G-Major XLIII

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Peets, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Peets

Peets Emperor Hall of Fame Staff

While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:
    • Expansion: Brave New World
    • Victory Condition: Diplomacy (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
    • Difficulty: King
    • Map Size: Standard
    • Map Type: Archipelago
    • Speed: Standard
    • Leader: Any
    • Opponents: Any
    • Version: SV8
    • Date: 1st December 2013 to 2nd January 2014
    The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

2. Denniz

Denniz Where's my breakfast? Retired Moderator

End date changed to the 2nd of January due to holiday.

3. Moriarte

Moriarte Immortal

First thought: Polynesia.
    Second thought: Babylon!

4. Cromagnus

Cromagnus Deity

Hah! I had the exact same progression. Third thought: Maya.

5. dinanipedro

dinanipedro highlander

def polynesia, but venice does come to mind ;)

6. Dracandross

Dracandross Warlord

Conq pre info era is definitely the way

But if you get good big landmass its doable with others too.

-D

7. The Keeper

The Keeper Warlord

I used Greece - seemed to fit their UA. Easily had all city-stated in my pocket fairly early in the game. Took a long time to get the UN to vote for leader.

8. Fiscal BR

Fiscal BR Chieftain

Me too. The UN took forever to vote for a leader.

9. Cromagnus

Cromagnus Deity

This is exactly why you don't need Greece. It's easy to get all the CS in your pocket on this difficulty level. This is why Moriarte mentioned Babylon. Getting to the UN is the slow part... so tech is what matters.

This is what bothers me with how Cultural Victory and Diplomatic Victory work right now. They're basically a rush to the Atomic/Information Era... just like Science. I feel like Cultural Victory should be about focusing on culture/tourism, not tech. And diplomatic victory should be focusing on CS quests/money, not tech... or something. With the exception of Domination... all victories are science victories... Not that you should be able to ignore science, but, the fastest path to victory shouldn't be the same for the first 160+ turns for all three victory types. :p

10. casualplayer

casualplayer Warlord

This is why I think a World Leader vote should be prompted if you are #1 in all or most of the demographic categories.

11. Memoryjar

Memoryjar Emperor

Egypt. I had a good result with it but miss reading HoF rules. No autosaves every turn. :cry:

12. Cromagnus

Cromagnus Deity

I ended up doing something similar. I played this (and the GOTM Brazil map) all the way through in one session without saving once. I got excited and snapshotted my victory screen and quit without saving both times. To make matters worse, I restored over my autosaves directory to finish playing out an old Sejong map I'd been meaning to finish. As a result, I couldn't submit either. :p

Ah well, I've learned my lesson. From now on, I copy my autosaves directory after every HOF and GOTM game and name it after the game!

13. Peets

Peets Emperor Hall of Fame Staff

submit it.
    Autosaves are needed in case of reject or crash so if you games doesn't has either of the two then you are save.

14. Memoryjar

Memoryjar Emperor

:goodjob:, I'll to micro-manage my save-games. Civ V is a lot of micro-management, more than Starcraft, I realize.

Thx Peets, I'll send my game.

15. Arshile22

Arshile22 Chieftain

Did temperate, wet, low seas w/ Montezuma, hoping to hide out in the jungle early to capture workers and gain culture- then grow civilized once I got printmaking. I swear the game dropped me in the middle of the largest desert on the whole map. I did't realize how lousy the Jaguars were. I couldn't beat AI warriors in the jungle one on one as the terrain defense adjustment cancelled out the Jaguar ability. The only advantage they have in the jungle is speed because the sacrifice bonus is useless if you can't kill anybody. You definitely have to team them up which slows exploration. The game does play more like a tech race at the end. Eventually elected myself world leader in 2013:king:- which was the second world leader vote.

16. Dracandross

Dracandross Warlord

T 289 and I think theres plenty to improve but Not sure if I push for this more. Maybe popping scientits better coulda caused votes to trigger earlier, not sure but at least some other stuff

Peacefully with Nebu except one war to get forbidden (which wasnt needed of course due globalization). Had real big island for myself but didnt get any opps on that.

-D

17. zenmaster

zenmaster King Supporter

Ran Polynesia a few times to learn them, as I'd never won with them before. Had a couple screwups, one almost full game where I failed to understand the World Leader voting correctly, and finally a win for submission.

Juggling science, conquest, and city-state courting led to several difficulties through all the games. Went for conquering all the AI civs but one to enable world leader vote upon getting to Atomic era. World options were hot, arid, 3 billion years, and high sea level, hoping to use Polynesia's mobility to best advantage and hinder the land use of the AI civs.

Obstacles:

1) Ran into happiness issues before I could get the cash engine going to bribe city-states. In going for massive science, had to spend early cash on granaries or workers. Also, the city-states seemed to all have like the same two or three luxury resources, so it was tough to get luxuries. With high sea level, starting landmass is often small and lacking in luxuries.

2) Decided I needed to get the Great Library to really amp the science. I figured I'd need to tech to Galleass/Frigate quickly without hurting normal scientific development to get the conquests moving, so I wanted that jumpstart. Getting Great Library not as easy on King as it could be :p. Lack of forests and tough starts on small landmasses hurt.

3) Running Frigates is hard if you've got no iron and the City-States have barely any!

4) I usually have diplomatic victory turned off as it never feels like a real victory, so I was not up on all the nuances. The one game I played almost all the way through, I conquered every AI civ but one and got to Atomic Theory, getting a world leader vote somewhere around turn 260. I had the Forbidden Palace and all the city-states as Allies. There were no Venice/Austria type civs in my game to swallow up City-states, so I thought I'd have World Leader locked up. Doh! I was one vote short still! I learned the hard way that you need to have World Religion or Ideology to get the win on that first World Leader vote in this circumstance. I had done the World Fair and Int. Games I think instead. Not smart. After screwing that up, I lost the will to wait the 20 or 30 turns until the next World Leader vote, so I retired and vowed to get it right.

---

Finally got an excellent Science/Petra type start after that previous aborted effort and ran with it, having learned diplomacy lessons the hard way. Had 8 iron, I think, on my starting landmass and the City-States had ridiculous amounts of it. I still screwed up some-- Lost a caravel stupidly in an early conquest and was very non-optimal in worker usage and religion I think. Others probably would have been faster than me with this start, in that I decided to build Oxford University ASAP and take Navigation with the free tech, but then I somehow held off a dozen or more turns on cranking out frigates in order to build capital infrastructure (to get enough hammers to build improved frigates in 3 turns) and the Forbidden Palace-- Did NOT want happiness issues while conquering and early vote trouble before I could conquer the civ who might build it instead of me. Felt like it took a lot longer to get conquering going than it should have.
    Beat my previous game's time by a bit. Happy enough that I won World Leader on the first vote :).

Had fun with this one. Very nice gauntlet.

18. Genghis.Khan

Genghis.Khan Person

T276 with plenty to improve; submission with Babylon. During the whole course of the game, only built four units, for exploration purposes (3 Trirremes and 1 Scout). National College rush with one city, settling another afterwards. Built every scientific wonders with the exception of The Great Library. Befriended and allied cultural CS in the Renaissance to get Rationalism policies ASAP and then in order to get New Deal (Freedom Tenet). Completed Tradition and opened Exploration to get Coastal Infraestructure to enhance my second city's production (probably one of my worst decisions in the course of the game, should've gone for Patronage and got Scholasticism instead - that alone could have improved my finish date by a few turns).

Excellent starting location, coastal with Salt (2) and Wheat (2). Could have re-rolled for mountain start, if I had enough patience

19. sanabas

sanabas Psycho Bunny Hall of Fame Staff

Attempt #1: Completely peaceful OCC with Babylon, pretty slow. Got printing press early, so had 3 votes before leader vote.

Attempt #2: Conquered the world with Spain, 2nd city was short on food but had Solomon's Mines, 3rd & 4th cities were planted on luxes without any NWs. Better than attempt #1, but I held off too long on getting Printing Press. 2nd vote interval was 25 turns, not the 20 I was expecting, because I was a bit slow with the conquering. Age actually changed when I killed off a civ, leaving only 3. So apparently 'half the civs have reached this age' actually means 1 out of 3. That pushed the leader vote back 5 turns from where I was aiming, and I hit Penicillin with 12 turns to spare. So could have been a lot faster.

Now to finish boring time game, 4 quick games for the 4 civs I haven't played yet, and submit the lot to finish off VVV requirements.

20. Denniz

Denniz Where's my breakfast? Retired Moderator

Results:

G-Major XLIII - Diplomacy, King, Standard, Archipelago, Standard, Any Leader
    1st sanabas - 1600 AD T-230
    2nd zenmaster - 1635 AD T-237
    3rd vitorbaixinho - 1816 AD T-278

Congratulations!