1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

G-Minor CLXXV

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by aafritz17, Feb 29, 2020.

1. aafritz17

aafritz17 Prince Hall of Fame Staff Supporter

While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:
    • Expansion: Brave New World
    • Victory Condition: Culture (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
    • Difficulty: King
    • Map Size: Huge
    • Map Type: Tiny Islands
    • Speed: Standard
    • Leader: France (Napoleon)
    • Opponents: Must include Austria (Maria Theresa), Byzantium (Theodora), Celts (Boudicca), Egypt (Ramesses II), Ethiopia (Haile Selassie), India (Gandhi), Morocco (Ahmad al-Mansur), Siam (Ramkhamhaeng), and three more of your own choosing.
    • Version: SV8
    • Date: 1st to 31st March 2020
    The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  2. zenmaster

zenmaster King Supporter

You can fit A LOT of cities on a Huge Tiny Islands map. My empire had 31 cities when I hit victory somewhere in the T150s, with city 32 set to drop the next turn.
    My choice opponent was Harald, who is the best nonthreatening opponent for every victory type except high-level domination. Always a bonus that he commends your soul to Valhalla if you vanquish him as well! :viking:

3. Nizef

Nizef Warlord

If this is a huge map, then there is probably a need for three AIs of own choice?

4. aafritz17

Good catch, and totally my bad - meant to make it Large, but sure-enough clicked Huge.

Looks like there's one game already submitted, so I won't change the game, I'll just add an edit to the OP.

5. Nizef

Nizef Warlord

It is not a big deal for me. I just wanted to make sure that I understood it correctly.

6. billybgame

billybgame Prince

Firstly have to admit I have yet to win a King Civ 5 game. But, I have no earthly idea how you can win a Culture game in the Turn 150s with 32 cities? Was this a typo? How would you get the tourism required? And, how would you manage happiness, let alone given the King penalties involved?

I'm around turn 105 with 4 cities while other civs are building wonders before I even am close to the tech being discovered.

Have a very strong civ also, and after rerolling my starting spot, Paris is a strong city with a great shot at building culture wonders. But, the Parthernon was built quite a bit before 1 AD! I was shocked as I was so far away from the tech still.

After failed early attempts(one civ had a killer spot and big lead.....next time, I met no trade partners, so was in $ and science distress). So, now have everything working right, but the other civs have gobbled up all the religions so I see that as a major hardship now.

And, again, 1 or 2 civs have big early leads....haven't met either, but betting they have premium starting spots again.

Thinking maybe still not ready for King yet. For a small advantage the AI seems WAY ahead. Being this is due 3/31, I may just give up and go for the GOTM instead.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  7. aafritz17

I had 45-50 when I finally won on T253. I could NOT get a second building. Played 2 or 3 games out over 100 turns to my second G-Prophet, only to find all buildings were gone. Could usually get Stonehenge and 1st religion, but could never enhance in time to get a 2nd building. At some point I realized I didn't have to actually get that 2nd GPr, I could keep checking the Religion/Beliefs tab to see what had been taken. That let me play 4 or 5 games to +/-50 turns - only to see the final building get nabbed.

Finally decided to give it a go with just one, see how it went. Felt like it was going OK, maybe sub-200, until I had only 4 civs left to influence. None of them were real runaways, but the game sure slowed down. But it was late in the month, wasn't gonna have time to start again, so just played it out.

Learned a little trick, but way too late to help much. Had a bunch of 1-pop cities near one of the other religions with a building, and one of my cities succumbed to that foreign idolatry. So, naturally, I bought the Cathedral in that city. Then it came to me - I had more faith than I could use, so started buying missionaries there, converted several of the nearby one-pop cities, bought Cathedrals in them, too. Had I thought of that 100 turns earlier, I would have had a bunch of 2-building cities, and a lot less stress about happiness.

It's called the Sacred Sites strategy. (Not certain that's what @zenmaster did, but I'd bet on it.) You have to get the Sacred Sites reformation belief (4th policy in Piety) that gives 2-Tourism for every building purchased with faith (so a Pagoda, Mosque, Monastery, or Cathedral). But then you have to get the building beliefs, too. Spam cities, get them converted asap, then buy both buildings in them. It seems a little slowish at the start, but it eventually hits a critical mass that can give TOO MUCH faith, ya have to be creative to NOT spawn another GPr! There might be a newer thread somewhere, but here is where I mostly learned about it. I recommend you try it sometime, maybe at Prince and on a Island map (either Large or Tiny). It's quirky and unusual enough to be a lot of fun to learn.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  8. zenmaster

zenmaster King Supporter

Wow, 45-50 cities is a serious empire! Almost like a Time victory game.

Yes, the 2nd faith building is crucial for sacred sites. The key on this map was to beeline Optics so you could explore and get huts. I had some gems on my islands for Tears of the Gods, but faith huts really jumpstarted my religion and helped ensure that second faith building. The other key in my game was the two nearest city-states, were mercantile and friendly/neutral, so their alliances helped with happiness all game. Uluru was on a nearby island, which obviously helped midgame faith. I was worried about happiness so I went Pagodas first, but had so much faith rolling in I was able to go Mosques for my 2nd belief and grow most cities to populations 3 or 4 by game end! That helped my science to get to Civil Service in good time to have Open Borders and the tourism bonus that entails with everyone pretty quickly for a Sacred Sites game.

I did spawn a 2nd Great Prophet at some point naturally, so didn't even bother filling out Piety with Theocracy. Ended up finishing Liberty before game end.

Yes, that Sacred Sites guide is not bad. Either go Liberty to Collective Rule and then get the Reformation belief in Piety or on lower levels, just go pure Piety. I have found growing the capital city to 5 or 6 at least is very helpful for getting to techs and building settlers (or wonders) faster. Founder belief should always be Initiation Rites to get cash to buy settlers and other needs. If happiness is not a big issue, first belief is ideally monasteries as they are cheaper than other faith buildings so you can get them built faster with less faith. Pagodas or Mosques is the best second belief to get some happiness to grow cities to 2-4 population. As for the capital, cranking out Settlers is a big part of it obviously, but experience and circumstances will help figure what buildings/wonders to go for and when.

I will echo aafritz's recommendation to try it. Islands and "largish" maps like Boreal/Highlands do give plenty of room to build cities, but Inland Sea and Pangaea also are fun to play with Sacred Sites as your religion can spread like Wildfire and you meet all the AI civs soon to get your tourism started ASAP and allow for conquest if you have a runaway culture opponent.