1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

game 42 spoiler

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of the Month' started by mangor420, Jul 3, 2004.

1. mangor420

mangor420 Warlord

built one ship and no wonders won conquest 450 b.c.

2. Weedhopper

Weedhopper Chieftain

I didn't do very well,myself...never really recovered from trying to take Athens with the three units I got from huts and having all three lose with hardly a scratch on the archer defending :( Greece ended up the superpower at the end of my game...I was just a thorn in their side :mad:

3. ferenginar

ferenginar Grand Nagus

I was a little more fortunate at Athens, when approaching from the South with 2 chariots and an archer, I was lucky that 2 barb legions attacked Athens from the North, I moved in and finished them off. Still a long way to go.

4. SirBois

SirBois Chieftain

The first GOTM I finished! And as far as I can remember my first Emperor conquest win. I usually haven't got time enough to finish the GOTM in time, but this one wasn't too time consuming and I had a few evenings to spend.

I won by conquest in 1904, but hardly deserved to win. I made a couple of basic mistakes: wavering strategy, I got myself mixed up in wars on all fronts, a mistake that cost literally ages to get over. In the end my hordes of dragoons were unstoppable.

I didn't save at exactly the right moments, so I just hope it's acceptable.

5. A+ombomb

A+ombomb Actuary

I always considered a ver early conquest far too risky, and I think the misfortunes some of you are seeing aren't worth the potential gains. Disband early troops or use them as police instead of being over zealous, the gains of a conservative approach are nearly as lucrative as capturing an enemy city and there is no risk! Wait for the big tusky trunkers to stomp your enemies down.

I guess if your sole ambition is to snag the early ending star then it might be worth it.

6. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Emperor

AAARRRRGGH! I jumped on the Buffalo and was happy to start there. However, after a couple of units and a popped hut, my second city was founded in 1950 BC -- EXTREMELY late. Oh well.

The slowness (typical) has cost me -- I opted to have the Hanging Gardens, but was about three turns too late & lost the Colossus -- and may lose Copes as well.

Hmmm since I just finished MPE, I may have to build Sun Tsu...and exercise it. :borg:

7. A+ombomb

A+ombomb Actuary

With this starting spot expansion should be very fast - you can have your worker use the forest (4 total shields) and pump out 2 or more settlers before your city grows to size 2, so long as you don't build a city in the mean time (size 1 lone city isn't disbanded when a settler is built at size 1). I think the ideal is 2 settlers before settling the second city, but thats just a guess.

8. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

I tried an OCC this time due to lack of time for a full game. I think I suffered with a slow start. I was building Space Flight when I ran out of time, and probably had enough spare food vans to build the spaceship in the quickest possible time.

9. ferenginar

ferenginar Grand Nagus

1930 - 1 Zulu size 2 city left, all other civs gone. Do I splat them or keep them as a pet, and go for the SS?

10. la fayette

la fayette King

pet, please ;)

11. ferenginar

ferenginar Grand Nagus

Pet it is then

12. Ace

Ace Emperor

Did anyone notice that the Buffalo you start on,next to that string of lakes, is next to the "international date line" and can be used by two cities? I bet DoM had to work to set that up!

13. la fayette

la fayette King

Given the map, I suppose this is a typo.

14. la fayette

la fayette King

I decided to make use of the feature that allows to build a settler in a city size 1, when that city is your capital and only city.
    Founding Karakorum on the buffalo in 4000BC provided a production of 4 shields/turn = one settler in 3500BC (goes wandering about) + one more settler in 3000BC. This meant 3 cities by 2900BC and discovery of Monarchy in 2200BC.
    Marco and HG were built around 1000BC and rushbuilding of vet elephants started soon after that. Special feature (due to the fact that this GOTM is played on a pangea): zero camel delivered, but lots of tribute demanded. Conquest in X00.
    (I am going to play a comparison game in order to find out if founding a city around 3400BC with the first settler would be more profitable)

15. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Emperor

Yes I started on the buffalo as well, but popped some huts and got units -- so there went the shields...didn't pay close attention (strike that -- didn't pay any attention for over a dozen turns whereby I then noticed that my soon to be first developed settler was being built one shield per turn.) :blush:

Late mid game I noticed the dateline effect, but my cities were still too small to take real advantage of it.

Eked out SYWA circa 1000 AD & was all prepared to crow about how I was going to stomp over the ai with my vet knights & soon to be vet crux... Well here I am in the late 1800's and only had about five cities taken -- and three of those were purchases. Talk about playing like a drunken sailor...:blush: :blush:

Had less than half the wonders -- missing Col, ME (yeah on this map no biggie), Pyr, and ...Leo's. Haven't been this far back in a long long time.

But was able to "re-discover" an old angle of play. Finally nabbed Tactics & had all 5 of the other civs (Greeks were taken out ong ago by the Egyptians) within 5 techs of one another, including me. Sooooo after bouncing too many vet knights against the cities defended with muskets, I applied a late gams strategy of surrounding with alpines (and a few dips to help the move) then striking a turn later with the cav.

A few turns later, I was able to take the Egyptian capital and saw a nice message -- "We have the Pyramids; we have Leo's" and then we had a rond of upgrades...aaahhhhh. But wait; it gets better -- they had a tech (EVERYbody except for me had Industriaization!) so we get the tech and a SECOND round of upgrades.

It is a much more comfortable feeling to have fistfulls of Cav, Alpines and Rifles compared to the ragtags previous...Time to romp. Five turns later, two civs discover the purple flag forever. :D

16. grigor

grigor Prince

I saw the dateline right away and resolved to use the buffalo twice, beginning by roading it to get some science while building my size 1 settler. First hut was a chariot, and I began popping huts. I stopped after getting Cerimonial Burial from one, but when I met the Greeks I was gifted Warrior Code, and the plan of early Monarchy bit the dust. Freed from that plan, I popped all the huts I could find, getting mostly cash and units (one Tribe) with the odd barb. I got Trade from the Romans (!) in 1500 (!), built MPE in 950, wiped out Greks and Egyptians in 900, and finally Monarchy in 825BC.

I was concerned about this game with the undisciplined beginning, but the civ shaped up very quickly after Monarchy. It makes me wonder whether the strategy us old-timers favor of delaying hut-popping until Monarchy is as effective as we think. I will retry a few games with the troglodyte policy of hut-popping without mercy and see how fast I can get. This map seems to be made for that.

The map is large and I found transportation difficult. I finally got home in 320AD, later, I fear , than M. Lafayette, but without city bribing - not by design, but because I built dips so late... :crazyeye:

17. ferenginar

ferenginar Grand Nagus

Kept my pet, size 1 or 2, it kept building alternate warriors and settlers. I bribed everything that came out, disbanded the warriors into nereby city build, and sent the settlers to found a new city.

I finished my empire building with Full SS in 2019. 101 cities.

Not particularly good, but I didn't have the time to micro-manage the ever increasing number of cities over the final 50+turns.

18. golem

golem Warlord

What did you find out?

19. DSN

DSN Chieftain

But I thought you were meant to be French?

What is an int. date line?

20. mangor420

mangor420 Warlord

no not a typo 450 b.c. conquest