1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

G-Minor CLXVII

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by aafritz17, Jun 1, 2019.

1. aafritz17

aafritz17 Chieftain Hall of Fame Staff Supporter

While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:
    • Expansion: Brave New World
    • Victory Condition: Science (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
    • Difficulty: Chieftain
    • Map Size: Huge
    • Map Type: Inland Sea
    • Speed: Standard
    • Leader: Shoshone (Pocatello)
    • Opponents: Any
    • Version: SV8
    • Date: 1st to 30th June 2019
    The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

2. dinanipedro

dinanipedro highlander

3. zenmaster

zenmaster Chieftain Supporter

Been AWOL for awhile now. Just looking at the gauntlets now. This one will be a fast, fast finish. The T220 mentioned above should fall easily to the Shoshone on Chieftain with a good enough start. Chieftain is almost as good as Settler for happiness purposes. Wide and growth-driven should do well. Going to pick low scouting bias AI civs to try to get to as many huts as possible!

4. aafritz17

Yeah, maybe we'll get @sexten a better medal.

Finished one game, but had major screw-ups at end, so playing another.

Both happiness and gold have been plentiful, so took / taking Freedom. I was surprised at the gold, Chieftain AI sure doesn't have any. But I had 8 or 9 connected cities plus Machu, sure that was a lot of it.

5. zenmaster

Just turned in a sub-200 game. 8 cities, Desert Folklore. Only 1 coastal city, only 3 or 4 cities with mountains, and not the craziest capital or Petra expansion city.

The Desert Folklore helped rake in so much cash with Tithe and so much faith I hit the 4th faith-bought scientist right under the wire. Went for the production bonus belief first to kickstart the granaries and then Feed the World. For SP's, went Liberty (most), Tradition Opener, Commerce through to the buying discount before Rationalism was available, Rationalism, Freedom and finally finishing Liberty.. Many culture city-states, so social policies were rocking the growth and science. Nominated World's Fair first because I couldn't get the Science Focus resolution passed yet, but got it passed on the 2nd vote due to dominating the city-state votes.

The victory time could have been even faster. Screwed up and got my first settler captured by barbs, so my first expansion city was in a different location and founded slower than it should have been. My eighth city's founding was delayed a decent amount because my composite bowman had to fight through a swarm of barbarians to clear the way. I also think I started bulbing too late. Just not used to the insane science at the endgame. Was over 1700 bulbs and about 650 gold per turn at the end.

Good luck to those getting this one in. The Shoshone are simply incredible. With Chieftain, don't sweat happiness. Paying the slightest amount of attention to it will suffice, so go for all out growth.

6. billybgame

billybgame Chieftain

Not sure on turn but just submitted 1928 win......had a lot of cities....maybe too many.....also maybe erred making too many unnecessary Monasterys and Pagodas, so didn't have enough faith to purchase many GS near end game.

Was in total domination and controlled all the voting all game....had GS +33% from the very first vote.

See everyone uses turn # instead of year here....guess I'll have to get in that habit...not sure what turn number it was.

7. zenmaster

Yes, this gauntlet was a nice one to have a good grip on the world from the start. Nice job getting the Great Scientist vote through on the first World Congress.

Glad to see you got an enjoyable game in.

Curious as to why you went with Monasteries in a science victory game. Monasteries are great as cheap culture providers and tourism producers in a sacred sites Culture victory game; they are my first follower belief always in those! However, they don't seem to help growth or production or happiness much-- the most important factors in a science victory game.

When you say you had too many cities, do you mean double digits many? At Chieftain level, I am not sure if Pagodas are a good idea either. Unless your city count is crazy big, happiness shouldn't be an issue at this difficulty level. A growth belief like Feed the World or Swords into Plowshares is probably the best first belief to boost growth and thus science. As Cromagnus used to say, in Settler and Chieftain games, it's all about growth!

8. dinanipedro

dinanipedro highlander

just missed the sub 200 game on this one
    congrats to those getting it under

some stats and shots from my attempt
    pretty standard DF - Petra 6-7 city trad-lib mix

https://imgur.com/gallery/1H1RDMO

these huge maps are heavy consumption (dx9) on my laptop which i've been using to play recently - - - at least we keep one of the gauntlets on standards (size, etc) ;-)

9. aafritz17

Dang, one of them is epic. But it's small, so maybe the epic will be ok for ya.

10. aafritz17