Game crashing on startup

King Victor I

Chieftain
The screen goes black as though it were trying to load in fullscreen mode (which is wrong), then hangs indefinitely, ctrl-alt-del does not open task manager. If I press esc I get an error box saying "ArtInfo: [ERROR] not found" and it sends me back to my desktop.
edit: FWIW I already re-did the Civ4.ini and ini.bak files, which occasionally revert to default for no reason. This is the usual cause of loading in fullscreen mode. Didn't help.

Last edited:
Something even stranger happens to me, when I start a new game in the future era, and pass the turn or I open the tech tree, and move the cursor the game closes, suddenly, without a "stopped working" window, curiously only happens in that era, and transhuman too, or that's what i think. However in the ancient, medieval, renaissance, etc. It does not happen,
Why did this happened?

Memory problems. I've had random crashes to desktop, freezes on actions.

It's all due to the memory or processing load put on your computer.

32 bit game, won't play better on a 64 bit operating system, with 8 Gig of ram and 1 Gig video card.

Looks nicer in higher resolution, larger maps, etc, but has that inherent problem of using only 1 core.

Something even stranger happens to me, when I start a new game in the future era, and pass the turn or I open the tech tree, and move the cursor the game closes, suddenly, without a "stopped working" window, curiously only happens in that era, and transhuman too, or that's what i think. However in the ancient, medieval, renaissance, etc. It does not happen,
Why did this happened?

I can confirm this happens when starting in the Future era. Either ending the first turn or going into the F6 screen crashes the game. I wouldn't know why this happens.

I also noticed that when starting a Future Era game on Blitz speed, you only have 6 turns until retirement. I don't think that starting a game this late has ever been looked at.

I can confirm this happens when starting in the Future era. Either ending the first turn or going into the F6 screen crashes the game. I wouldn't know why this happens.

I also noticed that when starting a Future Era game on Blitz speed, you only have 6 turns until retirement. I don't think that starting a game this late has ever been looked at.

I hope they solve it. Although I have not seen what happens when you start a normal game from scratch and you arrive at that era.

I tried starting an Ancient Era game, then adding all Future Techs with WorldBuilder. The game did not crash.

I also think if there was something causing the game to crash every time it reached the future era, then someone else would have reported it by now.

Memory problems. I've had random crashes to desktop, freezes on actions.

It's all due to the memory or processing load put on your computer.

32 bit game, won't play better on a 64 bit operating system, with 8 Gig of ram and 1 Gig video card.

Looks nicer in higher resolution, larger maps, etc, but has that inherent problem of using only 1 core.

I believe 64 bit os does matter because I have rare CTDs since using Win7 64.Playing the same game on 32 bit is impossible.

I believe 64 bit os does matter because I have rare CTDs since using Win7 64.Playing the same game on 32 bit is impossible.
That is true. Game is 32bit and can use only single core, but performance is better with good 64 CPU with 16gig ram.

From what I understand it goes this way:

On a 32bit OS the game had access to 2 or 2.5GB RAM only. There is a switch that allowed 3GB but still the OS could handle 4GB altogether and it did need memory for the OS itself.

Now on a 64bit OS the game still cannot use more than 4GB but... now it can use up to 4GB if you have more than that and the OS has surplus RAM for itself.

So it does matter if you have 4GB or 6GB but it doesn't if you have 6GB or 16GB.

(Correct me if I'm wrong)

Just to mention that I use 4GB with 64 bit and no problem even with Huge maps.

I have a 6 gig memory, 64 bit and Play gigantic maps easily.

As I understand it, the game can only access 4 gig of memory.

I rarely see it access over 1 gig for its process, but 100% of a single core, I have 2 cores.

I have a 1 gig Video card, that it self made a huge difference. as did going from 125 to 256 meg video cards as well, on a 32 bit computer.

Thing is, base game, has been designed over 10 yrs ago.

You could play 8 bit pong game on your 64 bit system, and it would play QUICK, but its still an 8 bit pong game.

Why did this happened?

This has happened to me a few times lately even though my computer is a beast. I found that on the first turn upon loading the game, if you move your camera around the entire map slowly and give the game time to process it all before ending the turn, the game won't crash. I haven't had to do this in later stages of a game, but I hope it gets me through future eras as well. Just to note, this happens to me with gigantic maps.

This has happened to me a few times lately even though my computer is a beast. I found that on the first turn upon loading the game, if you move your camera around the entire map slowly and give the game time to process it all before ending the turn, the game won't crash. I haven't had to do this in later stages of a game, but I hope it gets me through future eras as well. Just to note, this happens to me with gigantic maps.
The whole map is explored by a technology in the modern/trans-human era while in the early game the majority of the map is black. This definitely means much greater stress "graphically".

I tried with the future era and nothing, but i tried to do the same thing with the transhuman era and nothing happened because of what I remember. Maybe it's a bug.

I tried with the future era and nothing, but i tried to do the same thing with the transhuman era and nothing happened because of what I remember. Maybe it's a bug.

Yeah, I tried starting a Future era game and using my cute little camera-panning strategy and it failed miserably. Nothing I did could keep the game from crashing. I guess it likely is a bug.

Never noticed the future era bug, I'll have to look at it when I get back at my modding pc in some weeks.
Just for your information anyway, I've autoplayed a whole game on a test 300x200 map or something like that, much bigger than a gigantic map. No crash, no hang.

Top Bottom