G-Minor XXV

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Denniz, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Peets

Peets Emperor Hall of Fame Staff

If you use the autosave every turn then you can just use your autosaves and your final save. It is valid.

2. DevilHell

DevilHell Warlord

Naah I'm not gonna get mad, yeah I played well but I'm still gonna learn from other posts, however, my best played game in my life is not as half as good as the one which will win, it was like 350 lol

Imma still try. thx

3. S.K. Ren

S.K. Ren Prince

Don't feel bad, I just wasted an entire game by playing on Standard instead of Epic :lol:
    Btw, how much longer than Standard is Epic?

Edit: Oh yeah, whats faster a) Fast teching 1-2 cities and playing safe or b) going for a fast puppet empire, leaving 1 clutch capital so you can go for culture victory.

4. vexing

vexing knows

50% longer.

you tell us

5. S.K. Ren

S.K. Ren Prince

Just me rambling on...
    Spoiler :
    Having just droned through several benchmarking games(Stop at turn 250), I'll definitely say 2 cities is better than one, but I suspect that's common knowledge amongst the pros with timing being the key variable there. I've been going Liberty-> Citizen-> Representation-> Collective Rule then going straight for Piety. Seems to be getting me done faster than doing a mix of Liberty and Tradition into Piety has been.

Edit: Faster teching/policies in the mid does not equate to a faster finish :(

I'm guessing I either need to go war machine mode between turns 100-150 and finish by 150-175 at the latest because doing it half and half just ended up drawing out the game.

6. TyfoonTurk

TyfoonTurk Warlord

i think bodies of water should be set to seas for completing sydney opera house. temparature and rainfall don't bring any advantages, i think.

7. S.K. Ren

S.K. Ren Prince

That's pretty much what I've been doing. It also separates the AIs a bit giving you room to breathe. So far my best is on Turn 403, Score 4881. That's down from 480+ so I'm getting better.

8. krakedhalo

krakedhalo Warlord

I'm not sure this is optimal. If you're on the coast, you're going to be giving up a fair number of tiles in your city radius that can't give you any production (at least, not without harbors and seaports, which come late). I doubt the SOH will be made by any of the top finishers - it just requires too much tech. Usually on these fast culture runs my late-game science goal is to get to steam power for a factory in the capitol to help speed up the Utopia construction. Even then it's a trade-off though, since after you finish Archaeology and Sci. Method, spending a GS or Oxford on Biology is a good play. That doubles the culture you get from city states and possibly reveals oil for extra production and gives hospitals. So the added production from factories isn't necessarily worth it, and there's rarely time to get both Biology and Steam Power.

That said, seas may still be a good choice since it helps to concentrate the land resources.

9. vexing

vexing knows

i made soh =p

10. Lord_Bubu

Lord_Bubu Chieftain

At which turn? :)

11. S.K. Ren

S.K. Ren Prince

I think he means on the linked HoF score from earlier. T 333, Inland Sea iirc

12. vexing

vexing knows

nope.

13. Lord_Bubu

Lord_Bubu Chieftain

Didnt try b) yet, but I think it's not a good option. When I had a look at vexings games (only browsed trough a few) he didn't seem to try this on games shorter than 300 turns.
    But I will try this as well, just to be sure...

I replayed my 341 T game (3 cities) once with 4 cities (needed 346 turns) and 2 cities (338 turns).
    Didn't get steam machine fast enough (would have saved me 8 or 9 turns, but i know what i did wrong). So it seems that 2 cities are the easier approach...
    Maybe I should try research agreements as well (after getting PT).

@vexing: I got to pay respect to your performance. :king: Currently I have no idea how I can go (significantly) below 330 turns. How the heck are you completing T300 or less games? :confused:

14. vexing

vexing knows

that was just an estimate of a min possibility, extrapolating from the warlord difficulty game. it may be infeasible due to small size.

15. krakedhalo

krakedhalo Warlord

I stand corrected :lol:

Shows how far off the pace *I* am, I haven't even made it to Steam on any tries. Vexing, are you going warring in your games? If so, at what point do you start fighting?

16. Lord_Bubu

Lord_Bubu Chieftain

If you say "due to the small size", I conclude you mean the best way is by puppeting as many cities as possible and on a smaller map you can't puppet that many cities.
    Or are there any other problems that arise due to the small map? I can't think of any.

17. S.K. Ren

S.K. Ren Prince

I think thats exactly what he means. I just got done with a game where I subdued everyone sub turn 200 and spend the next 200 turns sprinting towards a culture finish and yet I didn't even beat my old record of Turn 403 though that was due to me being stupid. I decided that with such a huge amount of free time, GAs would be more effective prolonging a giant Golden Age...

Anyways a question I have is the Mandate From Heaven SP. Is it worth prioritizing Happiness over another city with culture buildings? Basically should I just puppet 4/5 capitals or should I keep all their little cities as well?

18. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Cut your lousy hairs!

One try. I rerolled a bit until i got something decent.

Spoiler :

Utopia in 20 turns(344 finish projected). I wanted to use Mecca for Sydney but i forgot to save a ge. But at least i got coal and aluminium inside territory. I'm not replaying this one, just wanted to keep cultural games around my brain connections :)

750+100 :c5gold: RAs are pretty expensive! I made many mistakes, cultural games are the least easy for me but still way better than some months ago. I started with Stonehenge and Pyramids in capital. 2nd city built the GL and Oracle. Expanded 2 more cities after representation. Slow 4 cities NC in some words. I built Hagia Sophia like 30 turns after i researched Education!

19. vexing

vexing knows

you can't think of anything? =0

less cultural city states, less RAs and less gold all due to small map size.

puppet empires contribute only a small amount of raw culture, the main advantage is providing gold which is turned into cultural cs, ras and rush bought buildings (broadcast towers).

20. Lord_Bubu

Lord_Bubu Chieftain

obviously. That's why I am keeping to pose stupid questions all the time. ;)

number of css is random anyway, but of course the probability getting enough of them decreases.
    Didn't try RA in this gauntlet, rather used my lux to strip AI of all gold and rushbuy buildings.
    Do you think RAs before the PT are worth it?
    Gold? I never have enough of it on any map size.^^

Just found that out too. :)