G-Minor CCV

aafritz17

Escaping
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter

While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.
(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

PLEASE NOTE - OPPONENT MUST BE PACAL!

Settings:
  • Expansion: Brave New World
  • Victory Condition: Culture (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Chieftain
  • Map Size: Duel
  • Map Type: Great Plains
  • Speed: Epic
  • Leader: Byzantium (Theodora)
  • Opponents: Must include Maya (Pacal)
  • Version: SV8
  • Date: 2nd to 31st March 2023
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

I recall a prior G Minor or Major where we had issues getting the right number of C/S/ I started this one.....only got 2 C/S. Even though game said would be 2/4.

Edit....started another ....same results 2 C/S....assume game won't be accepted like this, right? Not sure how to get it to give the proper amount. Can't recall scenario before, but took countless tries.

Last edited:
No answer? Not going to submit this with incorrect C/S unless know it's ok. Not sure how to fix....it say 2 and 4. But not sure will ever come out with 4 C/S.

I recall a prior G Minor or Major where we had issues getting the right number of C/S/ I started this one.....only got 2 C/S. Even though game said would be 2/4.

Edit....started another ....same results 2 C/S....assume game won't be accepted like this, right? Not sure how to get it to give the proper amount. Can't recall scenario before, but took countless tries.
To be honest, I don't even think two city-states are guaranteed. Vagaries of the map-making process sometimes mean you get only 1 city state on a Duel map, as I did on an early try here.

Regardless, I am almost positive the number of city-states generated will not invalidate a HOF entry submission, though I am sure @aafritz17 will confirm.

Yeah, guess we'll just wait for him to chime in. Only tried twice....got 2 both times.

3rd try gave me 3 C/S....best yet. Sure wish AAFritz would comment.

Edit again: Tried a few more...2, 3. So I've gotten 2 a number of times and 3 twice. Just can't ever get 4.

Guess I'll set this aside for now.

Last edited:
I have tried and retried this countless times. Never get 4...vast majority of times it's 2 C/S. Appears crux of the problem is that it only places C/S in lower L part of map...SW area. Never see them on N side of map. Or other corners. That's why it never gets to 4.

Sorry, I have been busy with a bunch of R/L issues, haven't been here for a few days. (The minor emergency I had mentioned somewhere was an ice storm, knocked the electricity out for 4 days, and I was out of town for 3 of them. So not here to run my generator. Resulted in a very flooded basement. Still dealing with the effects. The insurance adjuster was here a couple of hours ago, says it's gonna result at in least some construction-type repairs.)

Yes, Lakes is one of the troublesome maps. I got three C/S on some attempts, four on a couple, and one time there was only one. My best effort so far only had three. So I submitted it to see what the parser thought of it, and it passed. I remember @billybgame having several games that did that, maybe a year ago (maybe on Highlands?) I had asked @Noble Zarkon and some others involved with the database if they knew why, and I don't think we ever figured out a real reason.

All I know to do is to go ahead and submit the games. I'll try to get in here more often. I can see if a game is going to pass without doing the actual update, and if I see any, I'll PM you.

Also, rather than "Reject" games with this problem, I'll check to see if it's okay to just delete the submission. (Does that seem right to you all?)

This is Great Plains, not Lakes. Right?

I have given up quickly each time....once find not 4 C/S. I've tried at least 15 times and never gotten 4. Anywhere from 1 to 3. But never 4. Would it be better to run with 3...I assume...or does it not matter?

This is Great Plains, not Lakes. Right?

I have given up quickly each time....once find not 4 C/S. I've tried at least 15 times and never gotten 4. Anywhere from 1 to 3. But never 4. Would it be better to run with 3...I assume...or does it not matter?
Yes, Great Plains (my bad).

dunno if 1 city was the best idea but I tried a few more times and had trouble getting a lower time

Attachments

• HOFTheodora_0187 AD-0205.Civ5Save
    517.5 KB · Views: 17
dunno if 1 city was the best idea but I tried a few more times and had trouble getting a lower time
You did as well as you could do going the standard Aesthetics Tourism route. Quite good!

If going for the fastest Culture win at this level, especially with Byzantium which has a bonus religious belief (!), you want to go the Sacred Sites route.

I did a general write-up on culture victories a while back.
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/g-minor-cxliii.615007/#post-14755410

Sorry, thought I posted this a while ago, but maybe didnt hit post...

My plan was that on this level is to harass the Maya from either first-meet or when they have both a settler and a worker, which you steal. They never get a second city. So: scout, scout, monument, shrine. Finding a cultural ruin is probably going to be essential for the quickest times (though a pop boost in the capital is also good). Find and surround the maya (preferably they are in a corner) with your units. You'll later need 1-2 archers, but otherwise the capital produces settlers

Then your first 3-5 cities go around them. The rest as can be fitted on the map - there's a tradeoff between settling on luxuries, hills (production) and best spacing. All cities but the first 2-4 are population locked to '1', to prevent extra unhappiness.

Ideally capital is on gold silver (faith/culture pantheon), but tears of the god or culture/pastures, natural wonders are also good. Religion is Mosques and 100g as cities convert. Your 'extra' belief is probably not needed but again: pastures/faith (because of the map type) may be the best.

Build order is shrine:monument:temple or shrine:temple:monument (or rarely: monument:shrine:temple) in all non-capital cities (depending upon whether temples are unlocked yet, and what pantheon belief - you want to balance getting faith and culture). After that settlers or walls (which cost nothing to maintain).

Use the 100g/city to buy more settlers and/or shrines (not temples as their cost is much higher for only a 50% benefit).

As soon as they are surrounded with cities and you are close to sacred sites, peace-out (Marbozir!) and send a pre-made caravan. They have your religion by now, so you get a 50% modifier on tourism. Sometimes they'll even be your friend and you can get open borders - as there is no free spot anywhere on the map for them to place a second city.

Sorry, thought I posted this a while ago, but maybe didnt hit post...

My plan was that on this level is to harass the Maya from either first-meet or when they have both a settler and a worker, which you steal. They never get a second city. So: scout, scout, monument, shrine. Finding a cultural ruin is probably going to be essential for the quickest times (though a pop boost in the capital is also good). Find and surround the maya (preferably they are in a corner) with your units. You'll later need 1-2 archers, but otherwise the capital produces settlers

Then your first 3-5 cities go around them. The rest as can be fitted on the map - there's a tradeoff between settling on luxuries, hills (production) and best spacing. All cities but the first 2-4 are population locked to '1', to prevent extra unhappiness.

Ideally capital is on gold silver (faith/culture pantheon), but tears of the god or culture/pastures, natural wonders are also good. Religion is Mosques and 100g as cities convert. Your 'extra' belief is probably not needed but again: pastures/faith (because of the map type) may be the best.

Build order is shrine:monument:temple or shrine:temple:monument (or rarely: monument:shrine:temple) in all non-capital cities (depending upon whether temples are unlocked yet, and what pantheon belief - you want to balance getting faith and culture). After that settlers or walls (which cost nothing to maintain).

Use the 100g/city to buy more settlers and/or shrines (not temples as their cost is much higher for only a 50% benefit).

As soon as they are surrounded with cities and you are close to sacred sites, peace-out (Marbozir!) and send a pre-made caravan. They have your religion by now, so you get a 50% modifier on tourism. Sometimes they'll even be your friend and you can get open borders - as there is no free spot anywhere on the map for them to place a second city.
Sound game plan! This will all but guarantee you will get in a good finish time.

The only modifications I would make to this are due to the map and level. The map is so small, you can get by with one scout, and building that after monument shrine is even feasible if your initial warrior scouts well. I also prefer monasteries over mosques at Chieftain level.

Grabbing theworker/settler and then making peace to get the trade route and shared religion bonuses really do help speed this one up. The map is small, so the stolen workers get to work right away and your religion is easily shared.

The following are the results of G-Minor CCV. The settings are at the bottom of the page:

RankPlayerDateTurnScore
[IMG alt="Gold Medal"]https://hof.civfanatics.net/civ5/images/gold.png[/IMG]zenmaster950 BC12210256
[IMG alt="Silver Medal"]https://hof.civfanatics.net/civ5/images/silver.png[/IMG]fiddlesticks875 BC1257125
[IMG alt="Bronze Medal"]https://hof.civfanatics.net/civ5/images/bronze.png[/IMG]zlither440 BC14410973
4aafritz17280 AD1926592
5billybgame1030 AD2486648
6superman328701080 AD2536469
7R.G.A.M.1585 AD33710754

Settings:
  • Expansion: Brave New World
  • Victory Condition: Culture (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Chieftain
  • Map Size: Duel
  • Map Type: Great Plains
  • Speed: Epic
  • Leader: Byzantium (Theodora)
  • Opponents: Must include Maya (Pacal)
  • Version: SV8
  • Date: 2nd March to 1st May 2023
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Top Bottom