Galactic Civ II tips please

daiondoroga

Chieftain
I generally do well with turn based wargames. Total War, Master of Orion, X-COM, etc gave me no problems. However; I have a hard time with the economy of certain games. The civ series is one that gives me problems. I am able to win at civ IV, but only at medium difficulties. Gal civ is one game that I should really like, but I just can't get anywhere with it. My games start by expanding ASAP. I'll hurry the production of a colony ship and try to settle on as many planets as possible. It seems as soon as I get about three, there's none left. If I run into aliens about this time, I'm usually toward the top of the chart. But once I can't find any more planets to colonize, my problems start. I soon find myself lagging behind the others until I'm at the bottom of the list. I try to build buildings that should increase my economy. Perhaps I'm not building them in the proper order or I'm not researching techs in the proper order. Can anyone give me some tips on how I should get my game going?

It depends a lot on your map size. I rarely get more than 3-5 planets on Medium/Large maps, but that's usually enough.

The main problem early in Galciv2 is getting your economy up and running. There are several ways to do this. The first is to build up your planets with economy buildings (don't forget a couple factories and one or two labs though) so your income is more than your expense. Don't build farms because your morale can't handle it. From there you shoot up the econ tech trees (towards Stock Exchanges), the Morale tech trees (so you can raise taxes), and the governments (at least to Republic, which is a big boost).

The other option, a bit riskier, is to broker whatever you can. Research the same kinds of techs, but go for trade techs early too. If you can get Trade before any other race, they will pay a princely sum for it (and you WANT them trading, because they'll often trade with you). Another good tech is Alliances, in the government line; for some reason the AI absolutely adores this tech and will pay through the nose for it. Get all their tech (at least most of it; military techs usually won't move) and plenty of cash, and just spend on deficit. If you trade fast and furious enough you should have enough money to rush important stuff and stay in the black until your economy swings into profitability.

The third, and most nefarious option: Rush for Planetary Invasion. If you get there fast enough, nobody will have any ships. No ships means no ships in orbit. No ships in orbit means nobody defending from troop transports. If you start crammed in with another race, you can very well seize their home system before they can mount any defense against it. And let me tell you, snagging another homeworld is MUCH better than poking around looking for some piddly low-PQ planet to colonize. Of course nothing says you can't do both, but this option goes lean on tech unless you steal or extort it.

A bunch of thoughts came crowding through my head while reading the OP, lemme see if I can organize them all here.

When you're doing the initial land grab, what are you rushing with money? Colony ships? What else....? You see, when I colonize a new planet, the first thing I do with it is rush two factories. Otherwise the planet will be totally useless for six months, until that first factory gets built. What you need is not planets--but PRODUCTIVE planets. Rush a factory or two in order to get your infrastructure built out faster. And keep them once they're built. You'll need them throughout the game to upgrade your buildings.

Once any given planet has two or three factories, strongly consider piling laboratories onto all the other tiles. Yes, on ALL your planets. The lab you get at game start is cheap to build; pile in lots of them and do some tech rushing. Then start replacing them with other stuff when needed.

Think specialized planets. Instead of building a few labs and factories on each world, pick one planet and build nothing but factories on it. Then put your Manufacturing Capital there. On another planet, build nothing but research labs--and the Tech Capital. If I run across a planet with a food bonus tile or happiness bonus tile (or preferably both), I put up a farm, a couple of happiness buildings, and lots of marketplaces--i.e. a specialized money planet.

Consider rushing the Sensors tree and putting up a quick batch of picket ships. I've gotten away with rushing to the top (Sensors Mk 4) at the very start of a game, but you can get effective perimeter sentries without going that far. Position your sentries so you can spot an incoming threat well in advance (if you get Sensors Mk 4, and pile lots of them onto a Cargo-type hull, you'll have a ship that can see the entire map). If you see nothing on the radar, relax and develop your economy. If and when the bad guys come along, you're going to know exactly where and when, and how much force you need to counter them. Advance intel is worth a LOT--a small fleet in the right place will do you a lot more than a huge fleet in the wrong place.

Also consider an early run for Interstellar Republic. It's not a long trip to get there, and changing to a Republic will give you a 25% bonus on ALL your spending. Military, social, and (most important!) research.

In the early game, think technology and economy rather than military. Get your economy running first, and research the technologies needed to do that. Think factories, morale, and soil enhancement (hold that last one until you've used up most of the available space on your planets). AVOID researching "Research Academies" until your planets are well-developed and you're prepared for a long stretch of social spending--a Research Academy costs about three times as much as a research center, and only gives 2 more research points. You'll have to do it eventually, but if you do it too early, you'll sink your economy faster than a singularity driver will an inflatable raft.

A quick question (I only have the demo, which explains NOTHING): What exactly does morale do?

A quick question (I only have the demo, which explains NOTHING): What exactly does morale do?

Morale keeps your citizens loyal. I believe that it keeps your citizens from revolting. Morale also is useful in the event that you switch to a Republic, Democracy, or Federacy, and you require votes in order to have your political party stay in office.

what extra's come with the collector's edition?

I'd think just being a bit more expensive and having "extra's" ahat are useally a letdown, like most collector's edition's of any game.

That's y I never buy Collect edition.

i went to walmart and bought it but collectors was the only one left.

Another suggestion to help keep you at the top, build an economy starbase in range of each planet. They have a range of eight and as you upgrade the production modules you'll get the more productive planets BasketCase spoke of. The starbases are cumulative so over lap the closer clustered planets so that trade routes get covered.

Some extra jewelry to put on your ships and I think some other small upgrades. Make sure to register your collector edition serial nr. on the galciv2 website and get the bonus pack, because it isn't included in the box!

Top Bottom