G-Minor CXXV

Denniz

Where's my breakfast?
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:
  • Expansion: Brave New World
  • Victory Condition: Culture (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Warlord
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Map Type: Large Islands
  • Speed: Standard
  • Leader: Brazil (Pedro II)
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: SV8
  • Date: 17th July to 1st August 2016
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Tried 2,3 & 4 cities w typical starts and all were around 305... then got a semi-decent Petra start (no mountain, not enough fresh water, but lots of hills) ... 264. Maybe I just don't know how to play jungles, but they seem to make an island start even slower.

Thoughts:
Artists might be better for golden ages(2* tourism), esp after Freedoms' extension to them.
Early warfare might be much quicker.
Musicians late to bombard the leader (if you don't forcefully adjust the situation).
A good Petra city removes most of the advantages of Liberty.
Sacred sites might be quicker, but w/ islands, didn't try.

Anything below immortal difficulty that isn't continents = Sacred Sites, should be sub 200 easily.
Get your capital to size 3-4, get some triemes, make settlers non stop and settle lots of pop 1 cities. Tech Optics once you run out of space on your starting island. Take Piety into reformation. You should be able to roll a start where you don't need astronomy to meet every civ.

Thanks for the tip - 188 w/ Sacred sites. Had a bit of an issue w/ happiness.
Stonehenge, Oracle, National College and GE for ChichenItza. Suspect NC was wasted.
Left side of liberty, then Piety, finish liberty for a GA for a (CI enhanced) golden age.

[not sure how to upload an image from desktop]

That's correct, NC, or even libraries aren't needed in a non astronomy SS game. The furthest tech you need is to get to philosophy for temples. You can optionally build Oracle but I usually don't bother.

Tried 2x more - last was 136 (not sure if submitted in time). No NC, but still SH & Oracle. Without Oracle, don't think the 4th policy in both Piety & Liberty could be reached (for SS and for a golden age), but that's just my guess.

Other time would have been around the same, except Korea was hiding in the Polar regions with no possible sea route.

Thanks!

Top Bottom