G-Minor 134

It's easier to setup a 2pop Barracks into a Chariot without AGG and save forests for units. Spiritual can save you 2 to 3 turns with civics and religion. You should capture a religion and Izzy should be in your game. I go straight to Monarchy after getting the worker/military techs, which comes fairly quick assuming you roll the obvious gold start. I don't tech Writing.

Consider that losing a turn is more than just finishing 1 turn sooner. You lose production and research for 1turn. You are in slavery 1 turn sooner and thus can whip sooner while continuing the production into the item that you plan to whip. I usually setup/time my first whip to coincide nicely with the switch to slavery, such as the barracks or a worker. It means you are attacking sooner which gives you an advantage.

Yeesh. I give up on trying to get BC. I came so close, yet so far on this attempt, and I don't feel like trying again.

I killed Izzy in 3320 BC with warriors, Madrid autorazed.
I killed Roose in 2800 BC (still warriors), kept the city.
I killed Gandhi in 975 BC (took Delhi with warriors, had archers in Bombay and had to raze it with Gallics).
I killed Lizzy in 725 BC with Gallics, kept London.

Unfortunately the last two civs spawned far to the west, while I was near eastern end of the map.

I found Germany and slowly killed it by 125 BC, using HAs and remaining GWs.

I had pillaged iron from Pericles at that point, and if I had any sort of luck on rolls he'd go down before 1 AD. Alas, the bastard luckily killed my pillagers, then kept winning on bad odds defending cities, rebuilt his iron, built a ton of spears and kept killing my HAs like mad. Took to 780 AD... :(

The problem with warrior rushes in this type of game - the AW aspect -is that they don't get you very far. You might take a civ out or two, but then you've put all those hammers into units that are worthless and only upgrade to axe. AND you usually delay your worker unless you can steal them. Chariots to HAs will be more effective and, ofc, faster. Chariots will quickly take out 3 AIs and you can send a couple off to scout, steal workers and choke while getting HAs online.

GWs are just not the way to go there, as much as I like them.

I don't know, it seems to me chariots come online too slowly - 11 turns for AH, 8 for wheel, 4-8 to hook up horses, assuming we get horses in BFC. Makes for over 30 turns before you can strike, plenty of time for AIs to get archery and put an end to chariots.

Not on this level....and make sure you pick AIs that don't start with hunting.

Nevermind, I was wrong. I just did a quick try, was able to take out two AIs by 1900 BC with chariots - third has archers by now. But I also have HAs by now... will be fun. Gotta run out though, not sure if I get to finish this one before the deadline. :lol:

I finished the game off. 300 BC. You were completely right, actually I wouldn't be surprised if sub-1000 BC was reasonably possible. Horses in BFC + central starting position + high sea level + cold climate for minimal landmass can be pretty damn fast.

ha...very good...quite a long way from 1814 AD ;)

Was about to crush everyone and bismarck won a diplo.... i know 1600+ will be a bottom place but it was the first time with AW on.

OMG, so 'to 26th' doesn't mean 'to 26th included'? I've just submitted my final attempt, a 475BC one. :lol:

Haha, well done. And yes, i thought that aswell. My 175 ad i posted yesterday was an experiment in perparation for a more serious try today. Oh well the new gminor promise lot of fun, congrats to both of you for BC finish dates.

This gauntlet was scheduled to end on the 26th according to post #1, but the update occurred on the 25th. It's ok for an update to occur after the scheduled end date of a gauntlet, but it should not occur a day or more too early, prematurely ending the gauntlet. The gauntlet is described as ending on the 25th on the HOF Web site, but I believe the HOF staff should honor the latter of the two when they fail to make the dates consistent. Not all players will check both sources, nor will every player understand that the 25th is one of the two normal HOF update dates.

Sun Tzu Wu

Congrats to you winnerly folk. I gave this gauntlet three tries, but with my Noble-level skills I rushed one or two AIs and took out another 'conventionally' before getting dogpiled by the remainder. :cry: I'll give it another go soon after the scars fade.

Top Bottom