1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

G-Minor LXXII

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Peets, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Cromagnus

Cromagnus Deity

The map layout is basically the same every time, and you don't have to kill every civ. I gifted a few capitals to one of the forest civs, and made sure the other one never built GW. (By repeatedly dowing him and accepting cities in peace deals, leaving him with only one city, slowing his tech and not giving him time to focus on that. He never built much)

Also, I started in the mountains and ignored the other mountain civ, gifting him cities. Problem solved. :)

I did have to deal with GW in my first game if I recall. The secret is to get #1 in military fast and then DoW everyone. Even the civs you're nowhere near will give you cities in peace deals, so that by the time you have to deal with them, they have only one, and their tech rate will be terrible. ;)

2. crocivfanatic

crocivfanatic Warlord

Well just tried game with starting war from beginning,made GL,TA and then 4 composite bowmans.Was taking civs one by one,till i realized how taking them doesn't affect WL votes at all lol.On turn 312 i got almost every city invaded by barbarians as i left only venice.Also i changed my autosave configuration to be compliant with HOF rules,and for some reason it crashed on turn 312,when i load it crash again,crash even when loaded from turn 311.
    In shortly key is to attack cs states in diplomacy games right ?

3. zenmaster

zenmaster King Supporter

Actually, taking all the civs but 1 or 2 is necessary if you want to get a World Leader vote i the Atomic Age, not the Information Age.

Also, having all or almost all CS as your allies is infinitely better than attacking them-- They give you stuff (food/happiness/faith/units) and you don't have to waste precious time attacking them.

4. klaskeren

klaskeren Prince

Well i was not that pleased with my final result, turn 190 - warmode, but i guess i cant complain too much :)

i entered atomic era with all civs taken out 13 turns early of the vote, so could very easily have been faster, but i was just not sure when to tech PP.

TBH it was more satisfying playing my peaceful game, which ended on turn 202, but was not enough to beat cromagnus apparently, was actually surprised to be 2nd after quite early submit of t202, from that point it was kinda clear that war was the way to go.

in my t190 game i was warring with some chariots, 1 CB, and few pathfinders for the majority of the game, did a final push with 1 trebuchet and some Xbows for the kill, cus venice annexed a CS which had pretty high strength.

Was a relatively fun gauntlet, though it was kinda mandatory to start on the western side of the map, with dessert mountains, though did quite a bit of rerolling to get a western start with horses in the capitol, that was probably the most boring part of it, cus for my strat, which was teching and chariot rush, i really needed mountain and horses.

thx, and see you in the next one! :)

5. zenmaster

zenmaster King Supporter

I will echo these sentiments exactly. The beauty of this gauntlet is that the Great Plains Plus Map makes things "predictable" to a much larger degree than other maps.
    Want to try a Great Plains wheat/horse heavy capital? Go for it. Easily gettable within 1 or 2 map rolls. Want mountains? OK, know where those are and a few map rolls at most will get it. And the Shoshone are fun. Pathfinders and expansive settling on a large map are cool. The Pathfinder ability lets you pick your own hut strategy also which is fun. Can use huts to augment faith and/or culture and/or growth and/or gold and/or military!! Also, diplomacy victory condition meant that optimally, you try to juggle science/conquest/diplomacy all at once. An excellent challenge, even on a lowish difficulty setting. Kudos to the gauntlet designer!

I got in a sub-200 turn finish, and my game was a mirror of CroMagnus' effort. Left 5-10 turns on the table by delaying Printing Press by 1-2 techs, as I didn't think my crossbow/trebuchet armies could kill the civs off fast enough. Turns out, I was wrong. I had forgot until mid-conquest that you need to kill off the whole civ, not just the capital (Too many domination games lately?) so I had to backtrack to finish off a couple civs I'd left earlier. Even doing that, my conquest went faster than I thought.

Was going to start cranking out settlers in the early game but saw in my build queue that Great Library was buildable in 8 turns! Thought "That's a sign" and went 1 city GL and NC before expanding to 4 cities. Didn't start conquering until crossbows. Got military CS as friends and allies very early, so accumulated 3 catapults and 2 Chinese chokonu (!) as gifts. Had stuck the catapults in cities as garrisons, but had good cashflow, so thought I'd upgrade them to Trebuchets and give them a try on the nearby AI capitals. Incredibly effective. Slow, but if you use them on the neighboring AI's, speed is not an issue. 2 trebuchets reduced most cities in 1 turn once they were set up.

I too enjoyed this gauntlet a lot; one of the best BNW gauntlets so far!

6. zenmaster

zenmaster King Supporter

Congratulations on your probable win! Nicely done with the horse armies. My effort was 197; like you, I felt I could have been 5-15 turns faster if I'd done Printing Press earlier, as my conquest was also much faster than I thought. Better safe than sorry, I guess. Playing 180 involved turns and finding your conquest was 1 turn too slow, making you wait for another leader vote, would not be a good feeling :).

7. Cromagnus

Cromagnus Deity

Yep. That's what delayed my victory. I held off on teching printing press until t146 because I was afraid of missing the atomic Era deadline, but I hit the atomic era with oxford and a GS still in my pocket, meaning I could have bulbed printing press on t138 or so and still made the deadline. And given that I didn't tech education until 109, in a more efficient game, with earlier domination, I figure t175 is possible. I agree, playing with the huts and consistent map layout made this a fun challenge. I didn't even get a lot of huts in my last game, but it's fun to strategize with them. I chose CB upgrade whenever possible so my exploring part finders could clear camps.

8. Denniz

Denniz Where's my breakfast? Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Results:

G-Minor LXXII - Diplomacy, Warlord, Large, Great Plains Plus, Standard, Shoshone (Pocatello)
    1st klaskeren - 1300 AD T-190
    2nd Cromagnus -1340 AD T-194
    3rd zenmaster - 1360 AD 196

Congratulations!

9. Peets

Peets Emperor Hall of Fame Staff

I put some time in creating them so I'm glad you guys enjoy them.