1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

G-Minor CXLXII

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Denniz, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Denniz

Denniz Where's my breakfast? Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:
    • Expansion: Brave New World
    • Victory Condition: Diplomacy (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
    • Difficulty: Chieftain
    • Map Size: Standard
    • Map Type: Fractal
    • Speed: Standard
    • Leader: Ottomans (Suleiman)
    • Opponents: Any
    • Version: SV8
    • Date: 7th November to 1st December 2017
    The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

2. aafritz17

aafritz17 Chieftain Supporter

Just have to ask (please, only in good fun, cuz I'm sure you know the correct answer);

Spoiler :
    WHAT THE HECK IS ROMAN NUMERAL CXLXII!

3. billybgame

billybgame Chieftain

Hah.....I really don't remember this anymore either.....as opposed to Civ 4, now I just name my save files things like GMinor Suleiman....I used to name them GMinor73, or whatever number it was.

We finished this up....1894. Not sure if that's good or bad.....not sure I could go much faster without taking out much of the world, besides city states.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  4. zenmaster

zenmaster Chieftain

Haha, taking out much of the world can be the key if you want it to be. If you completely obliterate all the AI civs except for two (or one), the World Leader vote will be triggered after the next World Congress that completes once you reach the Atomic Age (Atomic Theory usually the fastest tech to get to in that age). If you can time hitting the Atomic Theory tech as fast as possible while decimating all civs but two, you can get the vote as soon as possible. Of course, you need the extra votes from Forbidden Palace, World Religion, and having all or almost all the city-states allied too to win the World Leader vote that quickly... It is not as hard as it sounds, though, especially on Chieftain. :)

5. Zlither

Zlither Chieftain

Just submitted a turn 222 entry. (Mods: crash at 198; saves from before and after and every couple of actions in between on the replay are available). Felt it can be done much faster, but not with the starts I got.

Don't like Fractal maps - (1) too hard to get a good map. (2) There's not much space, but not little enough to have close enough neighbors to take over and have safe food caravan routes. In the final (submitted) game, gave up: moved settler accidentally near to Dido, made 1 city, then took over Dido for 3rd. (3) cant change climate or sea level (to force players closer together).

Suleiman is also weird - two land units, but prize ship and 1/3 cost naval UA. Used exactly once and that of no use. Did use the UUs though, as they came about the right time, but not sure how much extra they bought at this difficulty level (guess: little or none).

Unlike most of these challenges, got only marginally better in 4 tries (often get 10-25% better).

Atomic Theory [fix] is your friend if you do kill off 5 of the civs - did manage 1 cycle world congress, which has always been a struggle.

(and no cxlxii doesn't make sense!)

May try 1 more time, but it's painful getting a good start. May go 1 city and conquer, depends upon map.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  6. zenmaster

zenmaster Chieftain

I hear you on the fractal maps. There was a Mongol Standard Quick Fractal Map Domination listing once that I knew I could beat... if I could just get a Pangaea-type Fractal. It was Quick, so not enough time to explore totally as you conquered fast. Conquered all civs but one like 2-3 times only to discover that the last civ was off on a remote island every time. Then sent out early scouts another 2-3 games and it still took a long time to figure out the lack of Pangaeaness. Ugh!

Agree fully on Suleiman too. There is a reason he is less represented in the HoF with finished games than most other civs! I don't think anyone plays them out of high interest.

I got very lucky on this one. Fractal maps are generally snaky and spaced badly like you said, but I got a nice rounded pangaea on like my second serious try (My first I ended after about 80 turns when there were no nearby city-states at all and most I found were miltary :p No help at all from City-States in a low-level Diplomacy game is not ideal). Was able to get the finish under 200.

Good luck to anyone sneaking this one in near the deadline

7. vadalaz

vadalaz Chieftain

I forgot to add a warmonger to the opponent list so I ended up playing a peaceful info era game. That was on the only good map I managed to roll, got a decent finish time but nowhere near those Chieftain/Terra/Diplo games in HOF. At least this should improve my Fractal map quest score and get me a little bit closer to 100k in VVV. :)

8. zenmaster

zenmaster Chieftain

Zlither, are you playing on a Windows 10 machine? These frequent "Creator's Updates" are hurting the game's stability for me. I try to put them off as long as I can, but it seems they bundle all the updates together these days, and it seems mandatory at some point. In the past, an update broke the whole game a couple times, but people found fixes and soon after you could resume playing just as before. In the last couple weeks, the game has just been flaky, getting stuck infinitely on ends of turns and such. I usually play on my laptop, just saving the game and closing the laptop to put it in sleep mode as I sneak in sessions here and there on the road. It has worked pretty well in that way, but the last couple weeks finds the game just a nonstarter after waking the computer up.

I am loving Liberty these days for all the victory types pretty much, especially on the lower difficulties. Liberty gives you time to build/buy your first archer army right before you hit the free settler policy. You can crank out 2-4 quick expansion cities while your army conquers the AI neighbors to annex, and still have time to get in all the key early wonders. This of course assumes there is enough space to expand and neighbors relatively close by. I can't get that kind of early traction with Tradition usually, regardless of how good the setup is.

Haha, I went in the other direction; I have been eschewing the peaceful diplomacy for hanging out with Attila and divvying up the world before the World Congress. I remember your observations about Attila regarding his seemingly insane behavior at times. I now know the truth of it. He seems to have a randomized behavior factor built in!

I am pretty baffled about how I am able to get one vote cycle victories now; does difficulty level affect that ability? I could swear that I played games a couple years ago in which I had the max CS's allied, and World Religion and Forbidden Palace, but I was still short two votes for World Leader. It was so frustrating when it happened a couple times, that I gave up on one vote cycle tries, thinking you could only get them by bribing an AI civ to vote for you (which was extremely difficult and risky). I went for it in this gauntlet, and got it, so I am revisiting a few older entries to see how much better I can do. I am not going to outdo most of your awesome win times, but one-vote-cycle does seem the best way to go in conquest style Diplo wins, as Cromagnus always posited!
    Fractal maps are underrepresented for me as well. No control over any of the settings and no predictability is a bad combo. At least they are better than Shuffle maps :) , which I think I shall start calling "Tundra Island" maps, because that is what they give me over half the time.
    Playing some high scoring games with underrepresented categories fills up that VVV pretty fast, so I bet you hit 6 figures sooner rather than later. :cool:

9. zenmaster

zenmaster Chieftain

There is a reason everyone stopped using the Roman system and started using Arabic numbers :)

10. vadalaz

vadalaz Chieftain

If I remember correctly, you can bribe AIs to vote for you as long as the number of (your votes + their votes + 4) is less than the World Leader requirement. So in that one game where I had assumed Attila was insane, I actually didn't ally enough CSs for Attila to think I'm a threat at the time. ;)

Difficulty level has no effect on DiploV, but map size does affect the vote requirement, maybe that was the case in your games? I believe you're 1 or 2 votes short on Small even if you max out your votes in one non-Globalization cycle, and it gets worse on Tiny and Duel.

11. Zlither

Zlither Chieftain

I normally use a Win7 or MacBP(both w/ GPUs), but for this challenge was using a MacBook (12"). Of note: the MB - with bare minimum graphics settings - was significantly more stable than the other two. Just painfully slow.

In general, with the W7 or the MBP, if I do more than a few (10?) re-rolls, there will be a crash later on (first the graphics go wonkers, then 0-10 turns later, crash). Very repeatable. But on the W7 machine, choosing the older graphics (DX9 i think) is far more stable (still crashes sometimes).

For those three reasons (the pre-glitches, the change in behavior on W7 graphics mode, and change in behavior on high versus low mac settings), strongly suspect a graphics bug. Have posted about this before (in the support forum) as it is so repeatable.

(EUI version may make a difference ... have suspected it at times. One recent version definitely did. Need to check which version the machines are on now - the MB is borrowed, and has v1.29beta16 which may be a newer version than the other two.)

12. zenmaster

zenmaster Chieftain

Aaaaah, so it is the map size that affects things. I guess I should have known that, and maybe I did at one point, but it just goes to show there is always something new to learn (or learn again) :p
    Thanks!

13. zenmaster

zenmaster Chieftain

Thanks for sharing your experience! I did not think about the EUI. Maybe I need to check which version I am using.

14. Denniz

Denniz Where's my breakfast? Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Gauntlet Results:
    G-Minor CXLXII - Diplomacy, Chieftain, Standard, Fractal, Standard, Ottomans (Suleiman)

1st zenmaster - 1290 AD T-189
    2nd vadalaz - 1320 AD T-192
    3rd zlither - 1555 AD T-221