1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

G-Minor XXII

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Denniz, Feb 1, 2012.

1. vexing

vexing knows

wu loves occ. after gandhi, she's the least likely to expand.
    nap can definitely be troublesome as a neighbor. same with genghis. fortunately that can be planned for...

2. FeiLing

FeiLing Chieftain

How to prevent them for being how they are?^^
    All I can think of is maybe is force/buy them to have war against someone else... never tried that :D

Napoleon however is a nuisance anyway (especially on such a small map) due to his rapid tile claiming. I'd at least definitely restart if he happens to be my neighbor.

3. Lord_Bubu

Lord_Bubu Chieftain

Just managed to finish one more try in time :)

Finished in 156 turns. I tried a strategy on my own.... went with 8 cities.

It wasn't easy to get freedom and the left side of rationalism in time, but I manged to do so. What I found strange was that the AI never declared war on me (except Washington in turn 132) and all I had was a scout and a warrior (which was upgraded whenever possible). So either this is complete(!) random or the AI was "scared off" because I was so advanced and had many cities (Ramses and Darius even were 100% friendly till the end, i.e. 200g/lux and 50/open borders). I hope that it is the latter, cause otherwise it would be complete luck, how cooperative your opponents are, which imho wouldn't be that great for a strategy game.

By the way, thanks vexing for your RA article. :) I should have read that earlier :blush: So this time i could manage to get more out of my RA's.

Also I learned I lot about the game mechanics by playing that gauntlet. Going to try the major one now.
    Still need to get better at managing cities. Took me really long to plan the last turns, i.e. build which space ship parts in which cities, but I am sure I sill lost 2,3 turns there. :crazyeye:

4. Denniz

Denniz Where's my breakfast? Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Results:

G-Minor XXII - Science, Warlord, Small, Inland Sea, Quick, Arabia (Harun al-Rashid)
    1st khrax - 1280 AD T-124
    2nd morrg - 1320 AD T-126
    3rd vexing - 1420 AD T-132

Congratulations!

5. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Pô Chi Min

The CiV brothers strike again! :goodjob:

Below 130 turns is just...insane.

6. Khrax

Khrax Chieftain

:)
    I had a very nice area in the south east corner with some city states as buffers. Built 3 settlers before Great Library, so that I reached library in all cities before National College. I had plenty of food and hammers in all cities.

In a quick game you only reach 3 waves. It is important to start as early as possible, but not so early that you don't reach education as median. You don't have time for mathematics beeline, so if you want Hanging Gardens you must build it later in the game. It is important to only build the most relevant wonders, for the game is so short, and you don't reach all of them. Hagia and Porcelain Tower are top priority. Notre Dame, Chicken Itza and the Oracle are also very good. Hanging Gardens, the Pyramids, Angkor Wat and Stonehenge are not that important. They are nice, but there are many important buildings to build. Of course you need lots of food in the capital, but you can get that without Hanging Gardens.

It is important to finish Porcelain Tower before second wave. It is also important to get as many scientists as possible. You should not choose any engineers. I had 10 scientists at the end of the game. Liberty, Hagia, Porcelain Tower and 7 from cities.

You also need at least one early cultural ally. Two is even better. I had two cultural and one maritime going early in the game. I reached 16 policies. Starter+ wonder production in tradition, all liberty tree, starter + food in freedom and the left four in rationalism.

My game went very well, and I timed the RAs quite well. I think I could have shaved one turn, but not more. Sub 120 is almost impossible, I think.

7. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Pô Chi Min

Thanks for the infos khrax :)

Yep, the key is definitively going with 4 cities right of the bat. At warlord level, i didn't think about it at all :blush:. I tried once and with a 2 cities NC set-up then 2 more later. I learned a lot about how powerful an early cultural cs can give some extra strength later in the game, especially after the ren. era.

8. Khrax

Khrax Chieftain

I think 5 cities is a bit better than 4 at lower difficulties if you have enough good spots. I had 5 early cities and no problems with :c5happy:.

9. morrg

morrg Chieftain

Congrats, Khrax! :)

My game was quite similar to Khrax', and I agree with his advice. Building 5 cities before NC gives the last 3 some more time to grow, and it seems to pay off in such short games, as long as you can handle the smilies. At least one early cs ally is also a key point. And the timing of the first RA wave - it should hit shortly after the median is between compass and education, or even better, education only. That way you easily get astronomy at the end of first wave.

With some bazaars my economy was quite strong, and with some luck not getting any wars declared at me, I had few problems getting 5+5+5 RAs. I slacked a little in GS production though, so I ended up with only 6 from cities (even had to buy public school in capital to get the last of those). 12 policies (2 tradition, 6 liberty, 4 rationalism), wonders: hagia sophia, porcelain tower, chichen itza, oracle, statue of liberty, taj mahal.

Time to get used to standard speed again, quick games are so...quick.