GalleyAttack sound problem

MeteorPunch

#WINNING
Whenever any unit, including the original galley, uses GalleyAttack.amb (Galley attack sounds) just a single file plays, GalleyAttackWater.wav, and the other two .wavs are silent.

I've tested this on three Civ III installations: two Steam Civ III: Complete installs on two different computers, and one vanilla CD install, and they are all having this problem. Other .amb files play fine.

Here's the galley attack sound files for reference:

GalleyAttack.amb
GalleyAttackArrow.wav - doesn't play
GalleyAttackBow.wav - doesn't play
GalleyAttackWater.wav

What operating system do the two computers use? Reason I'm asking is because I found that .amb files played perfectly fine on my old computer (Windows XP), the one I originally played CivIII on, but on my newer computer (which is actually somewhat old now) (Windows Vista) units with .amb sound files (most of them) don't play the sounds properly. Not sure if it was the operating system or some other factor involved with the computer, as I'm not technically knowledgeable enough when it comes to computers, but just asking in case the situation is similar.

Hmm. As I said, I don't know enough about the technical aspects of computers, so I don't know if the operating system has anything to do with it or if it would involve other things like a sound card or something, but to me it's curious that myself and themanuneed have no problems with the .amb files on a Windows XP computer, but the problem seems to be showing up on newer Windows OS's.

Other people experiencing anything like this or have any idea about the possible causes?

What about setting Civ3 to (I don't know how it says in the English-talking Windows version) "execute as XP-compatible program" (free translation of what my computer's proposal about compatibility) ? See what I mean ? Right-click -> Properties -> Compatibility.

Top Bottom