1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] G-Minor 222 - Shaka, Any condition, always war - deadline 9th May 2017

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by NobleZarkon, Apr 11, 2017.

1. NobleZarkon

NobleZarkon Civ IV HoF Prince EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter

While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

Settings:
    • Victory Condition: Any
    • Difficulty: Monarch
    • Starting Era: Any
    • Map Size: Small
    • Speed: Normal
    • Map Type: Inland Sea
    • Required: Always War, No Tribal Villages, No Random Events
    • Must Not Be Checked: No Barbarians
    • Civ: Zulu (Shaka)
    • Opponents: Must include Egypt (Ramesses II), England (Elizabeth), Germany (Frederick), India (Gandhi)
    • Version: 3.19.003 or 3.19.004b
    • Date: 10th April to 9th May 2017
    Must not play as Inca.
    The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

2. nocho

nocho Chieftain

I tried this one out, just submitted a 1280AD conquest with an ancient start.

Earliest finishing date indeed refers to date, or number of turns? I ask as the starting area can be any.

3. NobleZarkon

It's date - I forgot to change the starting era to Ancient!

4. lymond

lymond Rise Up! Hall of Fame Staff

Definitely a fun AW game with Shaka. Surprised there are not more submissions. He's a great leader for AW at this level. Key is fast copper and 4 Impi ambassadors to each nation, then choose your poison...cats or HAs. I went with the snail army. Just barely avoided STRIKE at the end.

I'm sure my date can be beat. HAs would have been better.

NobleZarkon likes this.
  5. Dhoomstriker

Dhoomstriker Girlie Builder

Good, clean fun with this game.

I had one turn of Strike, with City Capture Gold and a Golden Age bringing me back out of the hole, so I did not lose any Units due to Striking.

Gandhi started nearby, so I was able to choke him well, but the others all hooked up their Strategic Resources. Elizabeth and Frederick made it to Longbowmen.

I went for Domination, as the AIs had populated almost all of the available land on the map. Only Frederick survived, with about 4 Cities to his name and his days being numbered.

I built The Pyramids with the hope of running Police State for a long time, but I ended up needing first Representation and then Hereditary Rule for quite some time, due to a lack of Happiness. Not being able to obtain Happiness Resources in trade really changes the game's dynamic.

Ramesses was fun to defeat--"Let me defend my City with 3 War Chariots when I see a stack of 5 Impis nearby." Of course, then he'd follow up with some Axemen to retake a City, so it was a bit of trading back and forth for his land, but there was eventually no stopping the Shaka Scourge.

Horse Archers were out of the question for me as my lone Horse Resource was far off in a corner, far away from my Cities, but Catapults with a few Axemen and later Macemen for support did the trick of keeping the Impi army marching.

"Four Impi Ambassadors per AI Nation" sounds like a pretty solid strategy, assuming that you don't get AIs settling on top of Iron or Copper Resources. For reference, Ramesses had settled one City on top of Copper in my game. I needed all of the few Impis that I was able to field early on just to deal with Gandhi's pesky, Hills-hugging Archers.

Interesting final statistics:
    74 Impis built, 38 lost
    57 Catapults built, 33 lost

45 Archers killed
    31 Axemen killed
    24 Swordsmen killed
    22 Catapults killed
    19 Longbowmen killed
    16 War Chariots killed (haha)
    12 Horse Archers killed
    11 Chariots killed
    10 Spearmen killed

Thanks for the fun setup! :)

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    NobleZarkon likes this.
  6. lymond

:lol: My Impi Ambassadors failed Diplomacy 101, but were otherwise effective.

Yeah, settling on metals is always a drag, and AIs tend to do that a lot. I actually teched IW fairly early as well just to be able to see it - not like I needed much in the way of tech anyway.

Luckily no one settled on metal in my game...I never let Ghandi get a second city (his settlers became my workers)

I switched some civic on one turn and to some religion on next to avoid strike which did not factor until the last couple of turns as my bank finally depleted. May not have been needed but I did not want to lose the wrong units approaching the final two cities with my now merging E/W stacks. If not mistaken, you don't lose any first turn of strike, but I think the number of units you lose is relative to how much money one is losing, so I was worried about a vanishing army.

7. elitetroops

elitetroops Chieftain

It's not relative to how much money you are losing. Everything you ever wanted (and didn't want to know) about strike:
    Kaitzilla's awesome post in G-Major 144

I tried this gauntlet as my first game of CIV in 7 months. I'm a bit rusty and couldn't bother with too many rerolls, so no spectacular result. My start had no metals and only 3rd ring horse. HAs did the trick nicely. I didn't ever get anywhere close to strike, slider on 100% pretty much the whole game.

8. lymond

yeah, my first thought was that your result was quite sucky :mischief:

9. elitetroops

elitetroops Chieftain

Who said it takes a spectacular result to beat you? :nya: :lol: :groucho:
    Spoiler :
    :love:

10. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Always Peace. Conquest.

:mischief:

11. NobleZarkon

Congratulations to elitetroops for winning this with a date of 125 BC.

Code:
    #      Player                Date
    1      elitetroops           125 BC
    2      lymond                250 AD
    3      Dhoomstriker          1050 AD
    4      nocho                 1280 AD