G-Minor CXXXX

Denniz

Where's my breakfast?
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:
  • Expansion: Brave New World
  • Victory Condition: Diplomacy (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Prince
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Map Type: Inland Sea
  • Speed: Epic
  • Leader: Morocco (Ahmad al-Mansur)
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: SV8
  • Date: 2nd to 16th March 2017
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Do other Civs correctly evaluate war on Epic? Or maybe the cost of building units?

On a game where I had only 2/3 pikemen and 2 scouts, declared war on both India and Siam at different times. In each case it was to catch their prophets (no one interferes with my revenue streams, woops... religious beliefs). In each case they offered me a city soon afterwards.

The AI military (and peace deals) are genuinely off-kilter on Epic and Marathon. Conquest is a lot easier and the peace deals are sweeter. The AIs just cannot run their civs as well per turn, and the increased number of turns just kills them. I don't know if the coding switches values in a wonky way military-wise for Epic or Marathon, but the end result is easier conquest and sweeter peace deals for sure! I have milked them for lone luxuries and all their available cash and gpt without them batting an eye.

The increased number of turns kills me as well. And to think I used to play on Epic exclusively back in vanilla days...

Anyone with Windows 10 having any issues with stability while playing?

When Windows 10 had its last megaupdate, my Civ 5 was rendered unplayable until I gleaned a fix from a Steam forum. It has been OK for awhile, but this month it has gotten very unstable. I long for the days of older Windows when I could refuse updates that broke my most used programs. these days updates are received whether you like them or not.

I have been able to play lately because I can sneak play in during my travel and waiting times each day on my laptop. (Basically playing civ instead of messing with my smartphone) So as not to have to constantly reload, I just save and sleep the computer, sometimes for over a day or more, by closing the laptop, which is why some of my play times look like a bazillion hours. Games have been holding up well, rarely having to load from a save unless the graphics get too glitchy (too many sleeps and some graphics start to disappear or get messed up to render the game nigh unplayable at some point)

This month, though, crashes and glitches have been numerous. Sometimes the Civ game doesn't wake up from the sleep mode. Gave up on a very promising start in the Deity gauntlet after crashing like 3 times in the first 50 turns or so. Got a game of this gauntlet in luckily despite a midgame crash. Just wondering if my laptop is starting to bug out or if it is some pesky Windows 10 updates gumming up the works. Cheap laptops are getting more powerful these days, so maybe I am in line for a replacement soon.

There is supposedly a huge Win10 Creators update coming soon, which probably does not bode well for my software :)

The game has been working fine for me on Win10, but I did get one crash this month as well. Tried to play a Duel/Lakes/Epic time game, got some bugged graphics after I loaded my ~t150 save (black tiles in normal view, strategic looked fine though) and then the game just froze. I figured it was a map issue so I abandoned the game, but who knows. Didn't have any issues with the gauntlet maps.

My result seems to be published but I can't see it on Gauntlet results table. I was better that the last one :mischief:
11820 2017-03-16 407 1794 AD 6090 SV8 Published

The game has been working fine for me on Win10, but I did get one crash this month as well. Tried to play a Duel/Lakes/Epic time game, got some bugged graphics after I loaded my ~t150 save (black tiles in normal view, strategic looked fine though) and then the game just froze. I figured it was a map issue so I abandoned the game, but who knows. Didn't have any issues with the gauntlet maps.

Thanks for the response. My games have been a little better lately, though not as stable as before. When things act up, there are several agents that could contribute, like antivirus programs, Windows Updates, Steam Updates, and aging hardware. I have had a few crashes caused by Steam Updates autoloading and then prompting me-- I leave the crashed game to see the Update prompt. Huge Windows 10 "Creators" Update happens next month, so I am crossing my fingers.

Top Bottom