Galactic Civilizations 2 vs Space Empires 5

Both of these games seem to have a very similar layout and I was wondering if any one who has played both for awhile would like to compare them. I tried GalCiv2 at a friends, but didn't have much time to get into the game and there is still a lot of aspects of this game I didn't get around to trying out. I borrowed SpEmp5, but still have not done much with it other than load it on the computer. I like the layout of this game better than GalCiv2, but really don't know how the game dynamics work yet. I'm curious about things like how the ai compares between these games. Which has a better combat, space and land, of them. What game has more micromanagement tedium. Well, anything about them, really. If any one would like to comment, I would very much appreciate it.

Space Empires V have better space battles and tech tree IMO. I hate those "not so funny" tech descriptions in GalCiv II. GalCiv is more "player friendly" though.

SE5 is alot better definitly. there is so much more you can do.
Be sure to download Balance Mod as well

I would personally recomend to GalCiv II for some time and then SE5, that if you are new to this kind of games, GalCiv is (at my point of view) a more basic, yet complex, game when compared to SE5, so you can use it as some kind of large tutorial.

wow this board is dead with a capital D

...but I'll weigh in on this several month old topic anyway. SE5 is a horrible broken piece of garbage that shouldn't be played by anyone ever. GalCivII(+ expansions) is a very solid space based 4x game and I'd even go so far to say it's nearly on par with CivIV in terms of overall quality.

I found SE 5 a bit clunky and incredibly hard to fully wrap my head around. GalCiv 2 is a very solidly-built, Civ-like game. I actually wound up playing more single-player hours with it than Civ IV.

Civ IV still has a huge edge in total hours though, thanks to dozens and dozens of hours spent playing it online with friends.

A minor point of interest though--I'm in a seemingly very tiny minority that likes GalCiv 1 better than the sequel.

I like SE5. I probably liked SE IV a bit more but mainly because it had had more time to be enhanced over the years.

Probably the biggest difference between SE V and GalCiv has to do with the AI. In GalCiv, if I couldn't get the AI to use a feature, it just wouldn't go into the game. Hence, no mine fields or many other very intricate features.

Top Bottom