1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

G-Minor 232 - Zulu, Warlord, Conquest - Deadline July 9th

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Noble Zarkon, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

Settings:
    • Victory Condition: Conquest (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
    • Difficulty: Warlord
    • Starting Era: Ancient
    • Map Size: Standard
    • Speed: Epic
    • Map Type: Pangaea
    • Civ: Zulu (Shaka)
    • Opponents: Must include America (Franklin Roosevelt), China (Qin Shi Huang), Egypt (Ramesses II), England (Elizabeth), Germany (Frederick), India (Asoka)
    • Version: 3.19.005
    • Date: 10th June to 9th July 2018
    Must not play as Inca.
    The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

2. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Civ IV Emperor EQM Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

3. SittinDown

SittinDown Chieftain

@Swordnboard impressive! How does one take out 6 AI's in 31 turns?

4. Tonny

Tonny Chieftain

I also would like to know.
    Excellent play @Swordnboard! :thumbsup:

5. Swordnboard

Swordnboard Chieftain

Important Settings:
    High Seas, Toroidal (Hoping for Micro-Pangaea but didn't really get one), No City Razing, Arid Climate (Fewest AI capitols on hills as per my testing)

Starting location doesn't matter much since you want to move towards the AI anyways, so I had mapfinder find me some double-hut starts. I immediately discarded any start that didn't get me a unit (scout, worker, settler). Settlers are of course the best, and for a game like this I needed to get one eventually, but not necessarily on turn 0. Also good to look for low number of land tiles, but this is less important than the huts.

The main innovation/realization is that on Warlord/Epic, AI who work a floodplain or other 3:food: tile don't produce a garrison warrior until T13, leaving a large window of opportunity to take an undefended capitol. With no city razing, I can keep the capital even though it usually hasn't grown from pop 1.

Game Recap:
    Initial huts pop gold and worker, so I continue playing. As explained, I go nomad-mode with the first settler. I also get a second settler through a hut (T2) and settle both cities by T3, they produce 4:hammers: (work plainsforesthill) and 5:hammers: (work plainsforesthill and settled on plainsmarble) at pop 1 and begin producing warriors. That means 2 free AI capitals in the first 13 turns :rockon:in addition to my own two cities, to crank out more warriors. I then plan to send 2 warriors to each remaining AI since that gives a ~50-60% chance of conquering a non-hill capital. Earlier warriors go to further away AI since I want to conquer them all at the same time. And I am able to get 3 warriors on a couple AI just due to their nearby position (>90% chance of victory). Then all it takes is a little luck (I played maybe 5 games that could have finished before T35 if not for bad combat rolls before winning this one).

Other relevant tidbits:
    • Pay careful attention to where AI units come from so you can find them later
    • After scouting is over, use any workers to road to the furthest away AI. Take care for terrain and which roads actually speed up movement.
    • Promotions are useful sometimes, know which one to choose. Either woody2 (need 1 more unit on a far-away AI through the forest), or Shock & City Raider (makes 1 warrior count more like 2) are my preferences. Often these opportunities don't arise, but sometimes you get a late experience hut or your first warrior attacks at low odds and gets lucky.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  6. SittinDown

SittinDown Chieftain

To compare:

I played the first map I got, and went with an axe rush that turned into an Axe-Catapult attack, and later Elepults. I won conquest on turn 166, which was a few short of @Noble Zarkon at his T 160 win. Last AI had longbows by then, though they fell easily, since I had highly promoted units by then, including a super-medic.