G-Minor XXV

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Denniz, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Denniz

Denniz Where's my breakfast? Retired Moderator

While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:

• Victory Condition: Culture (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
    • Difficulty: Chieftain
    • Map Size: Small
    • Map Type: Lakes
    • Speed: Epic
    • Leader: Egypt (Ramesses II)
    • Opponents: Any
    • Version: SV8 (1.0.1.511)
    • Date: 15th March to 1st April 2012

The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

2. krakedhalo

krakedhalo Warlord

Again, not expecting this to stand for long once the big boys start playing, but just to get discussion started:

1675, turn 355, 2476 pts

Bodies of water set to large lakes - this seemed to be a good compromise between amount of land in the city radius vs. concentration of resources.

3 cities, peaceful until the very last turn when Japan declared on me. Not terribly good production in the capital, and badly mis-timed getting Acoustics and then the following policy, so I didn't have Opera Houses until 20+ turns after Chivalry. Should definitely have built IT for the GS to time Acoustics better.

3. Lord_Bubu

Lord_Bubu Chieftain

4. vexing

vexing knows

chieftain requires less than 80% of the culture warlord does, so sub 300 should be possible.

legalism is pretty game dependent... either museums or opera houses. opera houses let you get hermitage sooner, while museums require more to build overall.

5. Lord_Bubu

Lord_Bubu Chieftain

damn, so I just wasted 3 hours playing on Warlord instead of Chieftain. Maybe I should switch to the Englisch localization. :)

btw. thanks for your answer vexing.

6. Lord_Bubu

Lord_Bubu Chieftain

Does it matter, when I get representation?

7. vexing

vexing knows

if you have multiple cities, of course... at 4 cities it cuts down policy cost by > 10%

8. Lord_Bubu

Lord_Bubu Chieftain

My question was unclear. I meant if it was retroactive, i.e. that it always cuts down the increase for the following policies by 10% when you choose it, no matter before or after the founding of a city?

Or is it worthless if you take it after founding the additional cities?

9. Lord_Bubu

Lord_Bubu Chieftain

just finished at T341. Had a great start with lots of wine and inc. Went 3 cities. Allied 2 CS quite early, the rest as fast as possible. I have some ideas to cut a few turns off, but I am currently stuck how to get anywhere near to T300, especially since I don't see a way to get Utopia in less than 20 turns.

10. vexing

vexing knows

retroactive could imply other things...
    any time you have more than one city and representation, you will be paying less than if you did not have representation.

it changes the formula's 0.15 addition per city to 0.10

11. Lord_Bubu

Lord_Bubu Chieftain

btw. If i ask nicely, will you either post the formula or the link to it, since its probably posted somewhere here and I am just to stupid to find it... Thanks in advance!

12. vexing

vexing knows

13. FeiLing

FeiLing Deity

I really can't bear to look at a formula like this and think about what it actually means... it's just painful ;)

However I think a good way to test what you want to know Bubu is to save a game before you take representation and remember the policy cost of the next policy. Then load it and don't take representation but something else. If the number is different, then it is retroactive.

14. Lord_Bubu

Lord_Bubu Chieftain

Thanks, that clarifies my questions. It was clear that the costs increase exponentially, but I first thought, that the costs of a new SP were defined recursively, which in fact doesn't make much sense. :)

But what I don't understand: Since the costs increase linear in the number of cities. Isn't a additional city always worth it, as long as your able to keep it producing at least 10% the culture needed for the new policy in the same time as the rest of your empire produces the rest?

Edit: Just found all needed answers in the Number Crunching thread.

15. vexing

vexing knows

basically, yes. producing 10% of base is harder than it sounds though, and you also have to deal with getting opera houses everywhere for hermitage (and workshops for ironworks, unis for oxford, etc). this is why 4 cities max (+ infinite puppets) is recommended.

16. DevilHell

DevilHell Warlord

So I did it on year 1850 :/ I know I suck
    But reading now I realized some of my problems
    I will try again
    A question, how do you upload or submit your game????

17. vexing

vexing knows

read the rules,
    create an account with the HoF,
    sign into that account and there is a submit game button.

18. DevilHell

DevilHell Warlord

Hmmm seems like I'm fckd, because I didn't save the initial position, or a third of the game, or a second third of the game
    :mad: Angry!!
    i just played like the best game I could have played in my life :((

19. FeiLing

FeiLing Deity

:goodjob:

Sorry for laughing, but you really gotta blame yourself here ;)

20. vexing

vexing knows

well, even though you're not going to get mad props for your turn 250 win, at least you have self recognition, and you hopefully had fun playing.