1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

G-Minor LXXX

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Peets, Jun 30, 2014.

1. glory7

glory7 King

nice job!

I just cannot count how many petra-upgraded tiles there (like 20?). This is one of the best map I've ever seen.

Did you choose 10% growth pantheon?

2. glory7

glory7 King

@Memoryjar

oh and if you don't mind, can you post initial file? I'd love to give it a try.

(I think I need to reroll at least 500 times to get such a starting position.)

3. Memoryjar

Memoryjar Emperor

Here you are.

With rainfall «wet», you just have to reroll 4 or 5 times to have such spot. But, yes, when I rolled it I said to myself : «wow, look like a Klaskeren start» (a map he rolled in a previous science gauntlet).

Some pathway as you. Except, maybe, divine inspiration and as much possible wonder as I can before plastics.

Thank you again, I learned a much on this gauntlet with your knowledge sharing.

Attached Files:

4. dcruze75

dcruze75 Chieftain

Nuts, I'm doing like 10-20 rerolls without mountains, consistently on 3 billion years. Haven't tried "wet", since it seems counter-intuitive to getting a desert start. I have 3 billion years, arid and I checked ignore start bias.

Usually no dice.

5. dcruze75

dcruze75 Chieftain

That's why I wish there was a legal "Reseed!" or similar for use with the Gauntlets, rerolling takes forever...

6. glory7

glory7 King

@Memoryjar

Played your file: t258. pop was 62 (63 next turn).

religion: DF (got free pantheon very early thx to 2 religious CS), tithe+15% growth, religious community and itinerant preacher.

faith bought 1000-1500-2500-4000 GS. Had 6000 faith at t258, but that additional GS was not needed.

As you suggested, went for hospital and penicillin first. I even went telecom early to rush CN tower.

I think I got 20+ ruins - two upgraded scouts and one rush-bought archer did a great job at doing barb quest. At this difficulty level, barb quests are literally everywhere. and lots of culture CS around... I think I got tradition done before t60.

went 1000+ spt at t227 (pop 57). 1008 = 826.1 from cap, 31 from trade routes, 65.55 from city states, 85.71 from rati opener.

AIs stole sooo many techs that some of them actually went modern era pretty fast (on the other hand, civs that did not send spy to me were at medieval or renaissance). It was helpful to reduce RA costs. I RAed with 3 civs. (each RA saved, say 1-2 turn)

some milestones: t167 plastics with rati finisher, t141 freedom and new deal with GW (planted 4 GS). t95 astro. t100 spt was 211 with secularism and obs up (25 pop).

7. dcruze75

dcruze75 Chieftain

Great work, btw... Don't mean to sound sour because I can't get a decent start... Just frustrating having to reroll so many times to get a mountain. :)

8. TLHeart

TLHeart King

@Memoryjar

Thanks for the file.

Played it, and enjoyed it...

Went DF Parthenon, tithe, +15% growth, 2 faith per world wonder, internet preachers....

Finished tradition turn 64, Astronomy on turn 102, Plastics, 195. Paris was at 42 pop.

Went into patronage, to secularism for the science from city states... allying them was easy.

Then straight into rat, finished using the free tech for radio...

Took Freedom....

Planted 4 GS's, as they spawned.

saved my faith, and bought 4 GS, and 1 GE for hubble, then bulbed 6 GS's
    Got another GS from the liberty finisher, Finished ISS on turn 290, and launched on turn 295.

Max science was 890.

9. Memoryjar

Memoryjar Emperor

This what I have to learn. I was only able to have DoF with Genghis early and Harald after he took Freedom. After ideologies a RA is 3turns. I was only able to sign two.

How do you manage your diplomacy ? AI seem neutral even if I liberate theirs civilians, send caravans or trade with them. Do you give them cash ? If yes how much ?

10. dcruze75

dcruze75 Chieftain

Turn 368. I had to move my settler to get to a mountain. No river.

I was friends with Polynesia and Venice throughout the game. After I defeated some barbarians that had taken Ethiopia's missionaries captive he befriended me as well. Polynesia turned hostile towards me at the end since he picked Order and I had Freedom.

Guess I'll be happy with that, even though it'll be nowhere near a medal. My first try I didn't even make the 500 turn deadline :)

-d

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Attached Files:

11. crocivfanatic

crocivfanatic Warlord

I got perfect map,but despise that,i again get astronomy on turn 125,yet on non perfect map i got it on turn 114.It have 4 +3 tiles on start,desert full of hills(petra boost those very nice) but still is not just going.
    So here i uploading map and screenshot,so if someone could try and tell me what do i miss :)

Attached Files:

12. Bleidraner

Bleidraner King

Not a bad starting position, moved settler into desert for a Petra start, 2-3 moves I think. Got to a place with a decent river, desert and a mountain. Also, 4 different lux next to each other and next to my city, first time I have seen this! No duplicated luxuries though in the three rings.

Starting position not as good as Memoryjar, as I had some tundra tiles and stuff. I kind of wandered through the tech tree instead of truly be lining for optimum result, so got a late astro, turn 130 or so I think, and I knew then it was not a going to be a great result. But held on and t340, not great, but good for my first OCC. Poor max science, 798, and 45 pop not great either.

I did not time right my faith scientists pops, got impatient and popped them way too early To finish, I had to pop a lot of extra scientists, even using the 8500 faith scientist and the ISS scientist, managed to finish the project in first place just 2 turns before the win, first time ever I had that wonder.

As mostly everybody else, I had to avoid culture victory by selling the airport and denying open borders to Cathy, and diplo by abstaining in the work leader votes.

This was a good map, deserved a better player.:lol: Had to reroll many many times as I could not get a desert with mountain and river. Finally did by disabling start bias, choosing 3 billion years and wet as per Memoryjar advice, 15-20 retools, thank you Memoryjar! And Glory7 for the great advice.:goodjob:

May try again if I get a good map. Great learning experience but not really keen on OCC. Apologies for lack of screenshots I don't know how to take them in the Mac, I'll upload the files in HOF.

13. dcruze75

dcruze75 Chieftain

How do you get astronomy so fast, is it better to build library before Great Library since it saves on turns?

14. glory7

glory7 King

I seldom give free cash (only exception I can think of is I have tons of cash nowhere to spend and do RA to save 1-3 turns, exactly this low level OCC case).

Luck is an important factor for DoFs. same religion, giving a good deal, proposal like world's fair helps, but not guaranteed.

15. glory7

glory7 King

for this difficulty, no for sure. waste of hammers (and turns)

make sure you get at least 2 scouts to start and build/rush buy archers. You can get tons of ruins, and you can do lots of barb quests with archers (and defend yourself). Also, meeting lots of civs and CS early is very important.

16. Memoryjar

Memoryjar Emperor

Growth. I had a cap something like pop 20 T100. And Oxford university since compass to Astro helps a lot.
    Good dirt, HG and maritime CS are need to make such start.

17. Denniz

Denniz Where's my breakfast? Retired Moderator

Results:

G-Minor LXXX - Science, Prince, Standard, Tilted Axis, Standard, France (Napoleon) (check options)
    1st Memoryjar - 1816 AD T-278
    2nd glory7 - 1858 AD T-299
    3rd morganknight - 1894 AD T-317

Congratulations!

18. Thunda

Thunda Chieftain

I would like to play your save but it says I'm missing
    some DLC...I'm pretty sure I have everything except the map packs...is that what I'm missing?

19. Thunda

Thunda Chieftain

croc this is the wrong initial save :(

20. Memoryjar

Memoryjar Emperor

Yes, it is. Sorry, you need map packs. :(