1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

G-Minor CLXV

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by aafritz17, Apr 1, 2019.

1. aafritz17

aafritz17 Chieftain Hall of Fame Staff Supporter

While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:

• Expansion: Brave New World
    • Victory Condition: Domination (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
    • Difficulty: Chieftain
    • Map Size: Tiny
    • Map Type: Great Plains
    • Speed: Standard
    • Leader: Any
    • Opponents: Any
    • Version: SV8
    • Date: 1 April to 30 April 2019
    The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

2. vadalaz

vadalaz Chieftain

Played a few starts and realized I'd underestimated the distances you have to cover on a Tiny GP map. Turn 15 doesn't seem very realistic to me anymore, but I did get a turn 21 victory with the Huns. The final capital survived turn 20 with single digits of HP and I think turn 18-19 is possible with a lot of luck.

I can think of a scenario where Spain gets a sub-T20 victory as well, so that's what I'm going to try next time.

Edit: Apparently Spain gets 312 gold for being the first to discover NWs in this setup.

Initially I was planning to get 3 armies with 3 archers each as Spain as I thought I'd get 500 gold per wonder, but 312 just doesn't seem to be enough to get the archers in time. I got a T30 victory on a map with 2 early NW finds with 3 armies of 2 archers and a capture unit each. Then I tried other unit distributions on the same map and the most effective one (T27 victory) was actually 4 archers in first army and 2 archers in the second one. 3-3 archer split won on turn 29. An Archery ruin would've sped everything up by 5 turns I think.

Sort of makes me wonder if a super aggressive opener like this is viable for a low-difficulty science game.

Edit 2: T26 Spain on a new map, using the 4-2 archer split, no Archery ruin once again and no scout upgrade either. I want to try the Shoshone next, but I don't see them being able to compete with Spain or the Huns. All of my estimates have been wrong so far though!

Edit 3: Shoshone's CBs don't seem to help that much. I kind of want to try Germany for fun and move on to the Major, then maybe revisit this at the end of the month.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  3. Manpanzee

Manpanzee Chieftain

I was using Shoshone, and I think it would be tough to get lower than around t30 with them. CompBows are nice, but you still need more than one ranged unit to take a city... CompBow+Pathfinder isn't gonna get the job done. So the mere fact of having CompBows doesn't speed things up hugely in itself.

But what Shoshone DO have going for them is consistency. If you're lazy and don't like re-rolling a lot, Shoshone always gets ruins in the right sequence and consistently gives you a quick win.

4. billybgame

billybgame Chieftain

Getting back to Civ 5...laptop had tons of issues, so can no longer play on it....but do have a nice working desktop so figured I'd spend more time in my nice den:)

We tried this....not sure how you do ultra fast conquest victories, so just chose a civ I hadn't done yet, Isabella, and formed a somewhat proper army and won on turn 65.

5. zenmaster

zenmaster Chieftain Supporter

Glad you got civ5 going well on your laptop in your den! It can be finicky to run these days with constantly updating OSes and Steam builds.

Keep going with civs you haven't played yet, and before you know it, the VVV may be in reach!

6. aafritz17

I did not realize until just now that the opening post does not show that each player can submit 3 games for this gauntlet.

I don't know how the gauntlet scoring will work, but for the HoF tables you can only have one entry per Leader here. So, go ahead, submit that 30-turn Attila, but then try some other Leaders, probably based on one of their EARLY uniques.

Some examples;
    Inca ignores hills
    Maya doesn't need Archery to start
    Persia gets extra moves during Golden Age
    Songhai gets triple gold from barb camps

In all of my games I bullied the heck out of the C/Ss.

And get your horses from your second Social Policy.

7. Zlither

Zlither Chieftain

Tried Spain and Maya... but nothing (for me) beats battling ram... turn 24. No patience re-rolling to get it lower. Think maybe it would
    be best to find/take the 2nd furthest city with the upgraded warrior, then go for the 3rd. Meanwhile use cash to get a second for the closest city.

First time playing in months (after finishing the VVV).

8. aafritz17

Congrats on completing VVV!

9. tagger2013

tagger2013 Chieftain

I submitted 2 games why are they not on the list?

10. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Thanks for pointing this out. Fixed.

11. aafritz17

12. zenmaster

zenmaster Chieftain Supporter

Glad to see you get this quick game in! My city must have just grown a tad more to eek out the silver.

I felt extremely fortunate. On only the 3rd map roll, I got the holy grail. Initial warrior upgrade to BRam, first warrior built got an upgrade to ram. The build order was warrior, warrior, scout (to help find AI civs) Capital on edge of Eastern forest. 1st ram took care of the two far foes in the plains/mts. Only impediment was that my 2nd warrior had to backtrack 2 squares as a hut only came into view from a hill in SE rough terrain. Upgraded and had to slog through marsh and hills to get to the southeastern civ.

No way was I going to reroll to try to beat that fortune. How many tries that would have taken boggles my mind.

Congrats to Vadalaz on taking the gold!