of the Emperor/Boreal combo. Barbarians can really gum up the works. Had one decent game of this going near the deadline (not the greatest land but good early huts and momentum) but screwed up a battle and was found by the last AI civ before I wanted to be found! I agree a late World Congress is just as good if not better than an early one here. Did not have time to finish it while traveling, so may go back and try these settings again with better starting land. It is definitely fun for exploring and using the Swedish UA.

Well-played!