G-Minor XXII

Denniz

Where's my breakfast?
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:

• Victory Condition: Science (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: Warlord
  • Map Size: Small
  • Map Type: Inland Sea
  • Speed: Quick
  • Leader: Arabia (Harun al-Rashid)
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: SV8 (1.0.1.511)
  • Date: 1st to 15th February 2012
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker

I like this. Well i like every quick speed games. Low sea level imo.

I like this. Well i like every quick speed games. Low sea level imo.

i think inland sea doesn't have sea level option. low sea level is a bad choice for harun anyway, it lowers the density of luxuries.

Given it a couple tries myself, and each time the AI seemed to be really lacking in gold for RAs.

Is it going to be more practical to just buy up maritime CSs and try to grow my cities as fast as possible?

I don't know what are the perfect settings, but we need to get a map with enough rivers around each AI civs to let them produce enough :c5gold: during the game. Maybe some civs with low unit prob and nice :c5gold: buildings like China for example.

I don't know what are the perfect settings, but we need to get a map with enough rivers around each AI civs to let them produce enough :c5gold: during the game. Maybe some civs with low unit prob and nice :c5gold: buildings like China for example.

Good point. Egypt comes to mind as well. I'm nowhere near the level of skill as some of you, but I am quite proud of an unofficial 194 turn win.

If nothing else, it helps me practice strats to get better at King difficulty (which is my default difficulty).

generally the amount of gold civs are getting is tied pretty well to how many cities they have... china doesn't expand enough for that.
persia might be a good choice - the longer GAs do add significant gold.

overall you'll need to rely on your own gold production.

Turn 200 on first try.. i was swimming in money, also almost ran out of space for academies. Went Rationalism super late - meaning.. i got freedom first.. what was i thinking...well nothing actually.. i just pressed next next next :))

How many cities do you build in this sort of challenge?

Do you settle as many as happiness allows?
As many as can capture new luxuries?
Or is it enough to go with 3-4ish and not bother to build more?

I just played through the major gauntlet founding 4 additional cities other than the captial which was at limit of happiness. However, I guess I coulda settled more medicore citites around turn 100 and onwards. Not sure what is best here
Edit: also, the AI got negative modifiers on me for settling to many cities which can be an issuse with trading and unwanted incoming wars.

179 turns on my 2nd attempt....

Do you really build academies with your GS? I saved them, and UO and Scientific Revoulition to chain bulb the last 6 technologies I needed.

I am just wondering how I could get any faster, except of catching the GL next time....

at warlord difficulty you can build more cities than normal. i imagine optimal number might be 5 or 6

How many cities do you build in this sort of challenge?

Do you settle as many as happiness allows?
As many as can capture new luxuries?
Or is it enough to go with 3-4ish and not bother to build more?

I just played through the major gauntlet founding 4 additional cities other than the captial which was at limit of happiness. However, I guess I coulda settled more medicore citites around turn 100 and onwards. Not sure what is best here
Edit: also, the AI got negative modifiers on me for settling to many cities which can be an issuse with trading and unwanted incoming wars.

The more the merrier, in this case it was a problem of finding the space, everything was crammed in so i only went 2 cities size 30+ and had +30 happiness to boot. Of course there's also that modifier you mentioned...
I actually thought about wiping a Civ out so i could go 4-5 cities.
I'll try another one for sure with more cities - the problem is finding decent prod spots.

It seems like building lots of citites really piss the AI off...

When I built 5 cities that were not even super early I got alot of DoWs from AI which interrupted my RA. (even though they were not close to AI territory)

Turn 166, with 5 cities. Unfortunately I only got 2 maritime CSs, so I didn't have the growth that could've brought this down quite a few turns. I also got invaded by my nice neighbor Greece in the early Middle Ages, cancelling my 2nd RA with them and causing me to have to build military for 10 turns or so instead of science/pop.

Had a 210 OCC last night, too. Fun challenge.

Turn 137 attempt. I went 2 cities NC then 3 more. A useless 6th one much later for aluminium.

Some tips found :

-wet setting is nice for rivers
-try to start in a corner

Spoiler :

I got some more questions:

-I am allowed to choose which AI civs I play against, right?
-Can the Apollo program be hurried up by a GE?
-Is there any way to prevent a civ to DoW you, even if they are friendly with you and
much weaker? In my last attempt (167 turns) France did this like three times which cost
me a couple of turns.

I got some more questions:

-I am allowed to choose which AI civs I play against, right?
-Can the Apollo program be hurried up by a GE?
-Is there any way to prevent a civ to DoW you, even if they are friendly with you and
much weaker? In my last attempt (167 turns) France did this like three times which cost
me a couple of turns.

- yes, any one you want if it isn't specified.
- no
- no idea

I also got a question, is it better to rush to nano or go to research lab first. The only idea i have about this is if i have a lot of RA's & GS's stacked up for the end, i won't need the detour.

Top Bottom