1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

G-Minor LXX

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Denniz, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Xger

Xger Prince

2. zenmaster

zenmaster King Supporter

Though not a gauntlet game, nice HOF game however!

3. zenmaster

zenmaster King Supporter

This in general was the template for my T65 effort, but the key for my game was chariot archers; Also, 5 billion years worked out fine for me with a nice round landmass. Here's how my game differed from Tyfoon Turk's template:

"CITY: center start, settle on hill, production focus after pop 2"

First 2, check! I let my city grow a bit more to 4 for tech/future production purposes before going all out production

"BO: scout, scout, archers till infinity (with 2 warriors for army 2 and 3), buy archers with money"

My build order: scout, scout, archer, archer, warrior, warrior, chariot archer until infinity (bought 1 archer and some chariot archers) Captured Tenochtitlan was good enough production and chopping to give me a monument and a warrior and an archer for my 3rd army. Used a Liberty free worker for capital and a captured worker for Tenochtitlan later.

"SP: Honor for extra experience (insta-heals)"

To get the worker to build the pasture for horses and chariot archer, liberty is a must. Can't depend on captured worker as usually the AI civs don't have workers up soon or are not close enough.
    My Social Policies: Liberty opener, Honor opener (need to do it before free worker to get culture from barbs to get to the free worker then rest of honor more quickly), Honor left side

"TECH: archery (maybe optics for shortcuts and writing for embassies)"

My tech: Archery, Animal Husbandry, Wheel, Mining, Bronze Working, Trapping, Pottery, Writing, Calendar... Didn't end up needing Bronze Working or Writing. Would have gone Horses if AI civs were super far away, but they weren't and I built early warriors and got a free one from a Military CS, so I went to Writing instead of Horseback Riding just in case I couldn't find the last capitals fast enough

"an army consists of 4 archers and 1 warrior (with some good luck you get two archers from those scouts), which leads your first army marching at t20. don't stop for healing (use insta-heals), keep marching.
    Army 1 -> 3/4 civs
    Army 2 -> 2/3 civs
    Army 3 -> 1 civ"

My first army was as this one, 4 archers and a warrior that was upgraded to spearman by hut. 1 archer was an upgraded scout, 1 was bought, 2 were built.
    This army got Tenochtitlan (which had 4 horses) early, climbed over a thin mountain pass to take a tough Cuzco with a long battle, and then luckily had a nearby easy Carthage to take out in the last turns.

My second army was 3 then 4 chariot archers. I had sent 2 warriors out to scout for and hang by two Ai civs, and used a scout for the first AI civ capital. so the Chariot archers could zip from conquest to conquest without waiting on warriors. This army took out 3 capitals with relatively clear terrain between them. A small bottleneck or two, and an annoying barb camp at one point, but the chariot archers were mobile.

My third army was a few chariot archers, a free warrior from a military CS and the built warrior/archer from Tenochtitlan. The last civ to take out was actually the closest, but was a hard target- Persepolis on a hill surrounded by jungle and water. Saved it for last, and was able to buy/build the chariot archers needed in the endgame. All 3 armies finished their battles on T 64 or 65.

----

Center start, no horribly hard to get at AI civs, and 4 horses near the capital were enough luck for mid-60's finish. Congrats to Klaskeren on his super time and Salomo's nice mid 60's run as well. Tyfoon Turk was pretty accurate in his estimate.

4. Salomo

Salomo Warlord

Thanks - and good idea to share the approach. I'm really impressed by how close the results are (except for Klaskeren) despite the different approaches.

My t64 finish was with spearmen and barracks. Essentially my first army was archers (as many as I could build before barracks - i think around 4) plus a warrior and took out 4 cities. My second army was spearmen upgraded through barracks and took out 2 cities. My third army took out the final city.

My start was center-top: 4 cities to the west and far south-west, one city to the direct south-west, and two cities south, then east. Not sure what world age I had, I think I took 4 bil years. I recall one annoying narrow passage along a mountain ridge and a second bottleneck, as well as a dead end blob of land, which luckily I did not invade.

As far as I recall two decisions saved my game:
    1) I annexed a couple of the first cities (I think two) and built, inter alia, one or two warriors there. Had I not done that, I might have failed on the last western city, which was quite well defended. I lost at least one warrior there and was very glad that I had more.

2) I sent my first army to the west, my second to the south and then east (couldn't directly go east due to water). This allowed these two armies to take out the cities farther away, while my third army was built and took out the nearby city I had at first ignored.

And now I'm curious to read about Klaskeren's strategy.

5. Cromagnus

Cromagnus Deity

I'm not surprised by how similar the results are. Klaskeren's run was an outlier: He got AH for free immediately, had *8* horses in the capital, spawned in the middle of the map, his nearest opponents all had flat-land capitals, he had a nice set of CS to bully, etc. etc. etc, and had no bottlenecks, convenient terrain for the most part, etc.

He ran the map really well, but he got very lucky with the above. I do think Chariot Archers are the key to a fast win, but that relies on terrain and luck with your start. Spearmen/barracks isn't a weak play, because they get 3 moves, and go through rough terrain faster than Chariot Archers... IMHO.

6. klaskeren

klaskeren Prince

Indeed i got a good start! though i was not entirely in the middle of the pangaea, still kinda close to the middle. Watch the video for the strat:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=521138

7. Cromagnus

Cromagnus Deity

Great video, thanks for posting it btw.

8. klaskeren

klaskeren Prince

9. zenmaster

zenmaster King Supporter

Very nice to accomplish that with an army of spearmen! My first efforts were with the ikanda and spearman but even with a decent map I couldn't get any traction to finish much before turn 80. After playing chariot archers one game, I looked for them in my last couple tries and gave up on the spearmen approach. You were the true Zulu in this gauntlet, with the spearmen running wild!

10. Denniz

Denniz Where's my breakfast? Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Sorry, I must have clicked on the wrong one and didn't notice. Corrected above.

G-Minor LXX - Domination, Chieftain, Standard, Pangaea, Standard, Zulu (Shaka) (check options)
    1st klaskeren - 1760 BC T-56
    2nd Salomo - 1440 BC T-64
    3rd zenmaster - 1400 BC T-65

11. Salomo

Salomo Warlord

Great game - and thanks for the video!

I learned a couple of things from it, now I just have to remember them until the next game like this.