G-Minor LXXXIII

Peets

Emperor
Hall of Fame Staff
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:
  • Expansion: Brave New World
  • Victory Condition: Domination (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: King
  • Map Size: Large
  • Map Type: Lakes
  • Speed: Standard
  • Leader: Russia (Catherine)
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: SV8
  • Date: 16th August to 1st September 2014
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Silly questions (noob to gauntlets).

Can we change the temperature, rainfall and bodies of water ?

Not really a good domination player, but I'll give it a starting point and see where it goes from there

Won on turn 320. Built 3 tall cities (and claimed a few AI capitals I took, most were puppeted), but a few challenges I ran into, mostly through my selection (or mis-selection) of AI opponents. England was able to build the great wall in mine, and it had an army of longbows. That shredded through my trebs and musketmen I had at that time pretty hard. Also, I tried hitting denmark with composites and swordsmen, but they had zerkers, and that one I "lost" (although I took a peace deal that gave me a city)

Ended up cleaning up with Cossacks and Artillery. Definitely interested in seeing some veterans to improve my domination strategies.

Spoiler :

Not really a good domination player, but I'll give it a starting point and see where it goes from there

Won on turn 320. Built 3 tall cities (and claimed a few AI capitals I took, most were puppeted), but a few challenges I ran into, mostly through my selection (or mis-selection) of AI opponents. England was able to build the great wall in mine, and it had an army of longbows. That shredded through my trebs and musketmen I had at that time pretty hard. Also, I tried hitting denmark with composites and swordsmen, but they had zerkers, and that one I "lost" (although I took a peace deal that gave me a city)

Ended up cleaning up with Cossacks and Artillery. Definitely interested in seeing some veterans to improve my domination strategies.

Spoiler :

I'd expect fastest finishes to be in the T110 region winning with Composite bowmen or chariots.

Edit: Noticed it's large size sorry so maybe 130-140.

I'd love to see how they can go that fast, especially on king and large lakes without a UU or some other advantage. I would have bet best wins around T190-200

I'd expect fastest finishes to be in the T110 region winning with Composite bowmen or chariots.

Edit: Noticed it's large size sorry so maybe 130-140.

Acken you are depressing me. I want to compete on this one but I won't be able to do faster than 160-170 based on my prpgress in the GMajor.

That's just an estimate. 160-170 may be good too.

It's just that if it's possible to do 160 on Deity standard, I'd expect 160 on King Large to be at least possible. And lakes is easier than Pangea.
Also people have finished the current Gotm Prince standard lakes in 108 turns (for best).

Grab a salt starts, research AH first, settle 2 cities near horses and spam units.

For map pick, arid, 5billion, hot and pick carebears AI that like tradition.

Well looks like acken is right - i almost finished on turn 160,even sooner ,but what suppose to be end game suddenly turned into bad luck.I was siegeing last remain 2 capitols and somehow they managed to kill all my units with very little city health left,i just dont know how lol.I guess this happened due tiredness and too soon joy,i guess it is not over till is over lol.But i dont know will i get start nice as this one again,all civs were very close,forest only on mid,and natural wonder cero potosi close to me which gave fat sack of gold supply before i started to build tons of army.
Also i think i found one "bug".First opponent civ was portugal,so i took capitol and second city(had to annex it due horses resources)and third city was taken by attila.So i dowed attila and liberated portugal city,and despise being on constant war path even killing entire civs nobody ever dowed me compared to previous games where they were basically competing to dow me lol.So liberating is not just good to stop dow you get also get permament ally with which you can trade all the time.And also,i think i was wasting unnecessary turns by capturing and razing non capitol cities,since i had this "anti dow" status.

Gosh this is depressing :( hahaha I will finish mine sometime soon but I think ill start again, too much jungle and mountains and got a little complicated haha too spreaded army and i'm running out of money and some bad peace treaty choices.

Gosh this is depressing :( hahaha I will finish mine sometime soon but I think ill start again, too much jungle and mountains and got a little complicated haha too spreaded army and i'm running out of money and some bad peace treaty choices.

Do following map settings: 5 billion of years ( for flat land)
Hot(for desert,desert good for faith generation)
Arid(for no forest)
and finally highseas(less space to walk)

Current try, maybe a T180 victory. I forgot Great Wall and let an AI build it. A waste, as I spent a GE for NC. And NC is useless.

You can grab 2/3 caps with chariots archers (issue is melee units to take the city, so Horsemen are quickly needed), 2/3 with CB and during this time you'll hit Machinery to end last civs, if you have caps over 30 strength.

Two things slow down you :
- lost your last melee/mounted units. So no way to conquer.
- Great wall. Last caps to conquer in my opinion, because you'll lost some units, enough to be freeze in your runaway.

Current try, maybe a T180 victory. I forgot Great Wall and let an AI build it. A waste, as I spent a GE for NC. And NC is useless.

You can grab 2/3 caps with chariots archers (issue is melee units to take the city, so Horsemen are quickly needed), 2/3 with CB and during this time you'll hit Machinery to end last civs, if you have caps over 30 strength.

Two things slow down you :
- lost your last melee/mounted units. So no way to conquer.
- Great wall. Last caps to conquer in my opinion, because you'll lost some units, enough to be freeze in your runaway.

Great wall indeed slowing down,but it also takes 20 turn to build one which can be spent to make 4 chariot archers instead.But if you attack with chariot archers not a problem unless is problematic position,capitol surrounded with forest or with hills.
Also,my first attack wawe was with warriors and not horseman,it is not problem as first civs are close plus it takes time do destroy city health. Another thing which helps,is to put your capitol right on luxury resource,so you can trade second resource right away for horses and build chariot archers faster.

t90 is possible, since CB is enough for King

you need three armies

army 1: 2 non-hill caps (archers), 2-3 hill caps (CB)
army 2: 1 non hill cap (archers), 2-3 hill caps (CB)
army 3: nearest hill cap (CB)

t90 is possible, since CB is enough for King

you need three armies

army 1: 2 non-hill caps (archers), 2-3 hill caps (CB)
army 2: 1 non hill cap (archers), 2-3 hill caps (CB)
army 3: nearest hill cap (CB)

t90?Not sure about that,simply because this map always have one part covered by forest/jungle which slow it down.But i could try for fun and kicks if nothing else.

settings arid for less forest/jungles and small lakes for easy accessible caps

I do have arid tho i set high seas to have less land mass.You think small lakes is better anyway?
Also not sure can i direct army just like that to 2 non hill capitols and then to hill capitols with army 1,i mean it depend who is nearest.

it all depends on choosing the easiest and best navigation for your armies. generally one army goes east and one goes west, but it all depends on good scouting and planning.

it all depends on choosing the easiest and best navigation for your armies. generally one army goes east and one goes west, but it all depends on good scouting and planning.

Yeah third army could go to mid.But still i dont see how did you got turn 90,i barely get 2 capitols by then.And i attack with archers immediately.
Unless you go straight to archers research,by ignoring pottery and animal husbandry

Tried twice with composite bow strategy but they seems to be just too slow.Turn 146,4 capitols remained compared to game with horse archers where i had 2 capitols left and they were under siege while here i even didn't reached them.Also it seems liberation trick works only if you liberate completely destroyed civ,if you liberate just city seems that is like liberating worker,in shortly no visible effect.

Top Bottom