G-Minor CXII

Denniz

Where's my breakfast?
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:
  • Expansion: Brave New World
  • Victory Condition: Science (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Chieftain
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Map Type: Great Plains
  • Speed: Standard
  • Leader: Any
  • Required: No Goody Huts
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: SV8
  • Date: 2nd to 16th January 2016
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

:mischief: no ruins, oh là là

the days call for trying different ways

liberty to piety to rationalism to freedom
plan was to voodoo Jesuit educate these great plains, and not overcounquer with the wierding ways :lol:

Attachments

• 2016-01-06_00001.jpg
    2016-01-06_00001.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 199
  • 2016-01-06_00002.jpg
    2016-01-06_00002.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 269
227 with Egypt. 4 cities - tradition - liberty. Some bad management but I don't think I can go under 220 with Ramses.
Impossible to roll a montain start with Casimir. We'll try Korea and Austria (because CS are annoying for room).

Got a turn 218 with Babylon. Basically rerolled until I could move to the mountains in a couple of moves. Early game wasn't super great, Education was turn 103, but the capital really picked up speed after that and ended game with 47 pop. Timings at end was almost perfect, waited for 1 last natural scientist before finishing hubble/porcelain/leaning tower, and after bulbing all scientists I was one turn away from final tech needed to purchase the last part and win. Two out of four city locations were not the best so it could still be improved upon of course.

Spoiler :

Did another attempt, managed to win turn 209 even with some huge mistakes. Decided to try a different strategy in the beginning, picking up 3 points in Liberty before going into and filling out Tradition (then went back for an extra scientist from Liberty after getting the needed points in rationalism, commerce and freedom). Total of 6 cities, all with a huge amount of fresh water tiles and Pasture tiles. The culture from pastures pantheon really helped with the extra points I needed, not sure if It would have worked without that (Unless you use Poland of course). Even so when I put the final point in Tradition I was already in renaissance so I was missing out on Rationalism for a bit.

Unfortunately I accidentally finished Oxford when prebuilding it. I tried to salvage it slightly by bulbing two scientists so I could use it for plastics. Then I also badly misjudged how many scientists I needed, having 3 or maybe even 4 leftover after finishing the final tech. I replayed the game from the Oxford turn and managed turn 202, though that doesn't count for HoF obviously.

Spoiler :

You can turn off "disable start bias" (name is approximate) under advanced options.

Thank you. I didn't remember if it was allowed for HoF games. :goodjob:

I failed go under T220 with Poland, Korea and Austria. Sometimes because food in not wonderful, sometimes because faith is low, and I miss one GS.

My start is, perhaps, not optimal : scout -> monument -> scout. I wonder if a monument is really important. But, without ruins, it's very long to have tradition open.

Also, I tried 2 cities NC, and 4 cities NC. I'm currently trying a Bab 4 cities with 1 city NC, I'll see what it does.

I'll give this a try as Attila for fun. The plan is to found 4-5 cities and capture 3-5 more by ~T60. There's a ton of pasture resources on Great Plains, which means a lot of bonus production for the Huns.

Obviously I think Spain might be top cat for this but that would require possible hours or rolling so I might roll Babs for the lulz and see how I rank

Huns are a lot of fun so far. It's turn 75 and I have GL, ToA and Pyramids, 9 cities + 1 puppet which I'll annex after engineering NC in 5 turns... I think I've secured every luxury resource on the map, so I should have constant WLTKDs soon.

Spoiler :

Couldn't resist and took one more city from Spain. I've annexed 5 cities and still haven't built a single courthouse or happiness building, Chieftain is that silly. T120 Secularism and things are looking good, I think I'm a bit behind my personal best Spain/Prince game right now, might be able to catch up with the city advantage though.

Spoiler :

Obviously I think Spain might be top cat for this but that would require possible hours or rolling so I might roll Babs for the lulz and see how I rank

Yup, I thought about it. Not so much reroll, actually. With some luck you can grab two first natural wonder first discover. It ensure you enough to have 2/3 free settlers as first 500 gold are easier with trade in first 40 tuns.

Won on turn 180. Didn't need Hubble in the end (seems to happen a lot in wide science games) and I had to bulb carefully since each GS was worth over 17000 beakers. Perhaps I could've shaved off a turn if I started bulbing earlier and built research instead of Hubble. It's unfortunate you can't faith-buy engineers when you go Liberty. Maybe I should've tried to get a natural one.
Spoiler :

Attila's a strong pick here. You get a lot of cities fast, a free tech, great production in every city thanks to the pasture bonus, and a lot of growth thanks to endless WLTKDs once you secure every luxury on the map. Chieftain difficulty provides the happiness required to annex everything and grow non-stop.

Yup, I thought about it. Not so much reroll, actually. With some luck you can grab two first natural wonder first discover. It ensure you enough to have 2/3 free settlers as first 500 gold are easier with trade in first 40 tuns.

I'm not good at endgame, but w/ Spain couldn't do better than 235 (take 15+ off of that for silly mistakes).

Interesting trick: get Uluru (4food/12faith as Spain). Pantheon 2 turns later; religion not very far behind. Take 100gold when city first converts. Since all cities are small, religion takes off like wildfire. Get 2k+++ gold (around 3600 with future cities) (and found 3 wonders first for another 750).

Even if another civ got a religion, the capital would instantly revert back to Spain's (30% further influence helped this), unless they used a GP on their own capital.

I am creeping dangerously close to sub 200 SVs. Managed a T199 once but couldn't repeat it. I think Spain are a safe pick here as even with 8-9 Liberty cities, if 2 of them have NWs they can get silly, should be consistent in the 210s range. Only issues IIRC were gold and happiness briefly but then you take off. But Babs it is

I can't see your pictures, Vadalaz.

Strange, they're working for me. I've changed the links slightly, do you see them now?

Top Bottom