Gain sources have any effect on max level spy?

Nettronic

Chieftain
I do not play often anymore, but anecdotally, I don't notice any increase after maxing out my spies, and from what I was just able to google people list a %/%/% chance of failure for spies.

So I am thinking no, gain sources does not have any effect on success chance when used on a max level spy doing espionage.

Follow up to that... does it have any effect on AI reduction to spy level like cryptography?

Thanks.

I believe that any counterspying pts the AI has against you will lower your level? So any + from promotions or cards or gain sources should count against these penalties. Keep this thread active for now until someone else answers....

gain sources does not have any effect on success chance when used on a max level spy doing espionage.
Incorrect, as stated, the enemy spy level and cards slotted/intelligence agency modify the roll but you do not know this directly via the screen, that would be cheating.
Also escape chances and routes make things more complicated. Try fleeing via plane without gain sources.

does it have any effect on AI reduction to spy level like cryptography?
yup.

How does escape chances work? Is there anything written on this forum about this?
I tested spies heavily, as in over 500 missions at level 1 with no defensive spies in place. This gave me great stats on how spies work and because you could see the chances, a few simple tests would validate a lot of other things. For example stacking quartermaster works. (Or at least did work).
However even 500 missions is not enough to get anything near a decent understanding of escape mechanism. You have to be detected and not captured or killed. Then it depends on how many escape exits the city has as to how the roll works and which one you choose. I was sick of testing and when I tried to look at it again about 6 months ago, I just remembered sacrificing 2 weeks of my life to the basics and thought no. There is stupid and insane. I am purely the former.
Certainly escaping by foot is safer than by plane. I think if there is only 1-2 options of escape then your chances of escape are worse than if there is 4. The size. Of the roll increments. Escape with one exit is on a 1D4., 2 exits 1D8 by the looks of it but who knows.

Incorrect, as stated, the enemy spy level and cards slotted/intelligence agency modify the roll but you do not know this directly via the screen, that would be cheating.

The negative modifiers from the new diplomatic quarter do show up on the screen. You can't accidentally overlook it. Wanted to siphon funds somewhere and at first didn't understand why the succes rate was so low.

I tested spies heavily, as in over 500 missions at level 1 with no defensive spies in place. This gave me great stats on how spies work and because you could see the chances, a few simple tests would validate a lot of other things. For example stacking quartermaster works. (Or at least did work).
However even 500 missions is not enough to get anything near a decent understanding of escape mechanism. You have to be detected and not captured or killed. Then it depends on how many escape exits the city has as to how the roll works and which one you choose. I was sick of testing and when I tried to look at it again about 6 months ago, I just remembered sacrificing 2 weeks of my life to the basics and thought no. There is stupid and insane. I am purely the former.
Certainly escaping by foot is safer than by plane. I think if there is only 1-2 options of escape then your chances of escape are worse than if there is 4. The size. Of the roll increments. Escape with one exit is on a 1D4., 2 exits 1D8 by the looks of it but who knows.

Is escaping by Foot the safest option? (but takes the longest?) Honestly I never pick anything but that option.

What does 1D4, 1D8 mean here?

1D4 and 1D8 are way someone describes a 1. It's 1 roll of a 4 sided dice, and 1 roll of a 8 sided dice.

Rolling a 2D20 means roll 2, 20-sided die.

Or is die the singular?

Is escaping by Foot the safest option? (but takes the longest?) Honestly I never pick anything but that option.

1D4 and 1D8 are way someone describes a 1. It's 1 roll of a 4 sided dice, and 1 roll of a 8 sided dice.

Rolling a 2D20 means roll 2, 20-sided die.

Or is die the singular?

Die is singular. Dice is plural. Roll a die, roll two dice.

Die is singular. Dice is plural. Roll a die, roll two dice.
I can confirm this (for American English at least).

I'm also curious about people's choice of escape route. I always pick "on foot," because every extra ounce of survivability is worth 1-3 less turns of use to me, but is this true for everyone?

I'm also curious about people's choice of escape route. I always pick "on foot," because every extra ounce of survivability is worth 1-3 less turns of use to me, but is this true for everyone?
Almost always on foot, because I rarely actually need them, and I'd rather lose a couple of turns waiting for my spy, than have to create and train up a new one. Occasionally, if I'm trying to flip a particularly difficult city I will risk it to get him back in the game ASAP, but otherwise I don't and just play it safe.

Almost always on foot, because I rarely actually need them, and I'd rather lose a couple of turns waiting for my spy, than have to create and train up a new one. Occasionally, if I'm trying to flip a particularly difficult city I will risk it to get him back in the game ASAP, but otherwise I don't and just play it safe.

I will take the Ace Driver promotion if it comes up esp if already have linguist or disguise. Then I will choose escape by road, otherwise on foot. Never lost an Ace driver but it's not like I've run 100's of missions with them

I will take the Ace Driver promotion if it comes up esp if already have linguist or disguise. Then I will choose escape by road, otherwise on foot. Never lost an Ace driver but it's not like I've run 100's of missions with them

My luck must be horrible, as I've lost even Ace Drivers escaping on foot (as in, captured or killed).

As such I always order them to escape on foot, I think I've only tried the other options once, which is a shame because of the flavor they add to the game.

Then again, I guess being an Ace Driver doesn't help if they're escaping on foot! :mischief:

My luck must be horrible, as I've lost even Ace Drivers escaping on foot (as in, captured or killed).

As such I always order them to escape on foot, I think I've only tried the other options once, which is a shame because of the flavor they add to the game.

Then again, I guess being an Ace Driver doesn't help if they're escaping on foot! :mischief:
There is a log file called RandCalls.csv. When something like that happens you should take a look of it. But it will be cleared the next time you start the game.

I guess being an Ace Driver doesn't help if they're escaping on foot! :mischief:
Unless you'd come by a herd to direct - the most effective way to stop followers..

Top Bottom