G-Minor XXIV

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Denniz, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Denniz

Denniz Where's my breakfast? Retired Moderator

While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:
    • Victory Condition: Domination (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
    • Difficulty: Warlord
    • Map Size: Small
    • Map Type: Great Plains
    • Speed: Epic
    • Leader: Greece (Alexander)
    • Required: One City Challenge
    • Opponents: Any
    • Version: SV8 (1.0.1.511)
    • Date: 1st to 15th March 2012
    The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

2. vexing

vexing knows

this should be pretty formulaic with occ.
    hit mining ruin, hit culture ruin, hit upgrade ruin, win =)

3. krakedhalo

krakedhalo Warlord

I expect this to get beaten by a lot, but just to get the ball rolling:

Turn 89, 1775BC

Started in the top left corner, which probably isn't ideal. Central starts are almost certainly faster. Didn't get any useful tech or culture ruins.

4. TyfoonTurk

TyfoonTurk Warlord

79, monument,scout,hoplites,

5. numaru7

numaru7 Chieftain

turn 103 with companion cav. central start. Build directly granary because i got pottery from ruin, didn't have horses so i had to build another city too. Went honor. First attack was with 2 warriors and 1 cavalry

6. krakedhalo

krakedhalo Warlord

Can I ask what the thought process was for building the monument? It doesn't seem like these games will really last long enough to justify that. The added border expansion shouldn't really matter, especially if you're using hoplites as the main force of your army. Obviously it helps get policies, but it seems like the opportunity cost in terms of getting a scout or two out to pop ruins probably outweighs the extra policy, especially since you have a high likelihood of popping a culture ruin.

I'm not really very experienced in quick domination games beyond duel maps though, so would others take time to build the monument or no?

7. numaru7

numaru7 Chieftain

ups.. forgot the occ.. applied the same strat but with 1 city... same result so far..

8. Arnold_T

Arnold_T Prince

I sometime build monument - but only after I've got all the fighters I need out first! I agree it's not a good idea first thing.

9. S.K. Ren

S.K. Ren Prince

Hmm, I just did a T96 victory going Warrior->Hoplite only. Got lucky with a culture ruin so I went Liberty->Citizenship and just kept pumping out units. Too many hills/rivers slowed my conquest though. Disappointed I didn't have any horses nearby or I would have won much faster. Gonna try a few more times before I submit.

10. Khrax

Khrax Chieftain

I don't see the reason for building monument or granary. What is needed here is units, not buildings.

11. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Cut your lousy hairs!

Similar way to G-Minor XX. But OCC makes Liberty useless unless you start with a lot of forests around or lot of lux mines! Honor will probably be the way to go.

An early culture ruin is needed to achieve a top 3. Warriors until bronze working then start buying/building hoplites.

2 major paths :

Capital on top of a lux mine + other lux mines around--->warriors(1st army)--->Liberty free worker--->sell ressources--->buy/build hoplites(2nd army?)

Regular start(like mining lux on top of cap only at best)--->warriors(1st army)--->Honor--->buy/build hoplites(2nd army?)

Estimated finishes : We played an inland sea dom. game at epic speed a couple of months ago and best times were between 65 and 70 but we had to make a detour behind the giant lake in the middle with hills to cross.

I guess the winner can finish under 60.

12. vexing

vexing knows

i think honor, gg has to be stronger path than liberty, worker.

i can see value in a monument, but i think you probably want at least your first army going before that.

at epic speed it's not going to be possible to get cc in a winning timeframe, unless you magically hit both animal husbandry and wheel. even then it's doubtful.

sub 60 definitely.

13. TyfoonTurk

TyfoonTurk Warlord

i built a monument for getting to military tradition earlier for more instant healing to keep the armies going

probably dont want to build scouts, because they "steal" the upgrade ruins

new time 63

14. numaru7

numaru7 Chieftain

Turn 74 this time - river start, not on hill, wheat, gold, silver, deer, no workers used - first army warriors, second hoplites. army size: 5 hoplites, 2 warriors, 2 GG's, lost 1 warrior. Started top left. First army started clockwise.

I did get an upgrade ruin and a culture ruin and a +1 citizen and went honor ofc, build monument in the end when another hoplite wouldn't have made it on the battlefield in time anyway.

fails on my part:
    1) didn't get any heal upgrade - that would have shaved off at least 5 turns.
    2) didn't steal any workers from CS's- would have probably chopped 2 forests that would have helped in building units faster

I had a silver on a hill near the river - should i have considered to move there to get the extra 1 prod bonus? City has 8 base prod, with left side of honor 9.2. Hoplite costs 84 hammers and get build in 10 turns, so i guess shaving 1 turn off every hoplite could have bought me another ....what... 4 turns?

15. TyfoonTurk

TyfoonTurk Warlord

well, got the first sub-60 by 2 turns, t58

no culture ruins and only got a general out at the last city, started in the middle

16. ImperialGuard

ImperialGuard Prince

For this Gauntlet, I was trying to determine based on the "exploit rules":

Is it an exploit to sell a Luxury to a Civ, declare war, take capital, and repeat for other Civ's ?

Are other people selling Luxuries in their games?

thanks!

17. vexing

vexing knows

you mean your first.

18. Salomo

Salomo Warlord

That depends on the fineprint and probably the mood of the mods and how much they like you. However, I believe nobody will check anyway and if you try to follow or even understand the rules too closely you will not compete for the top spot.

Or perhaps one should say: Everyone has his own interpretation and the looser yours is, the better finish you can get. Just don't try to find out whether your interpretation of the rules is correct or ask anyone to look at the video of your game.

At least that was my impression at the end of the last debate when having a gauntlet like this. Which was about the same time I decided not to play these gauntlets anymore.

19. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Cut your lousy hairs!

Turn 55 first real try. No culture ruin, 1 upgrade and 1 pop ruin.

Below 50 is doable.

20. Peets

Peets Emperor Hall of Fame Staff

If you do it one time to each civ to conquer them, then no.
    If you repeat it to earn money, yes.