G-Minor 86

Ozbenno

Fly Fly Away
Hall of Fame Staff
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:
  • Victory Condition: Space Colony (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Warlord
  • Starting Era: Ancient
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Map Type: Any
  • Speed: Quick
  • Civ: Any
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: 3.19.001
  • Date: 10th to 25th December 2009
Must not play as Inca.
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

are there free settlers and workers on warlord from huts?

I've never used the Maya, I've never played global highlands, so I just used those two for a half-asleep, completely non-aggressive run through this one, and promptly set a score that will be tough to beat...

for last place. :lol: 1964 I finished. I don't think I like global highlands very much.

you can probably warrior rush 1 or 2 ai if you start close to them. maybe use the inital settler to get huts to get more settlers, build city next to enemy capital and then warrior rush them. Probably want to have no city razing checked to capture size 1 capital.

you can probably warrior rush 1 or 2 ai if you start close to them. maybe use the inital settler to get huts to get more settlers, build city next to enemy capital and then warrior rush them. Probably want to have no city razing checked to capture size 1 capital.

It's true for Marathon. Quick speed limits early rush (especially taking empty city).
But "no city razing" option is ok.
Standart map size means large empire. Quick speed means limit wars. Interesting combination...

On Marathon speed usually there are early wars for capturing 2-5 capitals, then wars with Maces and Cats for critical mass 30-50 cities. Quick speed offers may be 1 early war and the about 2-3 wars with Maces ant Cats. I don't know about optimal amount of cities for this setup. But we should have at least 25 for #1 competition.

But we should have at least 25 for #1 competition.

I finished a game with about that number of cities, a few of them were late coming online though. My date can be improved alot.

Question: any advantage to adding a 6-8 city AI civ as a Vassal partway through the game? They asked to join my empire.

I finished a game with about that number of cities, a few of them were late coming online though. My date can be improved alot.

Question: any advantage to adding a 6-8 city AI civ as a Vassal partway through the game? They asked to join my empire.

It's good for score, if this vassal has unique resource or you need additional +1 happy face. In other case it's no matter.

Darius on Terra. CS slingshot, GL, Astronomy with Lib., founded Cereal and Mining. 16 cities, no wars. 1845. New World was a long way away, but 5 cities there still made spaceship parts. This could have been much faster. I havn't played a lower level game in a while and need to get used to gifting a ton of techs away. Did almost all the teching in this one myself.

I've had a quick first run at this, with Gandhi/Inland Sea. I self-built :)eek:) 21 cities IIRC and finished in 1620 (t152). I have another game in progress which should finish before then, as I overprioritized ReX in that one, and was a bit sloppy at the end.

The game seems to be divided into three stages:
1. Founding initial cities, clearing basic techs, and getting into bureaucracy.
2. Expanding into a large empire, building Oxford and researching to Assembly Line, Communism and Biology. (or similar Industrial Era techs)
3. Researching to the end of the game, and building some spaceship parts.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looking at the game, we have two problems to solve.
a) We need a large amount of total research.
b) We can't research more than one tech per turn. (With possible exceptions for early trades, lightbulbs and Oracle/Liberalism).

(b) is particularly relevant to Quick speed, since technologies are relatively cheap, and with your high bpt, you might be able to research, e.g. 5 techs in 3 turns, but for this.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For stage 3, techs take 1 turn each, or thereabouts, so the key to improvement is getting there faster, as opposed to focusing on endgame research.

How can one do that? You still need to build or capture many cities, and build a hundred or more workers, so while there is room for efficiency here, there isn't all that much you can do to reduce the hammer cost of these.

So, the focus should instead be on the research requirement to get to stage 3. In the latter parts of stage 2, empire-wide research is not quite high enough to maintain 1 tech per turn; I'd estimate you can save 5-10 turns or more here, although I'm not sure what the best way to change it is. Maybe it's a second dedicated cottage city, although it doesn't sound like the best answer. Maybe having an Industrious opponent build the Pyramids for you would help, too. A third option would be using the Financial trait (possibly this is the best of the three).

I'm trying now the "challenger" variant of this gauntlet. :)
My Capital hasn't any early commerce resource (1 Wine), none places for Cottages, I hadn't early wars and... I missed Oracle (AI built it in 1180BC). Of course it will be poor date finish, but I'm interested how late...

Hmm, it looks like my prediction about >=25 cities isn't right for such low level and quick speed.

This really is a frustrating little game!
It has made me realise just how much the right tech trading with the AI helps me at the higher levels. I even tried a strategy of forever bringing the AI up to close to my research progress point, in the hope that they would allow me a few trades - but even that really didn't help much at all.
Anyway, after a few totally amusing submissions with dates around 2000AD :)blush:) I managed to get a better game. A certain amount of violence in the early years cleared my continent enough for a dozen or so cities, and then I just teched and built.
I said it was better. Sadly not that much better. For a time I thought I would make it before 1900, but it just slipped away and I got there in the early 20th century.
I know. I know. Even 1890 would probably not have got me in the top 10. This one sure doesn't. But at least I'm not last. And that's where I'm leaving this one.
:D

1785 for my last try. Willem on Terra, but didn't actually send any settlers to the NW. Rexed 10 cities. Beelined Alpha, CS, Biology. Took Superconductors from Lib. I did not Build any early Wonders, but did build MoM, ND, Taj, Broadway after Lib. NE was paired with NP for late game Golden ages instead of bulbing. No wars 10 rexed cities, but got 3 late from huts in New World.

I still not ended my game, 5 turns to launch and 6 for fly, I'll finish today.
As result I'm agree with ZPV about game analyse. Of course I have poor start (Great Plains, 4 Cows and Wine, Plains only, but 1 Settler from the Hut), no Oracle and, as final point, no own Aluminium, but at some point (turn 100, Scientific Method) I've started research 1 tech per turn till the end of game (I think).
I rexed to 5 cities, then captured 3 Gandhi cities with Immortals (I'm playing Darius) and rexed again. I had to replace my Capital for Cottage place. I haven't bulbed Education (was too late with GS) but only Biology and got Communism from Liberalism. I had 2d war against Musa but it was mistake, the better way was rexing faster but not fight. So I started war with Maces and Trebs and ened with Infantries and Cannons - too fast tech rate. I've really no time to use last 4 Musas' cities at full strength. So I got only 2 resource from it.
I have 27 cities but 20 is enough for such map speed and difficulty.
I should finish at turn 144 (if I will not make mistake), but with right start (Gold, Oracle and right rexing) finish should be at turn 135-140.

1785 for my last try. Willem on Terra, but didn't actually send any settlers to the NW. Rexed 10 cities.

Terra is ideal for Marathon speed. You have a huge amount of lands without danger of Domination and all AI on the same Continent. So, no problems with wars and trading.
But on Quick it's too short time for getting all Terra bonuses.

Got 2nd place with my test game. made many sloppy mistakes.

Popped 4 settlers and 2 workers in my current game, within the first 20 turns - hoping to better my current 2nd place.

Top Bottom