[GS] Game crashing. Sometimes when alt+tabing. Sometimes not

Skaeren

Chieftain
Hey guys,

Game crashing somewhat unpredictably. Shows this when it does.

Code:
Unhandled Exception
Code:  EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Error writing address 0x0

Call Stack
-----------------------------------------------------
??? ! ???   ???, line 0
??? ! ???   ???, line 0
??? ! ???   ???, line 0
??? ! ???   ???, line 0
??? ! ???   ???, line 0
??? ! ???   ???, line 0
??? ! ???   ???, line 0
??? ! ???   ???, line 0
??? ! ???   ???, line 0
??? ! ???   ???, line 0
??? ! ???   ???, line 0
??? ! ???   ???, line 0
??? ! ???   ???, line 0

Not sure what is causing it. It happens when I use mods. It's also happened with all mods disabled (but not uninstalled).

EDIT (24/05/2020): I figured maybe it was due to playing in borderless window. Tried switching to fullscreen, and the moment I hit save it did it as well. Same no code error.

EDIT (24/05/2020): Tried running as admin. Binaries don't even open. Also, the bug report window (but not the exception) I've also noticed will appear when I first try to launch the game (after clicking launch in the new launcher); game still runs though.

Last edited:
I am getting the exact same crash today. Happens regardless of which GPU I run the game on, as well as regardless of whether it is on my internal SSD, external SSD, or external HDD. Through all of the installations and uninstallations, still crashing. It happens either upon startup, a few moves into the game after it starts lagging considerably, or most often, when changing any graphics or resolution settings. I should also note that when the game DOES run, my framerate is really low out of nowhere; lower than I've ever seen it. I've got an i7-9750, 16 GB RAM, and an RTX 2060 SUPER, and I should be doing better than 34 FPS.

I've got the same issue, this pops up when i quit the game.
Code:
Unhandled Exception
Code:  EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Error reading address 0x60

Call Stack
-----------------------------------------------------
??? ! ???   ???, line 0
??? ! ???   ???, line 0
??? ! ???   ???, line 0
??? ! ???   ???, line 0
??? ! ???   ???, line 0
??? ! ???   ???, line 0
??? ! ???   ???, line 0
??? ! ???   ???, line 0
??? ! ???   ???, line 0

This seems to be happening for users on both the Epic and Steam versions of the game (including me). I haven't tried this, but someone mentioned that uninstalling the game, deleting the contents of the Civ 6 folder in My Documents, and reinstalling fixed it for them, while others reported it did not. Worth a shot maybe.

When this happens, check your game exe directory for a .dmp file. Then zip that up with your logs folder and post it here. We would love to take a look.

For reference, the game exe directory on my machine is here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Binaries\Win64Steam\

When this happens, check your game exe directory for a .dmp file. Then zip that up with your logs folder and post it here. We would love to take a look.

For reference, the game exe directory on my machine is here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Binaries\Win64Steam\
with the entire logs folder? also it's doesn't show .dmp file for me (just .exe with file type being "dump file")

Attachments

• Civ6 weird crash.7z
    4.6 MB · Views: 116
After happening several more times and seeing no response i think i'd drop another file set here

Attachments

• Civ6 weird crash 2.7z
    1.5 MB · Views: 77
I got myself a Readyboost USB bumping me to almost 8GB ram and it's still the same.

Attachments

• Civ6 weird crash 3.7z
    104.8 KB · Views: 64
I'm still having this crash, it happens on the AI's turn and corrupts the game at a certain point
Unhandled Exception
Code: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Error writing address 0x0

It's became unbearable. Uninstalled, cleared the residual files and registry but still, does not work. I don't even mention the eternally broken launcher, but the game with freshly bought pass...
Is there at least some kind of safe mode to revert graphic settings to fullscreen?

Attachments

• CivilizationVI.zip
    29 KB · Views: 51

Any hint on what is causing this error? It's hard crashing and corrupts the save at a determined turn.

Unhandled Exception
Code: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Error reading address 0x0

Attachments

• CrashDMP_Logs.zip
    826.5 KB · Views: 60
Top Bottom