1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gaddafi is history! Tripoli is free!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cheetah, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

2. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

Have you been there? How do you know if they don't have a command structure (no matter how rudimentary) or not?

3. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

The Libyans on the ground say it themselves. Did you watch the video I posed some time ago?

(And again, I am not talking about training individual soldiers, I am talking about establishing some sort of overall command over the whole operation, which seems to be missing. Not to mention any civilian government control over this armed rabble.)

4. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

How's that supposed to work? I don't know the details, but given Libya's tribal structure, there were probably several different rebel forces that rose up simultaneously with nothing to unite them except the common goal of getting rid of Qaddafi.

Where should the authority to establish another level of command over them come from? Such attempts would only result in internal conflict that would hurt the war effort.

5. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

From the government. Of course the problem is there is no real government...

Sorting the issues of command and control over the "armed forces" (if you can call them that) would perhaps delay the fall of Gaddafi, but it would better prepare the country for peace. Now they're just postponing the really hard thing after Gaddafi is finally defeated, which to me seems like a recipe for a new civil war. The time to organize the military is now, when there is still a common enemy and some urgency that will boost the legitimacy of such a move.

After Gaddafi is gone, everybody will fight for positions in the new regime (more so that they do now) and it will be much harder to control the armed "forces".

---

BTW, as I said before, the central government should by now be building a loyal, regular military force, preferably with NATO help, to take over security after the war ends and to enforce the governments authority if necessary.

6. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Of course. The time to build up an organized military is when you don't need any man anymore, and have already gained some legitimacy as central government.

Let's see if the rebels allow to be disarmed once the last Qaddafi outposts have fallen.

7. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

(can we swap Africa for Latin America, pretty please? :please: Things would be much easier for Europe...)

8. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

What, and allow Venezuela to join the EU? I think not. :nono:

9. GamezRule

GamezRule Inconceivable!

What's so special about Europe? Your brand of European nationalism is even more repulsive then the old nationalism.

10. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

Excuse me? In what aspect?

11. Lone Cat

Lone Cat Warlord

I don't know that if this will contribute to the legalization of 'Palestine' nation. But isn't Gaddafi a war monger is he?

someone else may steer the whole regions throughout the years but he contributed ALOT to middle east chaos. throughout his regime.

12. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I know what you mean, but there's no European nation.

13. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

Not only there, South American 'freedom fighters' a.k.a. terrorists who kidnap businessmen and take the money to banks in the Cayman Islands in the name of the revolutionary struggle used to train in Lybia, too.

14. GamezRule

GamezRule Inconceivable!

Meh. Hearing EU #1 get's annoying after a while, especially when it's sincere.

15. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

Does the truth hurt you so much? :p

16. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

If you'd read Winner's posts that actually concern the EU instead of USA bashing, you wouldn't say that.

17. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

If I want to talk to Europe#1, who do I call?

18. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

Brussels. They'll give you fresh sprouts.

19. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

You know, I've never actually had Brussels sprouts before.

20. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Meh, I'd rather have Europe#1 done right then USA#1 done right. At least Europe has culture and history rather then being founded by a bunch of clueless colonials borrowing everything good from Europe.