1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

G-Minor LXXII

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Peets, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Salomo

Salomo Warlord

So you start with trad and build four settlers early?

Wouldn't your build order basically have to be Pathfinder, Pathfinder, Settler, Settler, Settler, GL then?

Indeed, a good strat at Warlord difficulty might be to delay GL and ultimately grab something better than Philo with it. But it seems that is not what you're doing?

2. klaskeren

klaskeren Prince

3 settlers

my build up is something like pathfinder, pathfinder, worker, settler, chariot, settler, settler, chariot, chariot, GL

3. Memoryjar

Memoryjar Emperor

I wonder if someone is able to reach Information era from PP in 30 turns ? I can't.
    2 world congress turn seems to be need.
    An other issue is gold, I don't have enough gold 30 turns after PP, specially if I rush-buy labs. So I can't ally enough CSto win world leader election, if in a way I find how to reach Information age in 30turns from PP.

Another question is how many turns between two turns. It seems to be 30 for first as you reach PP. Then 20 turns if you enter in modern era ? So in this way you need to reach information era in 50 turns. With PP T140-150 it makes a peaceful victory around T200-210.

Information age T205/210 seems a medium range with 4 mountain cities, I just have a pain with culture. Word fair is late cause you have to build it alone. So I have to choose between worker's faculties and ending rationalism.
    1 300 bpt is enough or 1 500 (my current pass mark) is need ? 1 300 needs less pop so I could manage money.

And oxford for navigation or for plastics ?

4. Cromagnus

Cromagnus Deity

I don't think it's possible unless you delay printing press as long as possible, in order to get more population and GS, which would just delay victory. Even then it may not be possible. War wins this map.

5. Memoryjar

Memoryjar Emperor

I'm a crap in dom. :D I made a worst score than peaceful.

6. Memoryjar

Memoryjar Emperor

Which are wealthy civs ? I spawned next to Portugal and Netherlands in current game (where I repent to have settle this 5th city). It's amazing how I can have gold with them (fairly near as all AI on Immortal and Deity). Despite I have happiness problems, I think I can beat my actual best mark. So with a little more serious play...

I'm thinking about a peaceful game with Portugal, Netherlands, India, maybe Siam, etc. Is there another civs with such early gold ?

7. zenmaster

zenmaster King Supporter

Arabia and Persia come to mind.

8. dinanipedro

dinanipedro highlander

askia for gold

9. Memoryjar

Memoryjar Emperor

Thanks you two. I forgot Askia.

First try, of course (Murphy's law), I have very few resources (no horses, only one lux in double).
    But, something is possible, I think.

10. zenmaster

zenmaster King Supporter

The thing is, it's not just 3 techs from atomic to information era. It's 4 techs, but more importantly that's assuming that you DON'T follow the Plastics path. If you follow the Plastics path it's like 8-12 more techs instead of 4. So pick your poison-- try to get 4 late techs quick without Research Labs or get those 8-12 extra techs in ASAP. Problem is that trying to do this relatively early (pre-200) means you won't have many Shoshone great scientists to pop unless you have some excellent mojo going. It's tough enough to get to the Atomic Era so quickly even with every science trick up your sleeve; having more tricks to get to the Info Era so fast seems really tough. I think your raw science has to totally rock from the get-go to have a chance of pulling it off.

11. Cromagnus

Cromagnus Deity

Yeah, even if your science is kicking ass it's tough to hit the atomic in 32 turns from PP. Info in 34 is basically impossible. However, info in 66 is not so crazy. But, to beat the timing on a warlike approach, you'd have to research PP 34 turns earlier. It takes about 50 turns to win after you research PP. So, if you hit PP on t150, you win on roughly 200. To beat that with a peaceful victory, you'd have to get printing press on t116, which is tough if you go for education first. You'd have to get education on like t90, which is a lot easier for Maya or Babylon. It's possible, but then, if your science is that good you could just research PP on t130, go warlike and win on t180... It's theoretically impossible to win earlier going peaceful if you're having a good science game in both cases. RAs on warlord are worthless, and happiness is a non-issue, so conquest just makes more sense. But, if you can achieve sub-t200 science victory and struggle with domination, certainly your best bet is peaceful.

12. Thorak

Thorak Warlord

Heh, my first game ever on warlord I finished and my first participate in a gauntlet. Finished at turn 214, but I feel that if I had postponed PP a bit more it should be possible to finish quicker as explained above as I just waited for like 30 turns to win. If I had postponed PP by 20 turns I could probably have finished sub t200.

Diplomacy and low difficulty is not that entertaining for me though so I think I'll stay at the higher difficulties in the future.

13. Memoryjar

Memoryjar Emperor

214 peacefull ?

14. Thorak

Thorak Warlord

No, I killed every civ except one. Considering how easy it is to actually take AI-cities on warlord I see no reason to play peacefully. Especially since every AI was at a constant negative GPT which meant there were no trade opportunities either, I really can see no reason to stay peaceful.

15. Memoryjar

Memoryjar Emperor

I think sub T210 peacefull is possible. There's trade opportunities if you don't clear the map. If you do, you make an highway for barbs.

Edit : Last try, T227. I miss industrial era for 4 turns so I had a second 30 turns WC instead of 25. And I never bulb or Oxford Astronomy so I lose 9 turns and one policy instead of Rationalism. PP around T135 and another 3 to 5 turns to find India, cause I forgot to look after, thniking I met all civs.
    4 cities / Lib-trad. A better player like you can make sub T210 peacefull. Maybe with 5 or 6 cities, but it's over for this gauntlet to try again (cause I'm not at home, I won't end my current try with wealthy civs, where I kick off Morrocco and Arabia for their desert start bias).
    Definitely it can't beat a really good warmonger player, but peacefull is less random, in my opinion.

16. Cromagnus

Cromagnus Deity

Warlike isn't random IMHO. I made two attempts at this, both played out the same way. T200 on first try (t100 education), T194 on second try despite t109 education. I got better but still left many turns on the table by slow warmongering. Point is, for me it was very consistent. I believe T180 warlike is possible. Maybe t175. It takes 47 turns after printing press to win unless you jump two or three eras in one turn. Three is possible if you kill off your last target in the same turn you bulb from industrial to atomic, but I consider *that* to be too risky. So let's call it 46. T130 PP -> t176 victory. This would require an excellent game but if I had time for another attempt I think I could get down to at least t185.

This was the most fun map for me in a couple of months. Some people found it too easy I guess, but pushing the pace as hard as I was, I found it exciting and challenging.

17. crocivfanatic

crocivfanatic Warlord

I barely got win on turn 320.Did you started to attack on start already?And there was one strange thing which i am not sure did i missed something or bug in question - how much i know,less civs = less votes required to win diplomatic victory,but despise fact how i killed half civs and one cs,it was always needed 42 votes to win.Or maybe you need to kill all civs beside last one to get less votes requirement?

18. Cromagnus

Cromagnus Deity

Actually, I didn't start the warpath until like t90 because my first two cities didn't have horses. It was a very non-ideal start for chariot archer rush, but I had a great DF/Petra start, so I didn't want to start over. Tons of faith and production in the mid-game allowed me to get 3 GS from faith and pump out a second army without slowing down my science. But, because I was at war the entire game I couldn't get the +15% growth and couldn't put my army on barb quest duty, which really slowed things down. Basically for an optimal game you need a horse start and do what klaskeren did, settlers + chariot archers early. IMHO.

19. Cromagnus

Cromagnus Deity

Also. It's 43 votes unless a CS dies. 42 means one got ate. ;-)

20. Memoryjar

Memoryjar Emperor

T 257 in my first and only try. Great wall is my main issue, specially in a civ in the forest part.
    An answer is maybe building GW.

Croc : It's warlord. Archer and crossbow rule the map. At T200 highest city have only 25 defense.