G-Minor XXVI

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Ozbenno, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Lord_Bubu

Lord_Bubu Chieftain

Yes. RAs resolve at the beginning of the first turn after they end or at the end of the turn they point (depending on hor you choose to view it :) ).
    So you made a RA at T70. It ends in T100 and is resolved right at the beginning of T101 before everything else!

2. krakedhalo

krakedhalo Warlord

Tabarnak, I don't understand this if you're using a GE from Liberty or HS. In a science-rush game, what's the benefit of ever taking a GE from these two? Sure, hand building the PT might cost you a GS overall from the GP points that would accumulate during the time it takes to build, but selecting a GE from Liberty or HS over a GS definitely costs a GS.

Unless your GE is earned via GP points in the capitol (from Stonehenge, maybe? I don't see building that in this game, but your times are better than mine, so...), I don't see why you'd want to waste the definite GS. Even if you have all three RA's going and making PT or not depends on the GE, that's only ~75% of an MA tech vs. 100% of an IA tech later.

3. vexing

vexing knows

saving turns so the capital can build other stuff is the biggest factor for me.

4. Tabarnak

Tabarnak Cut your lousy hairs!

This too. I prefer hard building Notre Dame instead. The nice thing with this wonder is i don't always need it.

I try to make my capital the first city to stop producing a gs. So the sooner the last one from that city is born the better. I can focus all my energy for Apollo. And meanwhile i want sufficient RAs and gs to get boosters available. and begin these parts as soon as possible.

I squeezed a 2nd game today and i agree that since i learned how to follow beaker overflow from RAs my games are significantly faster. Less thinking :) Made 236 turns this time. This tactic helped me to tech better too. I made a 4 cities then NC set-up. I got some difficulties to grow my cities at first because i tought that 4 unique luxs were enough to start them growing...hmm no i was stuck at -1 happiness...for like 15 turns...meh. Another big mistake is starting RAs too late. Signed first at 98, second some turns later and last one at 120 for first wave...if we can call this a wave. I had wait for them to enter the Medieval era and only the second one was signed without penalty. The 120 turn RA dude was still in the classical era :mad:...Still...236 is not bad...Stupid Darius DoWed me and broke an RA around turn 150...double meh. I can see now how Neuro made 223. God damn i'm pretty happy about this RA overflow thing seriously :D

I burned a ge for Hanging Gardens around turn 75 from Liberty finisher for my last 2 tries. I find this strategy very interesting and productive. Thoughts?

5. Lord_Bubu

Lord_Bubu Chieftain

You mean that whole median manipulating, right?

I must me doing something wrong. Since I am getting 4 waves of RA and still not able to get below T250, no matter if I save the GP from HG and Liberty or not. Last try I would have gotten to about T240, if not one RA was broken by DoW from Harun. :(
    Tried 3 cities+NC and 1 afterwards and 2 cities+NC and 2 later. Always try to get a CCS ally. Maybe its not that important to rush the GL. Last try capitol build Lib and second city built GL. In the end I finished T25x like the 2 tries before....

I still can't see, how Neuro reached T223.... well on the other hand, having marble, mountain, river and plenty of food in the capitel certainly saves a lot of time early on. But still impressing.

6. Tabarnak

Not really, just that you can put the overflow where what you want by selecting multiple techs right before the RA finishes.

7. vexing

vexing knows

i just hard build it

8. FeiLing

FeiLing Deity

T279 on an imho quite suboptimal map. I'm probably too late with the submission too...

Anyway, look how cool my Machu Picchu is this time :D

Spoiler :

9. Khrax

Khrax Chieftain

I have been busy the last weeks and have not had time for the last gauntlets. But I reached a game today, and I will hopefully participate in the major one. Chose Askia, Harun and Genghis as opponents, built three fast cities. The game went quite well anyway, and I finished at 222 turns. Had not so much food, but many hammers and pretty good economy and reached the wonders and policies I wanted. (Wonders: GL, Oracle, Colossus, Hanging gardens, Machu Picchu, Chicken Itza, Notre Dame, PT, Hagia, Louvre. (No time for Statue of Liberty). Policies: 2 in tradition, 6 liberty, 1 freedom and 4 rationalism.) Had observatory in the capital, which is quite important here. 4 cities would probably have been better, but had no good location for a 4th city. It's possible to do better with better RA planning.

10. S.K. Ren

S.K. Ren Prince

Just finished a 270 run. Hope its in in time. After playing (and failing) 20+ Deity games as Siam I decided to take what I had learned and go back for one last try. Started in a good spot near a mountain, no river but had 3 whales (god I hate the culture tile selection), marble and other good resources as I would find out. Were this a OCC this would have been king (Had 12 Iron, Oil and Uranium)

I managed to ally two cultural city states early on and that also served to help me stay happy and grow. I decided to fast expand to 3 cities then get a 4th whenever. Turns out whenever is when you build Notre Dame. If i had any regrets it would be not killing Egypt the first time he DoWd me. He could not hurt me if he had an atomic bomb, thats how bad his position was. He broke two RAs before I decided he had to die. I took his capital about 8 turns before I won :D

Spoiler :

I was surprised how well that 4th city worked out. It grew surprisingly fast despite only being supported by 1 Maritime CS (Only one on the map I could find. Also had Aluminum, SCORE). This is still a substantial improvement over my previous attempts. Another thing that struck me as odd is my 3 cities always grew in unison. I would hit 1 happiness and see all three ready to pop in the same number of turns, it made selling Lux easy, just had to wait once, then sell. Finally the same thing with syncing was the final 3 pieces all finished on 270. I had a scary moment though. I saw the ghosted icon for a worker in my capital and I seriously flipped my s*** that I would be delayed a turn when everything was ready that turn. But when I went to move the SS part it showed the capital as valid so I imagine the icon is a glitch from when I disbanded a worker or something.

11. Denniz

Denniz Where's my breakfast? Retired Moderator

Results:

G-Minor XXVI - Science, Prince, Tiny, Ice Age, Standard, India (Gandhi)
    1st khrax -1560 AD T-222
    2nd Neuro - 1565 AD T-223 2613 points
    3rd vexing - 1565 AD T-223 2452 points

Contratulations!

12. S.K. Ren

S.K. Ren Prince

HAhahaha, look at khrax sniping the win :D

13. Tabarnak

He has done that several times! He's a real sniper :)

When his brother is around it's even worse :lol:

14. Khrax

Khrax Chieftain

:) I was lucky with that one, yes. Hopefully my sniper brother will have time for more gauntlets soon

15. vexing

vexing knows

sadly, i could have sniped the win if i had made a shorter path for my railroad: my furthest city was just beyond the range of reaching capital with part, so even though i had all parts done on 222 i didn't finish till 223, and i could have shortened the path. i learned at least.