G-Minor 66

Denniz

Where's my breakfast?
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

[size=+1](*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!
[/size]​

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Conquest (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Noble
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Map Type: Highlands
  • Speed: Quick
  • Must Not Be Checked: No Barbarians
  • Civ: Any
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: 1.74.003, 2.13.003 or 3.17.001
  • Date: 11th to 25th February 2009
Must not play as Inca.

The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

I'l have a pop at this shouldn't be too bad at Noble.

I think Zulu, Mongols or India will probably be best but I am going to try Brennus for this one I think. Spain would be good for warlords expansion I think as well.

I do enjoy the Celts on Highlands maps

All I've got to say is I hope everyone had as long a wait as I did to actually find my future enemie's cities. It was in the 500 BCs before I spotted a culture field. I had an army, sitting twiddling their thumbs, in other words. And, because I had nothing much else to build, I have one hell of an army, and my finances have gone in the tank.

I did well, and got great city sites first try, and built the Oracle to get CoS. But, with the science slider down it's been a ways to get to Machinery to get my Samurai. Figured I'd just scratch off some Elite Quatro stuff, so Japan it is for this one.

I'm sort of in the middle of the map, with no close neighbors. Not the best for this one, but we'll see how it goes from here. Isabella is going down first(I put in all the civs I love to hate:)). I just fear that the setup has me too far behind. Well into the AD's, and not one civ gone.

I don't have a good feeling about this one. It took so long to set up and get to the other civs that it's in the 1700's, and I still have Isabella only defeated.

The second in line the Chinese has been a joke. I lost around 10 high level Samurai/Knights/Elephants even though they were all over 50% to win. I just got abysmal luck, suddenly. I know it's random, but it was a bad spree, to be sure. I'd have them gone already, if not for that.

Anyhow, I'm afraid I'll be facing Grenadiers soon, and any Japanese advantage will be lost. I needed to eliminate a few more before this time.

Might be too tough a road to hoe.

I think going against Protective civs in this guantlet is going to be a hindrance. CG and Drill 1 archers or better on is most likely going to be a hill? No thanks.

Hello -

I agree not to pick protective leaders. I also avoided aggressive and imperialistic ones. I picked mostly industrial, phil and creative leaders. Go forth and build wonders instead of units... Muhahahahaha...

I played the mongols and played it as pure conquest meaning get keshiks, maybe a couple of later techs and then just build and crush civs. If they develop beyond swordsman try a final futile rush and then reload. In my successful game it look me way longer than it should have and I was still easily able to conquer everyone.

The Celts aren't good because most civs will have axemen that just destroy your swordsman. Keshiks are extra good because they ignore terrain costs by default instead of needing the double hills promotion for the Celt unit.

In terms of speed you should be able to get 1-2 Keshiks up by turn 45 or even earlier on a good start. I went with four cities and captured a very small number of other ones to build mostly (but not completely) useless catapults which I thought I would need for the later civs.

For starting position it is all production. Ideally I would have two food (cows, corn or pigs), an early happiness resource somewhere nearby and start on a plains-hill. The plains-hill is really important because you get your first worker faster and you can build a scout quickly while waiting for your city to grow. On Noble it is fairly easy to get tech and it can be very important since horseback riding is so expensive.

I'm currently #1 in the rankings but my time is rather poor (compared to what I could have done if I didn't play so badly) so it is very beatable.

I think this is a great minor!

My two cents,

-- Manic

I played Mongols. Was lot of fun. Victory before 1000 AD
My game was accepted, but I can't find it in the gauntlet what happened?

Settings:
Difficulty: Noble

My game was accepted, but I can't find it in the gauntlet what happened?

It is better to PM one of the staff or email us (hof.civfanatics@gmail.com) rather than discuss submissions in the forums but you might want to check the settings you used.

I attempted this with Cyrus and started off doing great. I went straight for AH and horses popped in my capital's BFC. The problems arose when it would take 14 turns just to reach the borders of my nearest neighbor. Figure I'll give the major a shot instead, or wait for the new minor to come out which should be a lot of fun! :mischief:

My first win in a gauntlet. I'm very happy!

Good job! Congratulations. I was going to try this this afternoon, but I keep forgetting that I am in the MST zone now and that means it's already midnight at GMT now. Oh well, on to 67!

Congrats Ronald!

I went with min number of opponents since I didn't want too many to kill and I only needed to capture 1 or 2 cities from my first victim.

-- Manic

Top Bottom