game crash

wuhjah

Prince
CIVCRASH.png

Before I start a lengthy debug process which I guess will be running all the unit flc files and everything else in a debug game, I was hoping someone had an idea of what to check first in this crash. Essentially it happened on the first turn in era 3. Thanks.

Hey, wuhjah!
Never saved error codes so just a few guesses from me.
This may be caused by unloading immobile unit from ship - or capturing last civ's city while its settler is on a boat.

If this is the gfx-related error code - then yes, all .flc files to review (which is boring task, but).

Immobile units unloading from a ship tend to cause infinite loops rather than full out application crashes, which you don't really get notifications on. But it's worth checking out in case if it does pan out with Sima Qian's Multiplayer tool to play as other civilizations:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/multiplayer-tool-play-scenarios-up-to-31-players.456432/

Note, I haven't tried testing it out myself, so I don't know how well it works, but others have reported success with it.

One thing to note about graphics related error, is that you will need to analyze the graphics in every direction, as I've seen errors which are direction dependent. Ex: Death Animation West

For reference:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/microsoft-visual-c-debug-library-error.603477/

From what was found in the past with the Exception code c0000005 is the following:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/help-me-with-a-mod-crash.354094/#post-8913120
https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...stions-too-many-to-list.464739/#post-11579047

1. Missing Attack.flc from the unit .ini file. I would take this with a grain of salt as usually if a missing .flc reference file will result in a more descriptive error, rather than a full out crash, and units can function without a specific attack.flc in the ini file (ex: Workers, and using stealth attack on them to kill them). However, still worth doing an .ini review of the unit files, and following it up with Debug Mode and in every direction.

2. Not using the latest patches. Doesn't solve the problem, but the latest patches will at least tell you what error you are running into. To clarify, is this the Steam or the CD version of the game?

There have been people who simply changed the Civ Game to use compatibility mode for Windows XP but this is rare.

Usually, players who have the Steam Version of Civ3Complete need to add the word Unknown between PING and HOST in the Labels.text file but generally you would have already had problems long before the Third Era.

It can be helpful to open the Game and in the Civilopedia, run through all of the Units and Improvements to see if there are any Graphics Problems. Generally, the Game will report a missing file but it does not report an incorrect Graphic File such as IF a file is not a .pcx. IF this is the problem, it will show as a Faulty image in the Civilopedia. If that is the problem the image can be corrected.

Many times it is an incorrect .ini file in conjunction with an incorrect Unit file.

As Bluemofia pointed out, generally the Game does not crash but hangs if the AI tries to have an Immobile Unit Unload itself anywhere outside a city but it can cause an immediate Crash. I have seen this happen.

Check the Units that start in the Third Era at the time of the Crash. Check their .INI files and Unit files and Unit Animations in all directions with Flicster. If a Unit has a Faulty animation in only one direction, that can cause a Crash. If a Unit has a Faulty File or animation in any direction, Flicster with state that the file is incorrect and depending on the error, ask if you want to correct it...or if any direction is faulty, it will show the animation as seriously wrong visually. IF a Unit has a Faulty animation in any direction, the Unit maker would have to correct it.

Wolfshade, Bluemofia, Vuldacon
Thank you guys for the help.

I don't think I have any immobile units (but I'll double-check,) so that's out. During Q/A testing I believe I went through every Civolopedia entry and didn't find any graphics errors, so I'm gonna skip that one for now. I use the CD version and have always used that without issue, and I think I'm up to date, which is comical since this game is a decade out of date ;) ; so I am gonna skip this one two. That brings it back to unit flc files and .ini files, so I'll focus on those for now.

Thanks again. I'll report back if/when I find the culprit.

That worked out quicker, and better, than I had hoped. You guys turned what felt like was going to be a needle in a haystack search into something quite a bit more manageable.

This error/crash was indeed caused by a unit .ini file missing information.
The Bobby .ini file is missing the default flc information.

6 minutes, not a bad turnaround time. :p

Good to hear that you were able to find the solution quickly.

Top Bottom