[BTS] G-Minor 261 - Pericles, Chieftain, Domination - Deadline Sep 27th 2021

Noble Zarkon

Elite Quattromaster - Immortal (BTS)
Super Moderator
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter

While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Domination (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Chieftain
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Small
  • Speed: Epic
  • Map Type: Pangaea
  • Required: No Tribal Villages, No Random Events
  • Civ: Greece (Pericles)
  • Opponents: Must include America (Franklin Roosevelt), France (De Gaulle), India (Asoka), Spain (Isabella)
  • Version: 3.19.005
  • Date: 31st August to 27th September 2021
Must not play as Inca.
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Hmmm, what is the leader of game? WvO (Dutch) or Pericles?

Submitted two of these now. It's a nice change to play a game I can finish in 45 minutes or less.
The first attempt was better than expected, then on the 5th attempt I got everything I was looking for.
I doubt I can do much better than that one, so I'll give it a rest and try to remember to check the rankings in two weeks.

Well, I'll be damned.
Domination is going to take a good bit longer than 45 minutes. I might keep the general strategy and just spare one of the AI. Expanding from 3 or 4 capitals is bound to be faster than Expanding from one.

Submitted a 1375 game. 7 opponents. Too many chariots built. Only 4 were lost. Something like 20 cities. No strike. Faster times possible. Submitted wrong game by mistake too.

1675 BC. Built 14 warriors, 13 settlers, and 5 workers. Last worker could have been skipped as the last captured city only built 1 settler. 30+ turns would have been enough time. Another city could probably have skipped a worker as well. No chariots or phalanxes. 4 cities by turn 16. Strike monster this time. Didn't make it to math. It may be a thought to not build any workers.

Post mortem on my last game: 15 cities with 3 spare settlers at the end. Map can be smaller where 13-14 cities should work. UUs don't mean anything here. Creative with a starting warrior can have 5 cities by turn 16, or even 6 cities. A 7th by turn 45 is even in the cards. After that double. Cathy can have 4 cities by turn 16 with 6 cities by turn 45. Stonehenge can reduce the final border pop from 8 to 5 turns. Speed is so fast that regrowth from slavery is expensive. But it may be optimal to build settlers at pop 2 or 3. One whip at the end everywhere may be all it takes. i might try one more game.

I came up with 3 tests for this victory condition. Pericles for the gauntlet, WvO w/o huts, and Catherine with huts. No more than 2 or 3 warriors need to be built, at least for conquering. It may be possible to upgrade a warrior but building an axe is too slow. WvOs starting warrior is huge, worth anywhere between 2-4 extra settlers. That's why Catherine starts with huts. Which of these two leaders is playing catchup? Probably only 2 workers are needed and 1-2 workboats. This depends on AI capitols. I'll try all 3 leaders this weekend and then submit.

2000 BC with Pericles. 16 cities. Built 10 settlers, 8 warriors, 5 workers and 1 workboat. Start location via screenshot. Settler moved from the coast to settle on the stone. RNG gods smiled. AIs were suddenly extremely well placed. There's still room for improvement but I'm going to try other leaders.

Attachments

• Per_Chi_Sma_Pan_Epi_Anc_4000-BC_Tem_Hig_Sep-14-2021_11-12-15_103_19.jpg
    Per_Chi_Sma_Pan_Epi_Anc_4000-BC_Tem_Hig_Sep-14-2021_11-12-15_103_19.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 29
@iggymnrr I sent you a PM on Monday regarding a couple of your submissions.

^I got an email on that Monday and replied Monday. The start file for one of the games is long gone which created the mess. Things are fine as is with accepted games.

Submitted a 2150 BC game with WvO. Game went as expected. A smaller map would have been 2 turns faster. Starting warrior is better than a settler from huts. There is no need to hook up any resources. Now to try Catherine with huts enabled ...

Last game for this map. 2325 BC with Catherine. I got one settler from huts and little else. But that settler was able to quickly settle a 2-hammer hill and work a 3-hammer tile. That sorta equalized WvO's warrior start. After that the imperial trait took over.

Top Bottom