1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

G-Major XCVIII

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by aafritz17, Aug 3, 2019.

1. aafritz17

aafritz17 Chieftain Hall of Fame Staff Supporter

While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:

• Expansion: Brave New World
    • Victory Condition: Culture (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
    • Difficulty: King
    • Map Size: Standard
    • Map Type: Terra
    • Speed: Standard
    • Leader: Brazil (Pedro II)
    • Opponents: Any
    • Version: SV8
    • Date: 1st to 31st August 2019
    The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

2. zenmaster

zenmaster Chieftain Supporter

Interesting settings. Working on a "destroy all non-weak culture civs" game, trying to time some great Brazilian Golden Ages. Will probably try a Sacred Sites game too if I can get 1 or 2 religious city-states within reach on the map.

3. zenmaster

Found Sacred Sites tourism win to be faster than a non-SacredSites effort-- It just takes too long to get to the Guild techs (Writer, Artist, Musician) for the tourism to kick in. Even destroying all civs but one or two with an early army doesn't help if you are not generating tourism fast enough. Abandoned my conquest/Guild tourism game.

Sacred Sites is aided by the civs being all so close together on a Terra map that the trade route, religion, and open borders bonuses are not that hard to get. Korea was the runaway civ leader by far in my game, but timing golden ages to rock your tourism points with all the tourism bonuses yielded 100+ tourism points per turn. Liberty is a key to time the winning Golden Age whenever you want with its lower middle policy.

4. Zlither

Zlither Chieftain

What kind of times did you see? Didn't think Greek Liberation would work at King, but w/ Tradition... seeing times way over 300. Seems to help to kill other strong culture civs, both to not have to out-tourism/culture, but to steal their art/trinkets.

5. vadalaz

vadalaz Chieftain

Greek Liberation would be really tedious and slower than SS here, I think. The terrain on the maps I've rolled seemed awful for fast conquest.

Sacred Sites boosted by the Liberty Golden Age is very strong. I had the best result with a Gems start, and the capital had good production (2x Stone and Marble with Stoneworks) for a quick Oracle.

6. zenmaster

About the usual for a Sacred Sites standard speed game at upperish levels. Something in T120-T130 range. It wasn't the greatest SS game but it was good enough not to try again. If vadalaz got a good map/setup like it sounds, he probably got it in faster with the Brazil boost. I may try again after seeing the turn time to beat :).

The close proximity of your opponents on Terra maps helps Sacred Sites a lot. Spreads your religion to them (getting tourism bonus AND cash from Initiation Rites!) and helps get trade route bonus too. Brazil's bonus is icing on the cake.