1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Game crashes when building first city (win7 64bit)

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Technical Support' started by PiMan, Jul 30, 2010.

1. PiMan

PiMan Chieftain

EDIT: Problem solved. See post #2.

I can (apparently) successfully install Test of Time because the installer and game are 32bit programs, unlike the original Civ2 games. But when I start the game and attempt to build a city, the game crashes.

What I've tested so far:
    • It happens in any game type.
    • The game is not adverse to the existence of cities, since I can skip my turn and cheat to see my opponents have built cities in their first turn.
    • I can open the city dialogue if the city already exists, such as in the Midgard scenario. (as stated, building a new city still results in a crash)
    • Reinstalling didn't help. Neither did reinstalling to somewhere other than the Program Files folder.

2. Catfish

Catfish Chieftain

3. PiMan

PiMan Chieftain

OK, that worked. I had just assumed it wouldn't earlier because XP 64 bit has many of its own problems that Vista and Win7 don't share, and the topic title and first few posts make no mention of these versions of Windows.
    I didn't realise that this was because the topic was older than Vista.

4. petervick

petervick Chieftain

I've found that going to the orders menu and then selecting build new city also works. Seems to be something with the shortcut