G-Minor 25

Methos

HoF Quattromaster
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

[size=+1](*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!
[/size]​

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Conquest (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Noble
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Map Type: Continents
  • Speed: Normal
  • OCC: Yes
  • Civ: Any
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: 1.74.001
  • Date: 15th August to 9th September 2007
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Note: This is an OCC (One City Challenge) gauntlet, therefore you are required to have that option checked. Also please note that the OCC requirement does not show at the HOF site. We are aware of this.

This blows my mind. A conquest victory using only one city, on a continents map??? Even at only noble difficulty level, that will be a challenge. The Quechas would be an obvious choice for the starting continent, and taking the first continent should be a cakewalk at noble. (EXCEPT, that at noble, the AI does not start out with a bunch of archers and will start out relying on warriors, which give Quechas a harder time . . .) But we will need to make sure that our city is on the coast, so we can build vessels to get to the other continent. And the logistics of managing an oversees conquest (again, from only one city) seems challenging. We will need to keep our research cranking at least until we get to Astronomy, to build the necessary ships.

Okay, this sounds fun . . .

It occurs to me, any reason why we are not allowed to use the Warlords version for this? This challenge seems ideally suited to the Vikings . . .

Hmmm, interesting. I have never done a one city challenge. Better get started!

OCC are a lot of fun IMO and typically are rather quick games, no matter what the speed.

This blows my mind. A conquest victory using only one city, on a continents map??? Even at only noble difficulty level, that will be a challenge.

Okay, this sounds fun . . .

I was hoping people would like this! Yes, it will be a little tough, as your forced to be on the coast, but it should still be a lot of fun.

It occurs to me, any reason why we are not allowed to use the Warlords version for this? This challenge seems ideally suited to the Vikings . . .

Originally I created this for those who didn't have BTS yet and couldn't participate in the beta gauntlet. I chose Vanilla only as I knew they have that. Thinking on your statement, I think I'm glad I didn't add Warlords, as than every game would more than likely be with the Vikings. This way, we can see a more variety of choices.

Actually, that makes sense not wanting to have everybody using the same leader. I was thinking of the Vikings be appropriate more on a thematic level -- going around razing cities. But their unique unit and faster ships would have made them too tempting of a choice.

Sometimes, I think you should prohibit use of the Incas for the same reason . . .

Surely there is no advantage to the Incans in this game? What is the benefit of early conquest of your continent in a One City Challenge Continents game? You have to wait until Astronomy to finish everyone else off, so why not take your time dealing with your locals and trade a bit with them in the meantime? It's not like you can benefit from taking their cities.

I'm going to try with Napoleon.

Lucky someone mentioned that coast thing though. I was 100 turns into an inland capital before I realised it was a waste of time....

I'm already onto my 4th attempt as I got beaten up by Shaka in attempts 2 and 3.

It's really hard to avoid WonderLust in this type of game. The wonders are so easy to get in a kick-ass Noble level capital that it's hard to remember that you don't need them all.

I hate to spoil the secret, but can't you just use low seas and the galley can make it across. They should consider not allowing low seas. It will be fun anyway, but all my free time goes to the major, so have fun with it!

Yeah, but with being limited to one city, the "low seas" option would allow the AI to build that many more cities, and take that much longer to conquer. I guess if the low seas guaranteed that you could make it to the other continent with the galleys, it might be worth it, but I am not sure that is the case . . .

indeed...many of my Settler Space gauntlet entries were OCC games...I enjoyed getting a monster city and not having to worry about empire logistics :)

I assume the Organised trait is a bit useless for this game?

It is really hard deciding what to build when you only have one city that can build things.

I think that having enemies capitulate under the vassal system would be the more decisive advantage for Warlords players.

actually, vassals would be quite useless in this gauntlet...as a vassal has to be half your land and population in size in order to be allowed to capitulate.

Since we are an OCC, it is doubtful that either situation would ever occur at a time when it would even be beneficial to do so.

Surely there is no advantage to the Incans in this game? What is the benefit of early conquest of your continent in a One City Challenge Continents game? You have to wait until Astronomy to finish everyone else off, so why not take your time dealing with your locals and trade a bit with them in the meantime? It's not like you can benefit from taking their cities.

Incans for the traits, not the quechas (for once). Aggressive is probably a gimme in this one but financial or expansive could be a good second choice, hence Huayana or Genghis as leader.

This has been...interesting...so far. Have never done OCC so this is new to me. Had to reload the map 7 or 8 times to get anywhere near a coast, but got one underway with Monty before I had to break for Karazhan.

Oddly enough, I seem to be on my own (smallish) continent. I've fully explored the landmass and it's just me and the barbs. I have a galley out looking for a path to see if I can find anyone else, but so far I'm very lonely. I'm also still kinda new to Noble and haven't played vanilla Civ since Warlords came out. I'm afraid without trading partners soon I'm going to be way behind in tech.

I'm afraid without trading partners soon I'm going to be way behind in tech.

One thing I've found with OCC games is you almost always far surpass the AI in research. Just a suggestion, but I'd research deep into the tech tree and trade for the ones you skipped. OCC games I've always been very specific about my research path. I never research what I don't need, or what I don't need right than.

Top Bottom