Gaining Science via Osmosis (and changing others civics)

Victoria

Regina
Supporter
Does anyone know just how this works?
I have no alliances sharing science at the moment so it looks like some science naturally feed across borders (which I have always wanted to see)
upload_2021-8-15_11-19-53.png

EDIT: Looks like the Wiki has it in this link explained nicely https://humankind.fandom.com/wiki/Influence scroll down to Osmosis!

Last edited:
It's exactly that: when neighbors have a tech that you don't, while you have a territory in their sphere of influence, this can happen. So, in case you are strong in influence, this happens often only when you get a new city/territory. There are two versions: sometimes it's just a bit of science, sometimes you have the option to spend some money to get that technology or get a bulk of science. It's a nice catch-up mechanic for empires with less influence and science, as it happens more often to them.

While I generally like the science osmosis, I generally dislike the civic osmosis that forces you to change a specific choice or deal with -50 stability for some (10?) turns in this city.

I generally dislike the civic osmosis that forces you to change a specific choice
I do not mind it at all, in fact it seems a fundamental part of the initial design, but it does not flip the city.
It's a nice catch-up mechanic
While I cannot directly see thier science, I know I am ahead as am playing a science puch game to see how the end of the tech chart goes. I'll keep an eye on this, you sure it is only when taking new cities?

While I cannot directly see thier science, I know I am ahead as am playing a science puch game to see how the end of the tech chart goes. I'll keep an eye on this, you sure it is only when taking new cities?
You need to have a territory with foreign culture, so it can happen also in "old" cities, if they got converted by others to their culture. It's just that often when you conquer a new city/territory, it is of foreign culture, which makes osmosis events more likely. That's also what I meant with the catch-up (not necessarily referring to your game): when you are strong in influence and convert other player's territory, they are more likely to get these osmosis events, which should help them to get a bit more science going.

Damn, I would have though a natural osmosis from a leading science civ to weaker ones, with a modifier on influence would have been better but the mechanic is there, they can always tweak it. Thanks, trying catch up quick with understanding as I have to write a review today/tomorrow

Hey @Siptah, this city was taken about 10 turns ago, next to it is a non-attached territory influenced by the enemy and each turn I see to be getting roughly the same amount of science (which they do not have the ability to create) , all interesting stuff.
upload_2021-8-15_16-8-3.png

Last edited:
I have no idea how the amount of science that you get is calculated . I thought that it would depend on era * your own science or something similar. I suspect that there‘s something strange going on, however, as the range that I‘ve seen goes from 15 to the thousands as for you as well. I don‘t know how your science per turn looks, but I would guess that an extra 2000 per turn is a noticeable difference. So the events are between OP and completely irrelevant. I hope the devs will have a look at that feature soon, as it requires some clarity and tuning, but is as it’s base a very cool mechanic.

I thought that it would depend on era *
I am now getting it Ona city with less research and it’s giving me about 1k so it seems based on the local science output.

Ps. A little annoyed with the game as you get fame points for pollution but not setting off the first nuke. Ah, wierdly.... for my second
upload_2021-8-15_18-10-20.png

Last edited:
Nice catch! Which event was that?
Edit: found it.

Last edited:
… cannot remember, it’s a contemporary one, there is so many going off.
Nearly finished, … thinking do I nuke the world or fly to space.
.. I think this game currently has oil issues. It’s fine only have 5 oil fields on the map but when heavy tanks need 3 ….

So only the player who trades strategics has heavy tanks?
I think there may be more than 5 but only a couple, the map can obfuscate until you zoom in, will have to reload and have a look. (EDIT:6 Oil) I managed 3 by breaking a big alliance... they got +120 war support
Just finished
Spoiler :

Not really any competition
upload_2021-8-15_19-30-22.png

upload_2021-8-15_19-29-17.png

@Siptah It looks like they have added the osmosis event to the HK wiki with a nice explanation, deeper than I thought. https://humankind.fandom.com/wiki/Influence
I think I may play an aesthete game properly to see how it goes
It seems nasty, you change other empires civic and suck their science and they will get cross with you but you are an aesthete so can hopefully keep them calm about becoming your society … love it!
Aesthetically pleasing. This game has depth.

Last edited:
@Siptah Additional info
Here I started early, settled next to someone and traded with them.
Because I had no horses and am phoenicia I did not go for domestication at all.
Perhaos because I am pushing influence or perhaps it is mutual but I now have a choice of buying domestication for 70 gold or getting 51 science (Domestication is 35 science and I have not put anything toward it, even events). So 70 gold and 35 science or just 51 science (that overflows) I am guessing the game does not expect my science to be this high this early.... I am going to boost this cities science when I can.
I guess for anyone investigating more, Currently Sidon is producing 12 science and my whole civ 24. The opposition is the Nubians who have traded Papyrus off me... this is a trade fest civ partnership in the making. I guess the secret is to try and not get the techs they are getting.

upload_2021-8-21_14-10-27.png

Thanks! I still haven’t figured out when this event happens compared to the other one. Maybe trade routes play a role? I see that there‘s still the problem that it doesn‘t make much sense to pay for the tech compared to taking the lump sum.

Thanks! I still haven’t figured out when this event happens compared to the other one. Maybe trade routes play a role? I see that there‘s still the problem that it doesn‘t make much sense to pay for the tech compared to taking the lump sum.
So it happened soon after I made it a city, and it only happened once.

I’m guessing it triggered once because that territory was initially under the neighbors sphere of influence and once it converted to your empire no more were produced.

The trade off seems to be either

A. Don’t invest in influence too much and allow your empire to become culturally aligned with another. The science boosts are giant, easily a free then of science every few turns. In my last game the entire world was influenced by the leader and I was pulling in several large osmosis science events per turn. Or

B. Invest in influence and either gain lots of allies for the boosts, or use it to conquer your neighbors on the cheap, since with the “oppressing my people” demand from influencing one of their territories, you can take that territory for only 10 war score. And based on the wiki, that war will be easier to win.

Option A really strengthens the non science/influence early game being able to catch back up on science later.

Damn, I would have though a natural osmosis from a leading science civ to weaker ones, with a modifier on influence would have been better but the mechanic is there, they can always tweak it.

One of my disappointments with HK is that the dev team has not embraced the historical reality that once your neighbour knows a tech, eventually you will, too, whether you actively pursue that tech or not. I really hoped that with the fame and era star system, they would orient fame and era stars towards unlocking cutting edge technologies only, but they've chosen to go another route. I find the science catch up from osmosis events very awkward as they are currently structured, but I agree that there is an interesting mechanic here that could be built on at some point.

I’m guessing it triggered once because that territory was initially under the neighbors sphere of influence and once it converted to your empire no more were produced.

The trade off seems to be either

A. Don’t invest in influence too much and allow your empire to become culturally aligned with another. The science boosts are giant, easily a free then of science every few turns. In my last game the entire world was influenced by the leader and I was pulling in several large osmosis science events per turn. Or

B. Invest in influence and either gain lots of allies for the boosts, or use it to conquer your neighbors on the cheap, since with the “oppressing my people” demand from influencing one of their territories, you can take that territory for only 10 war score. And based on the wiki, that war will be easier to win.

Option A really strengthens the non science/influence early game being able to catch back up on science later.

There's a lot of subtlety to the behind-the-scenes influence "fights" between empires. A little too subtle, I fear, from the perspective of new players. That depth is great and rewards getting to know the system, but the non-intuitive opaqueness of it all may not be ideal. I like that the current mechanics provide a way to link influence and science (even if I'd quibble with the way the osmosis events are handled). I wish there was a similar linkage between religion and influence, but if there is one it's even deeper and more subtle.

Top Bottom