1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

G-Minor LXX

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Denniz, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Denniz

Denniz Where's my breakfast? Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:
    • Expansion: Brave New World
    • Victory Condition: Domination (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
    • Difficulty: Chieftain
    • Map Size: Standard
    • Map Type: Pangaea
    • Speed: Standard
    • Leader: Zulu (Shaka)
    • Opponents: Must include Assyria (Ashurbanipal), Aztec (Montezuma), Carthage (Dido), Celts (Boudicca), Greece (Alexander), Inca (Pachacuti), Persia (Darius I)
    • Version: SV8
    • Date: 1st to 16th February 2014
    The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

2. Dracandross

Dracandross Warlord

Hmm interesting, wonder whats good, T90-100? First run ended up t123 but it sucked bad due loads of hills (on wrong places)

-D

3. Xger

Xger Prince

If this gauntlet is as competitive as the past balls to the walls dom ones T90 will likely not even medal. As for the hills, turn the settings to 5 billion year old earth as that means less hills and mountains.

My first run through I lost probably 6-8 turns due to the terrain outside of Assyria. Nothing like a ring of hills, a couple of marshes and a few mountains to slow you down :crazyeye:

4. TyfoonTurk

TyfoonTurk Warlord

first run t77 with archers without center start

5. Peets

Peets Emperor Hall of Fame Staff

Turn 103, I'm happy with it :)
    I did barrack with spearman to have the nice promotions.

6. dcruze75

dcruze75 Chieftain

What's a good strategy for fast domination victories? I tried doing this and got Turn 193, though that was with a really bad map full of hills and forests. I'll do 5 billion and maybe arid for my next try.

I didn't get the war going until just before 1 AD with barracks, spearmen and catapults. Should I just plant my capital, don't think about building more cities, and just churn out archers instead?

7. Salomo

Salomo Warlord

That would be one option.

Not sure whether it is the best strategy since the zulu baracks are pretty awesome. But you certainly dont need to found a second city and you dont need to wait for catapults to attack.

8. Xger

Xger Prince

By the time you have a barracks built you could have 1-2 armies taking cities. At Chieftain there is practically no resistance early in the game and most cities can fall with as little as 2 archers and 2 warriors. The barracks come too late.

9. Cromagnus

Cromagnus Deity

Sadly, many of a civ's features become pointless at low difficulty if your goal is purely speed, because as mentioned, you don't need Ikanda to win fast. They help when you're planning to do a Civil Service Impi Rush, but for a Chieftain Zulu game, it's not even necessary to tech Civil Service.

It is rather unfortunate, but that's the way it works kinda. I've been mulling over in my head the idea of challenges that start at the appropriate era to actually use the tech. For Zulu, maybe start in the classical era, so that you can immediately build Ikanda and you're only a few techs away from civil service. Maybe then it would actually better to wait. Even on Chieftain. I'm thinking the same way about a lot of civs, at least for Domination Gauntlets/Challenges below Immortal. I've had a similar frustration with the new G-Major for different reasons. Because it's an islands map, you need optics to attack. By the time you tech Optics, Construction, and Iron-working, you're way behind on tech unless you first focus on libraries/NC, which also delays those techs, so you're behind either way... whereas if it were a continents map, you could delay optics until after your kris rush. But, Indonesia works better on islands because it's a bit late to be settling cities *after* you clear your continent. :p

Basically I either end up attacking with XBows and Longswordsmen that I upgraded from Kris around t100+, or I end up suiciding into superior units with my kris on t80. So, for an Islands map, starting in the Classical Era would help. Otherwise you're basically not fighting until Medieval Era techs because of the scouting/exploration delay that teching Optics introduces. Less of an issue for someone like Denmark whose UU is a medieval unit... Ah well. Point is, not every civ is balanced for every map and time period, and at low levels, archers are enough. :p

10. Memoryjar

Memoryjar Emperor

If you had no many hills and jungle, I mean. If I have a center start, Terracota army help to build this second army to conquer map second side, without it's longer.
    Without below T100 is when I had a side start and bulldoze civ with 4 archers and warriors/scout.

11. Peets

Peets Emperor Hall of Fame Staff

I tried warriors only and failed.
    2 war and 2 arch seems a good idea.

I went for spearman - barrack and have turn 103.
    I had lots of nice bonus and made the spearman faster.

12. Xger

Xger Prince

Terracotta army will definitely not be worth the time.

13. Cromagnus

Cromagnus Deity

Terracotta will speed up a game that goes beyond t90 in some cases, but it won't help you win faster than that. You need a lot of techs and different unit types for it to really help. And only the mounted units will get to the fight in time normally. I used it in a continents plus map recently because everyone swims at the same speed, and I intentionally left a close opponent alive for last so my terracotta army wouldn't have far to travel... But for Pangaea with Shaka? Not so much point. Unless, as I mentioned, you save someone close for last, it doesn't help much, and even then, prior to having both ironworking and horseback riding it's only a break even, and for a break even it's better to choose your units.

14. Xger

Xger Prince

I suppose I should clarify that Terracotta Army will definitely not help win medals in this gauntlet.

15. Dracandross

Dracandross Warlord

Well 5 Bil is nobrainer but still that was worst ever mountainrange (3 wide hills with 2 square gap between mountains. It was real slowing 15 turns)

Uuf another real good run untill map killed it. Had last 2 enemies visible on T70 but. Other had had 15 square mountain range that was blocked from one way by city state and I had 1 square way to it. And getting by boats is too slow this late. Just uuf how much it is on the map and mountains even with 5 bil.

Btw Speamen rock the world with speed 3 with barracks. +Move, +ranged defence +attack +honor bonus is just superb

-D

16. casualplayer

casualplayer Warlord

Meh. Turn 119 first try. Alexander was out on a peninsula and I had to plow through a city-state and another of Alex's cities to get to him. The continent was designed like an ampersand. Too much walking.

I think I'm going to Great Library into Iron Working for Ikhanda Swordsmen again though. That 3 move is handy for covering ground. Just got to get the right dirt.

17. TyfoonTurk

TyfoonTurk Warlord

The fastest attempt (t60-65) will be as follows:

CITY: center start, settle on hill, production focus after pop 2
    BO: scout, scout, archers till infinity (with 2 warriors for army 2 and 3), buy archers with money
    SP: Honor for extra experience (insta-heals)
    TECH: archery (maybe optics for shortcuts and writing for embassies)

an army consists of 4 archers and 1 warrior (with some good luck you get two archers from those scouts), which leads your first army marching at t20. don't stop for healing (use insta-heals), keep marching.

Army 1 -> 3/4 civs
    Army 2 -> 2/3 civs
    Army 3 -> 1 civ

I really question the 5b/o world age setting, because I have the feeling it generates a lot of isthmus and a less oval-like pangaea. Normal (4 b/o) seems to be the best.

18. Cromagnus

Cromagnus Deity

I'm somewhat surprised there's so much more interest in the G-Minor than the G-Major. Is it really just because it's chieftain (easy mode) and Shaka panhaha (easier mode)?!

(Pangaea not panhaha but I loved the autocorrect fail so I'm calling it that from now on)

I would think more people would find the challenge and non traditional build order required by Gajah Large Islands to be more interesting, but it appears only 2 of us think so. /shrug

19. TyfoonTurk

TyfoonTurk Warlord

patience

20. casualplayer

casualplayer Warlord

I wonder if you could gain significant time by not planting your Settler until you are right next to someone or in-between two civs.